Bruised Paw..? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-11-2009, 10:56 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Question Bruised Paw..?

Hey everyone,

Marley, our Golden/Poodle mix, has been licking the bottom of his right front paw, limps around, and wimpers a bit if you put pressure on the padding. I looked up everything that could be wrong (broken nail, lodged thorn, cut, fugus) and don't see anything wrong with it.

He does have some hair and I might try to trim it tomorrow to get a better look. I can put pressure on the top of his paw, all along his leg, I can move his pads around a bit to look at the 'in between,' but if I push on top of the pad he pulls it away and whimpers.

I am thinking that it's a bruised paw, so I'm wondering if you think that might be correct, and what I can do to help this out. I will call my vet tomorrow and leave a message for Monday, but I would like to know some tips to help him out for tomorrow.

I've read mostly that you're not suppose to give them human pain meds, even though I found dosage for asprin. I might just have to try to keep him comfortable at his bed area...

Any tips or experiences you guys have had would be really helpful for me.. and our morale. Thank you very much!
-------------------
Also he was in wet conditions all weekend out in an Aunt/Uncle's arce of land. I read that that can cause problems with fungus or bacteria, but he was back Wednesday and he just started limping this morning. Thanks again.

Last edited by RadAdam; 07-11-2009 at 11:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-11-2009, 11:07 PM
User Is No Longer Welcome

Was he running around on pavement, or anything new, recently? Sometimes their feet get sore from being on a different surface for a long period of time.

Or maybe he has a hot spot on his paw? Does he lick it often, or is it just in this instance?

My dog has had both of these happen to him. He acted the same exact way your dog is when he had played at my friends house on pavement. His feet looked dark pink between his toes and his feet were super sensitive. He'd cry if I touched his feet at all. I took him to the vet and they told me to hold a wet wash cloth on his feet for like 30 mins for a few days. Within a few days he was back to normal.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-11-2009, 11:13 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

I am not sure....but I found this ointment that you can put on their paws if they have some kind of an injury. http://www.petwellbeing.com/dog-paw-injury-p35.cfm

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-11-2009, 11:23 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Thanks for the quick responses.

He wasn't on pavement all weekend, but their arce size backyard is pretty rough. Some of it isn't maintained, and they have misc crap in some areas. I'm sure he went running around in some rougher vegitation areas than he's used to with their retriever. We normally go on walks on the sidewalk and he does fine. And no he never licks his paws until now when it's hurting him.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-11-2009, 11:24 PM
User Is No Longer Welcome

Ah, after reading your edit, he may have gotten something stuck in the fur on his paw (since you said he has hairy paws), and maybe he stepped onto it and pressed it into his foot. Something similar just happened to my friends poodle, he sat on a foxtail and it went into his bottom, and it became an abcess and he had to have surgery to remove it.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-11-2009, 11:35 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

Yeah those fox tails are so dangerous. I have them all over in my yard! Welcome to paw-talk by the way.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-12-2009, 09:09 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Thanks for the welcome. I will definitely be using these forums from now on. You guys responded so quickly!

Well... my girlfriend/landlady got home today & Mar was all excited and caused his paw to start bleeding out of the top a little and he wasn't feelin' that great. It was very swollen on top so she insisted we take him to the ER vet ($$$) and have it looked at.

Turned out it was in fact a foxtail from his weekend away that was causing the problem. He's sleeping now after minor surgery.

Thank you all for your help. One last question, just what you would do: would you have taken him at that stage to an ER, or waited 'till tomorrow morning? We're pretty cautious and will pay no problem to be sure, but I was just curious if something like this happened how serious would you all take it?

Thanks again.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-12-2009, 09:35 PM
Betta Bomb

Anything that seems serious should be taken serioulsy. The only thing it hurts to be pro-active rather than re-active is the wallet. But these are our children, Im glad your pooch is ok.. umm, whats a foxtail? Are they those velcro type burrs that stick to everything??

*** Also, WELCOME you'll LOVE it here..anD SLowLy LosEE YouR MiIiNNd!!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 08:12 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

A foxtail is just the seed that grass creates when it gets long. Those tails that get on the end of grass when it gets overgrown. You've seen it before; it's very common.

Tags
bruised, dog, pain, paw