Bleeding from the pee pee - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-03-2005, 09:24 PM Thread Starter

Question Bleeding from the pee pee

I have a question. My mom has a male dog that will be 13 yrs old on the 22nd and about week ago she had called me up asking me if I could search on the cpu to help her out. She had noticed that when he lay down then get back up, he would "spray" blood. She did tell me that it was like he didn't even realize that he was doing it. She also told me that it didn't bother him either. We both thought that maybe something had gotten into his wee wee when he went outside. Because he does tend to lay down on the ground when we put him out. She was given him an antibiotic and now she said that it has stopped but I was wondering if anybody can tell me what could have cause that to happen. Could it be the start of kidney failure? Or bladder infection? I don't know!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-03-2005, 09:43 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

If she hasn't had him seen by a veterinarian, she really needs to do so. It could be something as simple as a UTI or it could be something as serious as cancer.

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-03-2005, 11:08 PM

I agree with Jade...he needs to see a vet. Especially at his age. I would never recommend medicating anyone (human or animal) without a proper diagnosis and prescribed treatment. The bleeding may have stopped, but that doesn't mean he's all better. I hope you find out what the problem is. Let us know
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-04-2005, 03:38 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Thanks Mandie, I was busy with a client and couldn't elaborate.

Stephanie

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-04-2005, 08:03 AM
Suffers From Southern Belle Syndrome

Any time blood is coming out of a place it shouldn't, you really need to see a vet. It could be something simple and easy to cure but it could also be something serious, just like Mandie (Chinchilla Girl) mentioned. You cannot know for sure until you see the vet.

It's better to be safe than sorry, know what I mean?

― Rowan

I've been frosted!

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-04-2005, 09:42 AM
Paw-Talk Therapist

I echo the above. A vet visit is manditory in such a situation.

Owned by 26 chins, 7 cats, 2 dogs, and 7 aquariums

Come drop by!

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-04-2005, 12:57 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for all the replies. My mother has a couple of problems. She can't drive and my father would never take him to the vet. I think that it has something to do with his age. But she is scared that it might be something bad because she just put his mother to sleep after 14 years of age. And she might think that it could be cancer. I just don't have the heart to tell her that it could cancer or something else. How would be a good way to tell her? I need help with this one. Because he has been with us ever since he was born. He has always been the baby of our household. I don't know what to do. HELP!!!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-04-2005, 01:32 PM

The best way to tell her is to just be honest. It could be something bad and he needs to see a vet. It is not fair to let him suffer if he is in pain.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-04-2005, 04:56 PM
Suffers From Southern Belle Syndrome

Tell her that it might not be something life threatening now, but if she waits on taking him to the vet, it could be too late and whatever is wrong will escalate into something that cannot be fixed. You don't have to mention the 'c' word (we all know how scary it is sometimes), just simply tell her that it's best to get this looked into right now before things get worse.

Since your father won't take him to the vet, could you?

― Rowan

I've been frosted!

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-05-2005, 11:57 PM

I ditto the above. Tell her that there's a good chance that it's something they can fix if she gets him in right away and gets treatment for it. But if she waits too long, it may be too late to help the dog.

I hope things work out and she takes him. Please keep us updated.

Tags
vet visit