Bones - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-14-2005, 01:57 PM Thread Starter

Bones

What do people think about giving dogs bones?
I know that in all the cartoons dogs love bones but then mice love cheese so
My gfs mum used to buy bones and cook them for her dog and then put them in the freezer.
He would sit near the freezer every time he wanted one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-14-2005, 03:10 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

you should never give a dog cooked bones!!! Cooked bones splinter and can cause blockages in the dog, costing thousands of dollars and a very risky operation to remove it!!!
My dog gets raw bones all the time. Raw bones are fine, unless your dog is a scoffer. Then you need to make sure that they only get large bones so they have to chew them up...can't swallow a big chunk, which could also get stuck and result in a similar operation! I imaging you'll get lots of different responses to this but I feed my dog the barf diet, raw bones are a big part of her diet! And her teeth are as white as white and I have never brushed them! She's about 4 years old

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-14-2005, 06:00 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I agree with RSBunny, you shouldn't feed a dog cooked bones. Raw bones are ok, I personally don't feed them because Rocky would probably swallow it whole. Just don't feed chicken bones, they can splinter easily.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-14-2005, 06:12 PM

Ditto to what Carmen said. I give mine raw bones as well. They love the marrow bones, and I can get them at the grocery store fairly cheap.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-14-2005, 06:22 PM
Suffers From Southern Belle Syndrome

Sami and I give our dog a mixture of things to chew on.

We'll get huge raw bones for the dogs to squabble over (doesn't matter if we get two, one always wants what the other has) and sometimes pig ears and pig tails. We always buy our fresh bones (pig ears and tails included) from some of the local pet stores here, since there's nothing artifical added to them.

But, if there's a bone from something we've cooked, we never give it to the dogs since usually there's some spices on it from the meat that upset the dogs tummy.

I don't see a problem with giving dogs bones, though. As long as you supervise them while they chew on it, because cooked or raw, something could always happen.

― Rowan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I've been frosted!

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-14-2005, 11:44 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

Actually you can give a dog raw chicken bones! Mine loves chowing down on a carcass! But like I said before...steer clear of smaller bones if your dog is a scoffer..this usually means 'steer clear of chicken bones' but only in those circumstances. I'd discuss it with your vet. You'll get a thousand of different opinions on it but basically your vet will be the one fixing a problem if there is ever one so I'd go on their advice!
My vet's advice is NEVER feed a dog a cooked bone!!!

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-15-2005, 06:22 AM Thread Starter

I thought that too.
We tried to tell her but she would not listen.
I think even the vet told her.
They have both passed away now.
She is who we inherited the house and the cats from.
I will not be giving my Schnowzy any bones when I get him.
He will only be small
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-15-2005, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja_smurtles
I
I will not be giving my Schnowzy any bones when I get him.
Raw bones are healthy and needed for almost all dogs. Most important thing about raw bones is they keep your dog's teeth clean. Usually my vet recommends annual dental cleanings once a year from about age 2 on...well, when he looked at Kali and Orion's teeth he says it's not needed. The bones they chew keeps the gums healthy and the teeth tarter free which in turn keeps gum disease from occuring. We see a lot of nasty dog teeth at the clinic and about 95% of them are due to not being given bones to chew. You may want to reconsider that statement.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-15-2005, 01:32 PM

exactly what Mandie said
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-15-2005, 01:52 PM

Mandie, how often do you give raw bones?

I have very recently started supplementing my dog's diet with raw food. He gets chicken wings, chicken heart and beef liver. I am also looking for chicken necks. He loves the raw meat. I have tried to feed it to the cats but they aren't having any part of it.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-15-2005, 03:51 PM Thread Starter

What type of bones then?
He will only be a little dog and I do not want him to choke.
Will he be able to eat it as a puppy?
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-16-2005, 12:16 AM
Tarzan Mama of Two

ninja..yes he can eat them as a puppy! Start him on chicken necks and build him up to chicken wings! Then you can start on bigger beef bones if you want to! I started my 4 week old kitten on chicken necks! first one took him an hour to get through...at 16 weeks old it takes him about 10 minutes.

Candycane what type of dog do you have? I'd only recommend chicken necks if he was a toy breed! Anything bigger has the ability to swallow them whole It's great that your supplementing your dogs diet with raw food! Just ease up on the offal...offal should only be 10% of a dogs diet. Instead of the offal just go for plain mince. I give my dog (on an all natural diet) a mixture of beef/lamb/chicken/kangaroo. That's the different types of meat she gets (raw of course) and then she gets bones as well (mainly chicken cause it's less fatty) and be sure to give them some vegies too!! You can cook them occasionally and mash them but just throw them in a blender and pour it on top! Or add the meat too! Your dog will love you for it!

post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-16-2005, 10:23 AM

Thanks, RSBunny! I have a golden retriever so I guess the chicken necks are out. We typically only give the offal as a treat and in very small portions (for example, two chicken hearts, or an equivalent size of liver). He doesn't even get it once a day. He has been getting a chicken wing everyday now and his stools seem to be just fine. I'm not sure that I'm quite ready to go completely raw but it's a start.

Now, the cats are a different story...they won't touch the stuff! Even my semi-feral boy, Max.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-16-2005, 11:43 AM Thread Starter

Still feel strange giving a dog or cat raw stuff.
So I could give my puppy raw mince with mashed carrots or something?
Tilly loves cooked meat like chicken, mince and chops is this ok for her?
My mum used to cook the chicken neck for my dog Rebel
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-16-2005, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candycane
Mandie, how often do you give raw bones?

I have very recently started supplementing my dog's diet with raw food. He gets chicken wings, chicken heart and beef liver. I am also looking for chicken necks. He loves the raw meat. I have tried to feed it to the cats but they aren't having any part of it.
My dogs get beef leg bones...they get a new one every two months each because it takes them that long to wear them down to a point where it could be a swallowing problem. We buy two at a time, one for each dog. I would recommend for Golden's the beef leg bones...pork legs and feet wear down fast and are easily swallowed.
Orion fell asleep chewing this one
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ChunkSleep.jpg (14.1 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by Chinchilla_Girl; 02-16-2005 at 12:07 PM.

Tags
barf diet, golden retriever, local pet store, pet store, pet stores