breeds to consider? - Page 2 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-30-2006, 08:44 PM Thread Starter

I am going to read about collies, it was suggested also. Maybe a GSD also. Also goldens have been suggested quite a bit.

I like labs, but the labs I have seen are very very extremely rambunctious (sp?) as puppies, more so than any others dogs I have seen. and the one in my dog's training class was more interested in everything else than training really. They had a hard problem keeping his attention.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-30-2006, 09:01 PM

That's just how some puppies are lol! It's very hard to keep MOST dogs' attention in my opinion lol!!

I eventually want to get another dog but I'm not sure if I want a large or a small breed. Since we're still doing the apartment thing we're leaning toward another small breed.

Now just a few quick things here to clarify with you...

You're looking for a dog that is loyal, easily trainable, likes to follow you around, is not very rambunctious, not a wire-haired, 50 lbs. or so...hmmm...anything else?

To me it sounds like the perfect breed for you would be the Australian Shepherd
post #18 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-30-2006, 10:18 PM

I'd look into a boxer or an American Bulldog. I love GSD too.

Now, if you decide to go the way of giant breed I can definately vouch for a few breeds.

The key in any breed is WELL bred.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-30-2006, 11:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeekABooChin

You're looking for a dog that is loyal, easily trainable, likes to follow you around, is not very rambunctious, not a wire-haired, 50 lbs. or so...hmmm...anything else?

To me it sounds like the perfect breed for you would be the Australian Shepherd

I have had suggestions for the Aussies and that is definitely one I want to look into although some people think they are too active, but others say they are not as much as the border collie. They say they are active like huskies, and well my bf has a husky so I dont think that is a big problem.

And I understand all puppies like to play and be rambunctious, but not quite so much as the labs.

Trainability, well I dont know what is considered easy/medium/difficult. So probably easy-medium. not extremely difficult.

I havent thought a lot about Giant breeds. I am afraid they might be a little too big, but I have heard great danes can even be apartment dogs. That is really the only giant breed I know anything about, and I dont know much about it at all.

Is the Newfoundland a giant breed? I like those a lot. THough I have heard they drool a whole lot.
post #20 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-30-2006, 11:23 PM
Dinky Corsetkisser

lol I have an aussie and I love him to pieces...hes all about playing ball and frisbe and he loves to go to the lake and go camping...my pop has always had Germans and they have been so loving and loyal (but they wouldn't play ball lol) I myself want to get a yellow lab...but really it will come down to your personal tastes lol...I have 2 dogs from teeny tiny to my australian shephard and I love them all

oh and training my aussie was the easiest I have ever had lol...my others are slowly learning lol and I have had them 5 years ...

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #21 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-30-2006, 11:32 PM
RAT ADDICT

Greyhounds are a wonderful breed...they are doclie,friendly,tolerant,get along with other dogs,cats and children and are easy to train.However they are couch potatoes.They are a large breed but weigh between 60-85 lbs (average) and do well in apartments.They cannot be off leash in open areas tho as they are sighthounds.They don't shed much and do not have the doggy odor even when wet.

Newfies are considered giant breeds.They also drool alot.BUT they are wonderful dogs with big hearts!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #22 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-31-2006, 12:23 AM Thread Starter

Im not really sure about greyhounds. They look too skinny to me. I cant stand to see dogs ribs sticking out and I would probably overfeed them trying to get them to fatten up...lol But thats odd you say they are couch potatoes, I always thought they would be pretty active.
post #23 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-31-2006, 01:16 AM
RAT ADDICT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gecko
Im not really sure about greyhounds. They look too skinny to me. I cant stand to see dogs ribs sticking out and I would probably overfeed them trying to get them to fatten up...lol But thats odd you say they are couch potatoes, I always thought they would be pretty active.
Yeah greyhounds are skinny as they are canine athletes...they are one of the oldest breeds around.Greyhounds were not bred to race, they were actually bred originally to hunt and course hares and rabbits...I think they are the most beautiful dog out there...

Thats a misconception...greyhounds are often thought to be high strung and hyper dogs because the race...but they are not.They love lying around and are so calm it is unbelievable!They are fine with 3 or 4 walks a day and they do not need to run everyday...a run in an enclosed feild once every week or so is fine...Many grey owners say owning a greyhound is like owning a large cat.

* Lisa *

post #24 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-31-2006, 06:24 AM
Curmudgeon

Just for conversation's sake, why does it have to be a specific breed? How about considering a rescue as an option? When you are ready to get a dog, why not visit a few animal shelters?

If you are "into" a certain breed, I can understand the urge to get one, or possibly breed/show. But if you are undecided, why not give the shelters/rescues a few visits?

