Brushing fur - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-21-2005, 04:49 PM Thread Starter

Brushing fur

My puppy will need to be brushed every day or he will get knots.
I have never had to do this before so any tips on how to make him like it and how is the best way to go about it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-21-2005, 05:47 PM

Start out with the brushing as soon as you get the puppy and start slow.

Hold it in your lap, pet it, love it, and talk to it in a soothing voice all the while you brush it. Start with small incriments (as much as the puppy will tolerate) like 2 minutes. Do that several times a day and as you go build up the time frame.

I always recommend playing with the feet and checking the teeth a lot during grooming and playtime with puppies. This helps get them used to being touched in those spots. The mouth and feet are generally the "no way" areas for a lot of dogs.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-21-2005, 05:50 PM Thread Starter

My cats hate being touched on thier feet.
He is supposed to be quite timid coz of his trauma of not being wanted by the first owner.
I am gonna be very gentle with him.
I want him to think that brushing is fun and time we can have together.
Do you think that only I should do it or my gf as well?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-21-2005, 10:19 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I would say both of you, so that if you're not there and it needs done, it won't be a stressful situation.

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.