Blind Dog - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-22-2008, 12:12 PM Thread Starter
Guarded by Waffles

Blind Dog

Yes first it was a deaf dog, now it's a blind dog. Waffles has gone blind. I hope that he can heal from it but we're not optimistic. Both eyes have lost sight.

Here's the question though: What can we do to give him exercise? We want to take him for a walk but he goes so slow...what else can we do to get him exercise?

Christine
Mommy to:
2 cats: Suess and Jezebel
2 horses: Winter and Junior
3 dogs: Panda, Maggie, Snoopy

And the rest:
5 cows, a bull and one mean buffalo

Gone but not forgotten:
Jester, cat
Waffles, dog
Gunny, ferret

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Check out
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-22-2008, 02:48 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I suggest going the same way over and over

[/CENTER]

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-22-2008, 03:16 PM Thread Starter
Guarded by Waffles

Thanks. I hope the meds work but I am not optimistic. I wish we had realized earlier he was having trouble but he compensated so we didn't even realize. I found two books on Blind Dogs and suggested that to my mom. I hope it all works out.

Christine
Mommy to:

And the rest:

Gone but not forgotten:
Jester, cat
Waffles, dog
Gunny, ferret

Check out
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-22-2008, 10:46 PM
Betta Bomb

Awww, huggsies!!

i hope all is well and you can find a way to hlp Waffles more comfortable.i can see Coco's eyes silvering over too but he's still good..All the best
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-25-2008, 09:33 AM

My childhood dog went deaf and blind, but it occurred over time and she adapted pretty well. As long as we didn't change anything about the layout of our home she ran around just fine. We built her a ramp since she couldn't do steps!

Good luck with the books. I also found a link that might have some helpful information.

http://www.deafdogs.org/resources/otherlinks.php
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-25-2008, 09:58 AM Thread Starter
Guarded by Waffles

Thanks I'll pass the link onto my mom

Christine
Mommy to:

And the rest:

Gone but not forgotten:
Jester, cat
Waffles, dog
Gunny, ferret

Check out
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-26-2008, 02:28 AM
Salamander Burgermuffin

Aww poor puppy.. I think allies eyes might be going as well as if she doesn't have enough problems. Im not sure what you could do for exercise.. what kind of dog is he? I was thinking, maybe if it was a larger dog, maybe sorta acting as a seeing eye person and always keep one hand on him while out on a walk, not sure if that would actually help or not. Or maybe you could create like a scent trail around the back yard somehow.. I dunno, thats really a good question.. Maybe if they take him for a walk on the same route every day, then he would learn to trust where hes being lead and just kinda go with it.. but i understand why he would walk so slowly.. it would be really stressful to be lead around some random place not being able to see.. with cars and such around.. maybe if you could take him somewhere quiet to walk? like an out of the way park.. or maybe like a running track, like at a school or something.

My Furry Family
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-05-2008, 10:10 PM

I know this is an older post, but I am fostering a blind pug right now and she is really good at getting around. She flies around the back yard with the other dogs and even manages to avoid the toys and things that the kids leave on the floor, she was so good we didn't even realize she was blind until she had her vet check. It may be that Waffles just needs to adjust and get used to navigating without sight. I hope the medicine works and you don't even need to worry about it.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-06-2008, 08:56 AM Thread Starter
Guarded by Waffles

He's actually getting worse. He is confused and we are checking to see if it's SARDS. I don't know what that stands for but I hope he doesn't have it. If he does, well we've done all we can for him.

Christine
Mommy to:

And the rest:

Gone but not forgotten:
Jester, cat
Waffles, dog
Gunny, ferret

Check out
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-06-2008, 09:31 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

oh thats sad, i'm sorry

[/CENTER]

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-06-2008, 10:00 AM
Super Moderator

I missed this post before.

I'm sorry about your dog. I definatly know what it's like - Naomi, my families cocker spaniel, is deaf and blind. She has been deaf for awhile, but just recently went completly blind.

Naomi went blind because of glaucoma so she won't ever get her sight back. She's been blind for awhile now and even though we never move the things in the house around, she'll still walk into walls and furnature on a daily bases. It's sad, but I guess she is slowly getting more use to it.

To give her exercise, I went out and got her a head collar to walk her with. That way I can kind of use it to steer her away from things so she doesn't walk into them. She only gets walked early in the morning or later at night when no one else is out, because she can't see or hear other dogs or people and isn't good when they suprise her. Also, she's always walked the exact same route so she has somewhat of an idea where she is.

Although Naomi seems to be taking awhile to complety adjust to being blind, she's still seems like she's happy.

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-06-2008, 06:41 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

I am so sorry to hear about your doggie. My cat Tyler is deaf and he lost part of his sight from high blood pressure.
Would he be interested in playing tug? That may help.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-07-2008, 08:01 AM Thread Starter
Guarded by Waffles

We have two strange dogs, they don't like the ball or to play tug. Strange huh? We;re trying to take him on walks every day but it's going slow

Christine
Mommy to:

And the rest:

Gone but not forgotten:
Jester, cat
Waffles, dog
Gunny, ferret

Check out

Tags
blind, dog, waffles