I know quite a few professional trainers, some have even trained animals for TV shows and commercial. ALL of them prefer shelter dogs for their intelligence, demeanor and flexibility.

Just another point of view....

bob

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
I think, therefore I drive fast.
post #25 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-31-2006, 11:31 AM

my boyfriends aunt has a black lab that is 10 years old and she is NUTS. I mean full of energy, still runs around like a puppy, but she is pretty well behaved and very smart.

I think your best bet would be to go to a small local dog show where you can interact with the dogs and talk to the breeders about the characteristics you want. Or find someone who has the breed you are considering and ask to dog sit or just hang out and get to know the dog. I went to a dog show in Pittsburgh last weekend and you could go around and pet the dogs and talk to the owners and it really helps to see them up close and see if that's what you might want. Newfies are about the size of a st. bernard or bigger. They do drool alot (most of the ones I saw had to wear bibs so they didn't mess up their fur before being shown) and all of them were laying in front of fans. With you living in TX, a dog like that might not be the best thing because they aren't very active in the hot weather. plus they drool a lot more when they are hot.
post #26 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-31-2006, 04:29 PM Thread Starter

I really wasnt thinking too much about getting a newfie, though I think they are beautiful.

Someone else suggested a dog show, and a website that tells when and where they are, but the only ones close to me were all agility trials. I dont know if there would be good breeders there or not. Although I still would like to go just to watch.

Well I want to get it from a puppy. Like from the time it is available to leave the mother at like 8 weeks. Also I am interested in finding the breeder before hand and hoping to be able to get to know the parents and get to see the puppy as it is growing up before it is ready to come home.

I know it is great to rescue dogs, we rescued Buddy and I know puppies can be found in shelters, I just kind of would like to know a lot about what I am getting before hand. It is still an option though. And at that time I may find something in a shelter, but I want to know about all the breeds cuz i will probably prefer even a shelter puppy that is one of the breeds I want or a mix of one of them.

And after visiting some Aussie pups at the pet store today, I think I am in love...lol. Although it is soo sad one that we saw so should not have even been taken away from its mother yet!! She was still missing lots of puppy teeth. We usually go there to play with the puppies, and yesterday I saw sibes and aussies there so my bf and i went back today. I feel so bad for them!! I know it is bad to buy from pet stores though, I just like to go and get them out of their cage for a while and give them some play time!

Last edited by Gecko; 03-31-2006 at 04:32 PM.
post #27 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-31-2006, 06:31 PM
RAT ADDICT

Most pet stores get puppies from puppy mills...bad,bad places...the dogs are neglected,abused and do not get the proper care or attention or vet care...they live in dark,damp and tiny cages where they are bred constantly...the puppies are usually weaned way too young and have alot of health problems...I unfortunatly know someone who got a pug puppy from a pet store that is notorious for getting puppy mill puppies...the puppy had a hernia,kennel cough and was severaly allergic to things...now she spends alot of money on vet bills...

If you REALLY want a purebred and are leaning toward an aussie, seek out aussie rescues.There are tons of purebred rescue groups...I happen to be with two and know from experiance that rescue dogs make excellant pets...I am with Greyhound Pets of Atlantic Canada and Beagle Paws.There are several purebred rescues and I am sure you could fins one for aussies...and may even find rescue puppies!Beagle Paws always has beagle puppies for adoption as alot of the dogs we rescue turn up pregnant...

* Lisa *

post #28 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-31-2006, 08:05 PM
Dinky Corsetkisser

my brother got Puppers from the shelter, he was 7 weeks old, so darn tiny...he has been the greatest dog, hes mine now...and I just adore him. Hes pure Australian shephard, or at least the vet says so...hes going on 10 years old, he has alot of energy, but hes also a great snuggler lol...they are a great breed

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

post #29 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-01-2006, 10:02 AM

we just adopted a border collie mix b/c i want to get into competitive agility. i would only suggest a bc if you want an active dog b/c he doesn't stop. we walk well over a mile every day plus play fetch for a half an hour or more. i am so looking forward to getting an at home agility course to give him something new to do. he is however the most loving dog i have ever owned and so so smart. in three weeks he has gotten a good handle on potty training learned to sit, is working on stay and comes when called. my other dream dog is a golden retriever.
post #30 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-01-2006, 01:58 PM
RAT ADDICT

Hey guys, have you also considered flyball for your dogs??Seems like an awesome event!!

* Lisa *

Tags
animal shelter, animal shelters, australian shepherd, beagle paws, black lab, border collie, border collie mix, bull terrier, collie mix, dog park, family dog, german shepard, german shepherd, golden retriever, kennel cough, pembroke welsh corgi, pet store, pet stores, potty train, potty training, puppy mill, puppy mills, scotia duck tolling retriever, siberian husky, vet care, yellow lab