Boo Boo Bee Sting... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-21-2004, 07:05 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Boo Boo Bee Sting...

Bowser was stung by a bee this afternoon, right over his right eye (his first bee sting, ever). We were in the yard, the dogs were on the lawn playing and I was on the deck, when Bowser yelped really loud. I thought Angus may have scratched him in the eye, but that wasn't the case Bowser ran up to me on the deck and was pawing at his eye. I was checking his face and eyes all over to see what was the matter. Once I saw his eye again, it was red and all of the sudden it started swelling up over his right eye. I called the both of them into the house, so no more bees could get them, and ran into the kitchen to get ice for the swelling. I never had to deal with a bee sting on a dog before. It was hard to find the stinger because he is a dark color. He was so good about it too. I kept the ice there until some of the swelling came down, then I finally separated the hair over his eye, saw the stinger and pulled it out with tweezers. I called the vet to see if it was ok to give him Benadryl, because that's what I usually take when I have allergic reactions to bug bites. They said it was okm just 2 caps. After I got the stinger out, I cleaned it and put Neosporin on it. He is fine now, but they said to watch him in case he has a reaction to it later on

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
'Berry 4ever in my
RIP 5/27/91-4/4/05
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-21-2004, 07:11 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Aww. Poor thing. It's good that he's ok. None of my pets have ever been stung by a bee.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-21-2004, 08:14 PM
Angel to Abandoned Puppies

aww poor baby. Glad he's feeling better though.

MCBA Member

I've Been Frosted
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-21-2004, 08:50 PM
Fluffy Potatokisser

Scary isn't it? My Dad's old Golden got stung once...he thought the bee was a fly and caught it...stung him right in the mouth! That dog had the fattest lip I ever saw! We did the same as you did with the ice and getting the stinger out...the Benedryl helped and it ended up just fine. Good job taking care of him!

Chin Mom to Lila, Skye, Ty, Rolex, Calypso, Lizzie, Jax, Sam, Sage, Lorenzo, Spitfire, Holly, Dylan, Leia, Punky, Kylie, Skylar, Jetta, Oreo, Emma, Forest, Georgie, Alexis, Picador and all the kits!
Pittie Mom to Kali and Orion
Rattie Mom to Drake and Dumbo
Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Plain ole Mom to Zach, Brandon and Connor!
Come visit us at
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-21-2004, 08:58 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Sasami, Chrisanne and Mandie. Bowser is sleeping right now. I've been watching Bowser closely the rest of the evening and he seems to be doing better. Hopefully, he won't have any reactions. You're right Mandie, it is scary, first, because he welped and was pawing at his face and I didn't know why and second, because it swelled up so bad over his eye. My first reaction was to panic but, I took a deep breath, because I didn't want to scare Bowser, and calmly said to myself, handle it as you would yourself. I never had to deal with bee stings with any of my animals. Only with my husband, me and my step daughter. I didn't know what a dogs reaction would be. I'm glad he's ok too
everyone and

'Berry 4ever in my
RIP 5/27/91-4/4/05
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-21-2004, 08:59 PM
Playful Pup

Yup, Benedryl is wonderful! Nicki is highly allergic to bees and thats what we give her when she's stung. I know how scary it is when your dog gets stung! Then they act like big babies for a day or so milking the attention. nicki was sytung on the paw last year and limped for days - only Monday it was the left paw, Tuesday the right, dack to the left on Wednesday Gotta love them!

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-22-2004, 12:28 AM
Wacky Chimpnose

aww..i'm so sorry!! but great reaction!! it's so hard not to freak out when they are hurt, isn't it?

how is your baby now?

hey catnapper - LOL!!! what a ham!

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-22-2004, 02:17 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

I'm glad he's OK too - quick thinking and TLC

[center]

[
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-22-2004, 03:52 AM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Glad to hear he is doing okay... Our Scooby was stung last year before leaving Chicago, and we didn't notice it until his entire right side of his face had swelled, had to rush him to the emergency vet, because the swelling increased over his muzzle and onto to his left side, poor guy. After an injection and some med's the swelling went down, and he was on benadryl for a few days. It is definitely sad and scary to watch your pet go through that.

MCBA Member

Submit your info today

I Sell Chinchilla Supplies!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-22-2004, 11:09 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Linda, Jane & Kim, Thanks for the well wishes for Bowser. He's doing much better. The swelling went down where the sting was, but last night around midnight, he did have a some kind of sinus reaction from it, because the sting was right over his right eye but closer to the middle of his forehead. My husband, and I were laying on the bed watching TV and Bowser was at the bottom of the bed. He put his head up in the air and started making snorting noises, like for air, which is something I never saw him do before. He was blowing in and blowing out air. It was really wierd. I never saw or heard this before. I checked his nasal area, there was nothing there (for like dirt or something). My husband and I looked at each other, so, then we thought it was still a reaction from the sting, like his nasal area near his forehead was swollen but we couldn't feel it inside. So, since the vet said it was ok to give him Benadryl, every 8 hrs, we gave him 2 more Benadryl caps, I gave him some right away, and he was fine. He slept like a baby. I watched him throughout the night. He has not made that sound at all today. I think the reaction is over with. Thank god

'Berry 4ever in my
RIP 5/27/91-4/4/05

Tags
emergency vet