breeds to consider? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-29-2006, 09:31 PM Thread Starter

Question breeds to consider?

OK. Well most of you know I already have a beagle. I am thinking about getting another dog in about 2 years after I graduate from college. But I want to have plenty of time to do research and find good breeders and stuff.

So I am trying to decide what kind of breed. I love my beagle, but I would like something a little larger this time. around 50 lbs or larger, but probably not giant.

I just did a search and read through a border collie thread on another dog forum. I love these dogs and think they are beautiful and intelligent but Im not sure I am ready for one of those.

I like the Nova Scotia Duck Tolling retriever although I havent found a whole lot of info on them. I also like the Siberian Husky and Alaskan Malamute. Although since my bf just adopted a husky I am thinking of maybe something different, though I am still considering them.

I am not too worried about the grooming requirements. I want a friendly dog that is loyal. I cant think of things too specific right now that I want.

Anyways I am looking to get a list of some breeds to consider and compare instead of just finding one I like and going with it and then deciding later I might have liked something else better.

If you have any further questions to know what kinds I might like just ask me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-29-2006, 09:49 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

My first thought was an Australian Shepherd but they do need alot of stimulation and excercise. Great dogs, though .

How much excercise can you provide? How long are you home? Do you have a fenced in yard?

Those are all questions you should ask yourself.

Some other breeds I can think of right now would be the American Pitbull Terrier, Shetland Sheepdog, Boxer, Airedale Terrier, American Eskimo Dog, Chow Chow, Dalmation, Greyhound, Miniature and Standard Schnauzer, Samoyed, Schipperke, Brittany, and Whippet.

Do you want an active, energetic dog? Or a calmer, quieter one? Do you prefer certain coat legnths, colors, or patterns?

I'd start by going to akc.org and looking at all the breeds .

Oh, and here is one of those selector things that say what breeds would fit in best with your lifestyle: http://www.pedigree.com.au/select/

Of course, there are always shelter mutts, too .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-29-2006, 11:11 PM Thread Starter

Well it will be in a couple years and I plan to have a bigger yard. I will definitely have a fenced in yard, cuz I will not move somewhere without one for my beagle. Hopefully it will be big though. And most likely I will have lots of time to play with them cuz I will most likely be moving in with my boyfriend and I will probably stay at home, if anything I will probably do more of work at home photography stuff.

I want a dog that is active, but probably not so much as a Border Collie. A dog that likes to play, possibly a frisbee dog, and possibly agility, I hope to make an at home course for my beagle this summer mostly just for the fun and exercise, not for competing. Im looking at around 40-80 pounds most likely. It may waver if I find a breed I really want out of that range.

The hair isnt a big issue. I was thinking something with the coat similar to a border collie. But it isnt that important. Although I am not a big fan of wire-haired breeds. I prefer a silkier, smoother coat.

If I go with a spitz it will be a husky or a malamute though Im sure. I was set on one of these before, but since my bf just adopted one I was thinking of maybe something different. I just like soo many kinds of dogs I want one of each...lol...but I know I cant handle that...

Some dogs that I am really not that interested in (no offense to those who own them, just I dont think they are for me) are terriers, rotts, dobes, and dogs similar to those.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-29-2006, 11:14 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

The Shetland Sheepdog would be a really good choice. I'd check them out . The Australian Shepherd and Dalmation might be good too.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-29-2006, 11:42 PM Thread Starter

Thanks!! I will definitely read up on them and do some research
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-30-2006, 12:03 AM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gecko
Some dogs that I am really not that interested in (no offense to those who own them, just I dont think they are for me) are terriers, rotts, dobes, and dogs similar to those.
Hey now! I have 2 terriers and a dobe!

I was actually going to suggest a doberman. Scarlette can be high energy at times when we're outside but she's a big couch potato inside.

A friend of mine has an Australian Shepard and she is a very smart dog but she always acts like she just drank 10 cups of coffee......constantly moving and wiggling around. She seems really fidgety. She a gorgeous dog and my friend keeps her active playing frisbee and going for long walks.

Rhonda

post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-30-2006, 12:32 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlette
Hey now! I have 2 terriers and a dobe!

I was actually going to suggest a doberman. Scarlette can be high energy at times when we're outside but she's a big couch potato inside.

A friend of mine has an Australian Shepard and she is a very smart dog but she always acts like she just drank 10 cups of coffee......constantly moving and wiggling around. She seems really fidgety. She a gorgeous dog and my friend keeps her active playing frisbee and going for long walks.
I could have swore there was some kind of smiley hiding behind a curtain on here and I cant find it. lol

One thing with the dobes, Im not sure I am prepared for the big issues surrounding cropping and docking.

