Brittle nails - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-17-2005, 09:30 PM Thread Starter
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

Question Brittle nails

Riley has the most brittle toe nails of any dog I've ever had! I haven't even had her a year and she's already had 3 broken and bleeding toe nails. Should I be giving her some type of vitamin to help the nails be less brittle? Keep in mind that I can't give her anything with alot of Zinc because it's very common for Bull Terriers to either have a problem metabolizing it, or can be on the other side of the spectrum and have a deficiency. I think I'll ask to have some blood work done on her when she goes in for spaying on the 31st just to see where she's at.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Rhonda
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-17-2005, 09:40 PM

How often are you trimming her nails? I've found dremmeling the toenails to be a good way of keeping them from splitting and breaking. Have you checked into that hoof strengthening stuff for horses? I'm sure you know what I'm talking about Just a thought
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-17-2005, 09:44 PM Thread Starter

I give the horses Biotin for their hooves....not sure how much would be ok for a 40 pound dog. Hmmm...

I try to trim her nails every other week. They seem to grow REALLY fast which is why I'm a little confused. If she were lacking something, wouldn't the nails grow a little slower? Her coat is nice and shiny, her skin is in better shape than mine.

Rhonda

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-17-2005, 09:56 PM

I'm not talking about an oral medication for the hooves...it's like a lotion or cream or something you rub into the hooves...I used to get it at Meijer's when I lived in Michigan and used it on my hands...made my nails really healthy and strong! I think it's manufactured by Mane N Tail? If you have a dremmel, I would suggest filing her nails with that. It seems to last a bit longer and you can get closer to the quick without knicking it. In addition, dremmeling the nails makes them nice and rounded so no excitable welts or scratches on your skin
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-17-2005, 10:01 PM Thread Starter

I stopped using the stuff on the outside of the hooves because, well, it seemed to be pretty useless on the horses. The oral biotin worked the best. I would definitely ask the vet before I gave her anything orally. I wouldn't want anything happening to my baby.

Rhonda

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-17-2005, 10:04 PM

Good idea! Always check with the vet first
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-17-2005, 10:06 PM Thread Starter

I'll definitely try the dremmeling thing. Thanks for the suggestion.

Rhonda

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-17-2005, 10:23 PM

Your welcome! We've done it with Kali and Orion for years...it will probably take a little bit for Riley to get used to though as it feels weird. Good thing is...the sound of the dremmel shouldn't scare her.
We also offer dremmel filing at the clinic as well...costs a bit more than regular nail trims though
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-19-2005, 10:44 AM

I'll second the dremel suggestion. It's such a great tool, I'm not sure where I'd be without it. I bought the actual Dremel brand, and I believe it was only $30. Of course, I went for the low-end model.

Quote:
I give the horses Biotin for their hooves....not sure how much would be ok for a 40 pound dog. Hmmm...
I'm not a vet, and I'm sure there are those more knowledgable then I, but a Dobe friend is using biotin therapy to help with her *****'s coat, so I'm not sure if it would help with a dog's nails at all.
Also, I believe zinc strengthens the pads, not so sure if it helps nails, but it might. Ya never know!

Tags
bull terrier, bull terriers