breeding? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-21-2003, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
I'll name him Squishy!!

Post breeding?

Ever since I got my dog I have wanted her to have puppies...We have never gotten her fixed cuz she is never around boy dogs anyways so we dont have to worry about her getting pregnant. but my mom told me when we got her that we could maybe let her have one litter sometime but we have never had a dog to breed her with. My friend has a Corgi that is just soo cute....and I was thinking maybe we could bring him over sometime. course I was going to wait til the spring so when she had the puppies it wouldn't be so cold....but I wasnt sure if it would be a good mix...Corgi and cocker spaniel....
although I really want her to have puppies I am not yet sure if I will be able to do that anywayz cuz my dad will probably throw a fit. He didnt want me to have a dog to begin with though and now when he goes out there he always plays with her and talks to her and stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-21-2003, 04:44 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I'll be absolutely honest with you - I don't think you should do it. I think that for every cross-bred animal out there, it creates less homes for those in shelters slated to die or destined to a life in a shelter environment. Shelters are so overcrowded due the dog and cat population that I don't feel it's worth it to breed her when you can just go get a puppy from a shelter if you want another puppy.

Not to mention if your dad didn't want her initially, I doubt he'd be very receptive to puppies running around, pooping and peeing everywhere, the possibility of an expensive c-section, the vaccines that the pups will need, the worming that they'll need, and the general increased care, money, and responsibility that comes with breeding any species.

That's how I feel about the situation.

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-21-2003, 04:47 PM
Proud New Mommy

My oppinion... There are sooo many un wanted dogs out there, and I know all of us here are animal lovers and don't realize that some people out there are just sick.. I've been wanting to breed my dog just once because she is the best dog in the world... well shes a human and I wanted her baby to grow up with her so when she passed away, her baby would be like her a little- unfortuately she isn't going to have just one pup- ya know? If you have extremely good homes lined up for at least 8 puppies, then the puppies will be safe.. just remember to follow your heart in whatever you do and make sure your parents are slightly behind you cuz they can turn your world crazy when they want to!! I hope this doesn't sound like I know everything- cuz I don't!! Just definately follow your heart..

and I agree with Jade on the vet bills, also..

"Live your beliefs and you can turn the world around"- Henry David Thoreau
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-21-2003, 05:39 PM
I Just Need One!

All I have to say is I don't think you should do it. It will only add to the population of mixed breeds like this, especially since there are so many homeless ones. Puppies are a lot of work, not something you just try out. You would have a lot of research ahead of you and a lot of work too. The whole thing would also be very expensive. I really hope you get your dog spayed. There may not be any males around but you never know when one can get loose. My mom's first dog was never neuteured because she thought the same way and he went and got the neighbors dog pregnant then got hit by a car and died. I don't want your dog to have this happen too.

Besides, don't do anything that may upset your father. He may like it at the beginning but what if he gets fed up? To the shelter or out in the street they go. (unless they have homes ready for them from the beginning). I'm glad you came here first. I don't mean to lecture or anything, it's just what I believe.

Liana, Mickey, Sky & Rocket

post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-21-2003, 06:04 PM
PT's Troll Hunter

I dont think you should do it either, unless your going to breed a specific breed, not a mix. I agree with Liana, as there are enough "mutts" out there that need homes. And even if you DO place them all, stats showed a few years ago that only 4 out of every 10 dogs survived the first year of their life due to the overpopulation and mixed breeds. (I think that was the statistic... if not maybe someone can give the accurate or more up to date one.) Just think about this... no... DO this. Go to your local or closest dog pound or shelter. I bet you that almost ALL of their cages are full. Ask them if they've got any more room for more animals. Chances are they'll tell you that you have to be put on a waiting list. Then find out how many dogs are on "death row" that day. You just might be suprised. Also, if the cages have the resident dogs INFO, you'll see most are there because the owners "no longer wanted them" or "couldn't take care of them" or "didn't know he'd end up peeing in the corner". Puppies are very cute, yes. But sometimes, due to the imperfect human nature and stupidity on prospective owners, they turn good pups into big behavioral problem dogs that would most likely not be put up for adoption.

I understand that you would like to see how the puppies would turn out like, that they'd probably be very cute as both those breeds of dogs are gorgeous. But just try to think of the life that the majority of those pups would live out... I think you'll do the best thing.

-Mallory

post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-21-2003, 06:59 PM
I Just Need One!

Quote:
Originally posted by Ms.Redd
I dont think you should do it either, unless your going to breed a specific breed, not a mix.
I don't agree with breeding two pures either unless you are a responsible breeder who knows what they are doing. How many pures do you see in the shelters? A fairly large amount...

Liana, Mickey, Sky & Rocket

post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-21-2003, 09:09 PM Thread Starter
I'll name him Squishy!!