I am interested in having a dog that plays frisbee though. My beagle couldnt even figure out how to really pick one up...lol...though she did use it as a bed when she was small enough...
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-30-2006, 02:00 AM
Suffers From Southern Belle Syndrome

As far as cropping and docking--if docking is done it is at 3-4 days of age, therefore it's a breeder's decision. Cropping, however, is usually at the OWNER'S discrection since it is done when the dog is older. Therefore, you do not have to crop if you choose not to (I personally would choose not to).

And having a sheltie myself, I can say he is NEVER tired. He wiggles and jiggles and moves around CONSTANTLY. The dog can go on an 8 mile walk with you and still have energy to burn. So, unless you want a dog that never sits still, like an Assie and Border Collie, I would NOT suggest a sheltie.

― Rowan

I've been frosted!

post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-30-2006, 02:09 AM Thread Starter

I would prefer the ears uncropped if I were to own a dobe, but I know a lot of dobe owners who thinks its so bad there are dobes with uncropped ears and tails. I just spent yesterday reading through a thread on another forum about banning docking and it was not pretty.

Someone who owned an Aussie said they are not quite as active as a BC. and that they are tend to be a one person dog and will follow that person around. That is actually something I would like. I love my beagle and I know she loves me, but sometimes I feel that she likes my boyfriend or my sister's fiance better. I would kind of like a dog that would be more attached to me, but not aggressive towards other people.
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-30-2006, 07:27 AM

Did you ever consider a golder retriever? They are very loyal loving dogs who can be playing and active one minute and laying on the couch the next. Shadow is lazy, but he does get spurts of energy. I think he is just enjoying the good life since he had such a hard beginning. And since they are retrievers you should be able to train it to play frisbee, fetch, etc. Mine is 109 but he is much bigger than average. (plus he is about 10 lbs overweight) Most are 35-75 lbs.
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-30-2006, 07:28 AM

Oh and he will definetely get attached to you but still be EXTREMELY friendly to other people also. They are also really smart.
post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-30-2006, 01:51 PM Thread Starter

Goldens are one I am also thinking about. I dont really know any personally though, I plan to read up on them also.
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-30-2006, 02:11 PM Thread Starter

Here is a list of answers I posted for someone else that might help to know what I will be able to provide.

OK well I am not planning to get one for about 2 years. I will then have graduated from college and will most likely be moving back to my hometown with my boyfriend. I will most likely be more of a stay at home person, if I work it will be at home or not something extremely time consuming.

I definitely will have a yard. I will not ever move somewhere without one. If I do happen to have a place without a big enough yard I will wait to get the dog until I can have enough room for it. But I will not live somewhere without one cuz I wont take away my beagles running space. And I hope to maybe this summer or next make an at home agility course for my dog. Not for competing but just for fun and exercise.

If at that time I also do not have the money to take care of it I will wait. This isnt going to be a for sure thing at all but I want to have a really good idea for when the time does come and have enough research and everything to know which dog will be right.

Socializing the dog will not be a problem. We dont have dog parks, but I know lots of people with dogs.

I dont want a dog that is extremely difficult to train. But Im not sure what people consider easy to hard. I am training a beagle now, a lot of people consider them somewhat diffficult to train cuz they are stubborn, but I havent run into many problems.

Grooming really isnt that big of an issue. I am not a big fan of wire-haired breeds.

I am not looking for a protective dog. I am looking for a friendly dog that can easily be trusted around children and other animals.
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-30-2006, 02:30 PM

My very first dog was a Boxer. Talk about a loyal dog Great with kids, LOVED other people. He passed away at the ripe old age of 12. We brought another Boxer into our hearts shortly there after and I couldn't be more pleased. It's something in their personality that gets me so attached. Both of my Boxers absolutely loved fetching. Roman loves the frisbee. Maverick liked to play keep away lol.

Anyway-- The breeds that seem to fit the bill here are as follows:

Boxer
Pembroke Welsh Corgi (the second breed I've owned)-- and I know you wanted a bigger breed, but this is a VERY large personality in a small package
Australian Shepherd
German Shepherd
Shetland Sheep Dog
Samoyed
Collie
Golden Retriever
Irish Setter
Lab

A good site I'd suggest for just some general browsing is www.puppyfind.com Below each breed there is a little graph that shows you the dogs' "needs" as far as size, grooming and exercise requirements, good with other dogs and watchdog abilities.
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-30-2006, 08:35 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

I've known a couple of Goldens and they are really smart, loyal dogs. Mandi made some great suggestions in her list too! I forgot about German Shepards, Collies and Labs.

Rhonda

Tags
animal shelter, animal shelters, australian shepherd, beagle paws, black lab, border collie, border collie mix, bull terrier, collie mix, dog park, family dog, german shepard, german shepherd, golden retriever, kennel cough, pembroke welsh corgi, pet store, pet stores, potty train, potty training, puppy mill, puppy mills, scotia duck tolling retriever, siberian husky, vet care, yellow lab