breed suggestions for future - Page 2 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-19-2004, 02:50 PM

the first thought that came to my mind from your post was a greyhound but you said they dont appeal to you. exercise doesnt necessarily mean walks. my border collie mix and my rottie mix got about 40 minutes a day but we would play fetch, do some training (shadow loved agility so we did that with him) and play chase, find the toy and other things. sometimes mental activity wears a dog out as much as physical.
by the way, shelties are known for barking from what ive heard, i dont know if that will be a problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-19-2004, 03:16 PM

I am not all that familiar with the different personalities and requirements of most breeds. I am a mut gal myself! LOL

Best of luck
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-19-2004, 03:58 PM

Since you want to adopt from a shelter or a resue group I wouldn't even bother looking at breeds until you find an individual dog with your particular requirements. It will take a lot of searching but the right dog may not be what you expected. Ask to bring your dogs to the shelter/rescue to make sure everyone gets along. DO NOT bring them home first. The new dog will be entering your dogs' territory and it might make a confrontation. Have them meet at the shelter outside on neutral territory. If you prefer breed then I would seriously consider breeders or a breed specific rescue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-25-2004, 03:18 PM

Search PetFinder and the various rescues in your area. Most of the time when you adopt from a rescue they will have a good understanding of each individual dog, as far as temperment and activity level, etc. You just might find the dog of your dreams is not the breed you thought you'd end up with! Keep in mind, even when looking at specific breeds, every dog is different and has it's own personality.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-25-2004, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
Wacky Chimpnose

i'm totally with you guys on petfinder.com! that's where i got chaquita. i brought penny with me up to Oklahoma when i went to look at the dog i found. i didn't like that dog, but i loved chaquita! i will probably end up looking for a dog that is being fostered just so i know the most about it.

thanks guys!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
border collie, border collie mix, collie mix, family dog, german shepherd, german shepherds, golden retriever, older dog