Well for one thing I am not going to do it unless my parents say it is ok...it was just a thought...and a question...about the breeds...not supposed to be a lecture on unwanted dogs and shelters...and they are not going to be thrown out on the street....trust me I know there are lots of dogs that dont have homes...I didnt ask that...i was asking about the too breeds together....and whatever people say about dont mix breeds only have pure breeds....I believe that that is kind of ridiculus....and I have argued with my bf on it several times...he wont get a "mutt" cuz their "stupid" well I dont agree with that. my dog is dang sure not stupid.

and about getting my dog spayed...we have had her for a long time like about 6-7 years or so and she is always in the yard....and there are not other dogs around that get in...and if she did have puppies I know a lot of people that love dogs and would probably be happy to have one...and my dog probably wont have more than 5 anywayz....if that....and if she did end up getting pregant without us putting a dog with her we would end up getting her spayed after but that has yet to be a problem the only dogs she are around are either girls....or they are neutered so...

I've been frosted!

Interested in Photography or Art? Want to show off your pictures or artwork? Please join the

post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-21-2003, 11:28 PM
Wacky Chimpnose

Arrow see the bigger picture

gecko-
first of all, the reason everyone here is "lecturing" you is because it sounds like you need one. there are many reasons that you should not breed your dog. lots of people have given some of these reasons, but here are a few more that you may have not considered:

1. death/injury to YOUR own dog. many dogs die while giving birth or suffer mass complications leaving them permanently injured.

2. dogs that are not spayed have a greater risk of getting CANCER. also, everytime your dog goes through heat, she is in mental and physical anguish. and female dogs are in heat 3 WEEKS out of every month. you should spay your dog! why wait until she has an accidental litter?

3. your dog is too old to be bred. you said you have had her for 6 or 7 yrs. 6 yrs. old is too old.

4. you are assuming that everyone will want a dog. if you ask your friends/neighbors if they'd take a puppy, of course they are going to say yes. but when it comes down to it, taking the puppy doesn't equal that puppy getting a loving, life-long home.

you are misunderstanding what everyone is saying about mixing breeds. we all know that mix-bred dogs are just as smart as purebreds. but some people do not think like that (ie: your boyfriend). if he or someone like him went to the pound to get a dog, they would pass up your cocker's puppies because they are not purebred. sorry, but that's the way the world works. and if you think they won't end up in the pound...think again.

i am also from texas and when i recently searched for a dog to adopt from a shelter the choices were ENDLESS!! i'm sure a lot of those dogs/puppies had original owners too, but somehow they ended up homeless.

please think about what you are doing. think about all that your own dog will have to go through.
and know that not spaying her and just assuming that no dog will get into your backyard is just ignorant.
i can only hope that your parents are responsible enough to not allow this.

-jane
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-22-2003, 09:07 AM
Paw-Talk Therapist

I have to agree with everyone, I was going to say don't do it either, and that not spaying or neutering a dog because it isn't around the opposite sex is NO reason not to get it fixed. Fixing an animal is the BEST thing for them, it prevents many health problems. I used to work in a Vet hospital as an Asst. in VA and saw many health problems with un-fixed animals, cancer being the biggest, but the one case that sticks in my mind to this day, is the 10 yr. old Italian greyhound that came in due to complications (unfixed) and her uterus and Intestines were so enlarged I honestly don't know how something so BIG was inside this little dog and wasn't dead. I have nothing against breeding, but if your going to breed, please do it for the right reasons and try to keep the breed with the same. I own 2 mixed breeds and let me tell you they are absolutely wonderfu, but the orignial owners of the pups were giving them away in hopes to find homes faster, because selling them for a price wasn't working. It is just harder to find homes for mixed breeds in certain situations than it is for purebreeds

MCBA Member

Submit your info today

I Sell Chinchilla Supplies!
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-22-2003, 09:21 AM
Proud New Mommy

And it's not only about finding homes for these animals.. I believe if you're going to breed, you need to rescue. If your home isn't read for one dog (your dad's oppinion) then it's not going to be ready for 6-8 puppies running around. I know alot of people that want puppies also, and I have pointed them to the animal shelter because that IS where there are dogs that need homes. You should realize that no one meant anything mean about this until something gets looked over and ignored. That is the last thing you want to do if you're going to be responsible enough to breed.

"Live your beliefs and you can turn the world around"- Henry David Thoreau
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-22-2003, 11:13 AM
PT's Troll Hunter

Gecko, we're all sorry for coming across as giving lectures, and honestly I think some people in here are being too stern. We all know puppies are cute, and that mix breeds are fine. But you asked us what we thought, and we told you. If it came out as lecturing, we're sorry. We just wanted to make sure you knew all the facts.

Okay I just did a little research:

Petfinder.com is a popular adoption site. Surely you've heard of it.

In the category for Cocker Spaniels (most are mixes) there are 1488 possible adoptions.

In the category of Corgi (again, most being mixes) there are 408.

Together, for those breeds alone, there are 1896 possible homeless dog adoptions.

In total, there are 84,972 possible DOG adoptions alone.

PLEASE take into consideration that this is ONLY on ONE site alone.

It just goes to show that many dogs aren't as wanted as they are when they are just born. You often find stupid reasons. I'm not saying you aren't responsible, or that your wrong for wanting your pooch to have puppies. But it just isn't a good idea, and we ONLY want to help you understand why we feel this way.

Trust me, I know exactly what your going through. See my avatar? Thats Bean, she was probably 5 in that picture. She wasn't spayed until she was about 6. Even though she's fairly old to be undergoing that particular surgery, it was for the best. It prevented her from having a litter of pups and from having doggy cancer or other illnesses brought on from not being spayed. As much as I loved Bean, as smart as she was, as good a disposition, I knew she shouldn't have pups. I won't go through all the reasons again as I'm sure you've heard them plenty if you've actually taken into consideration the other posts.

No one wants you to be mad, I'm not marking you at all. I just was answering your question the best way I knew how, and I commend you for asking.

Oh and Liana, I understand that there are many pure's in shelters too (thats were we got my rotts). I didn't say it but I pretty much meant it, of what you said, a responsible, reputable breeder. For the breed, not the money, I say.

Something me and my sister Melissa just *do* is look at other puppies, like at petstores or from ads in the paper. The other day we went and looked at some Labs. Labs are georgeous, but these labs... No. Terrible breeder. The dam was WAY too old, and she had a teet (sp?) infection. Her fur was falling out and it looked like mange. The pups were TOO young to be up for sale already, they were even getting sick as we were there!! (puking, bad diarherra, etc.) Her sire... well lets just say this: She admitted that her sire was too hyper for a lab and her dam was too lazy for a lab. She said she breeds them to get a disposition right in the middle. It was SO terrible. The sire was too big for standard too... It was bad. I left angry and disgusted.

post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-22-2003, 01:12 PM
Poo dont scare me!!!

Unhappy

Gecko,
No one here wants you to be upset or offended, but its the truth. Has your dog been health tested? I dont mean a regular check up, but a health test, to test on your dog what is common for the breed to become ill from, is the Corgi being health tested? I would assume not. Here is a few links to a cocker spaniel website that I think you should read. If you are truely going to breed your dog for the right reasons then everything you do is great, if your dog was a little younger that is.

http://www.cockerspanielinformation....ping/index.htm

http://www.cockerspanielinformation....lping/time.htm

http://www.cockerspanielinformation....ngsyndrome.htm

http://www.cockerspanielinformation....uppy/index.htm

There is alot of information to look up before you breed your dog. A lot you need to learn before she would have pups if that is what you decide. It isnt a small responsibility. If you breed your dog, you will have to give her all your time, and especially when the puppies come. They will need all of your time. What if the mother rejects the puppies? You will have to feed those puppies every hour or two, if thats 5-8 puppies, thats a lot of work, say it would take you 20 mins each puppy. Thats alot of time. If you have school or work, there is no way you could take all that work by yourself. Even if your parents helped, it would be a very huge responsibility. Im not trying to be rude, but by the way you speak, it shows that you are not ready to breed a dog. If what you want to see is an actual whelping, then you could call any reputable breeder, and she will show you all that a whelping requires. Its a lot of work, I hope you do a lot more research before you think about breeding your dog. For your dogs sake and the puppies.

post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-22-2003, 01:24 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

Gecko, sorry, but I have to agree with everyone else.

Just a thought, if you want to spend time with puppies why not volunteer at a shelter? I'm sure they would love to have your help, not to mention the puppies and dogs would love the extra attention too.

Rhonda

post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-22-2003, 02:17 PM
Miss New Booty

Gecko,
I'm sorry but I too have to agree with everyone else. They all said all the things I wanted to say. The number of puppies and cats is outrageous at shelters. All of these animals are being put to sleep for no reason each and every day,why? Because someone wanted to breed their dog, someone let their cat out, etc. This is actually a cat website someone sent me. I would really like you to take the time to read it, just how many cats stemmed from a person's cat *accidentally* getting out. And after reading, just think about where the *puppies* would go after your dog had them. I'm sure this lady didn't think that would happen. I would've had no idea, had I not seen this article.

http://www.tulsa-animalshelter.com/just1litter.htm

This person that sent me this works in shelters, she fosters animals, she watches them be put to sleep every day. She devotes all of her time to saving animals. I would suggest working in a shelter for a few days. I bet you wouldn't want to breed your dog after seeing all the unwanted puppies. Yes, Scarlette is right, you could go help and make a difference in all the puppies that are there now.
We don't want to lecture you, just giving you the facts. There are homeless dogs and cats litterally *everywhere*!! Why not go adopt a dog?? Please please, think about this. Don't breed your dog, PLEASE get her spayed.

~* Jackie *~

post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-22-2003, 03:47 PM
Poo dont scare me!!!

Scarlettes idea is a wonderful idea. All those dogs and cats in shelters barely ever get to interact with humans, other than the shelter workers, I think it would be a great thing to do for you and for the animals out there.

Closed Thread

Tags
animal lover, animal lovers, animal shelter, cocker spaniel, mixed breed, mixed breeds, reputable breeder