Buddy is acting funny and ITCHING A LOT!! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-30-2003, 08:05 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Question Buddy is acting funny and ITCHING A LOT!!

Hello everyone! My dog Buddy has been acting strange this week. He has been itching and licking himself a lot more then he usually does. When he itches two particular spots on his back it is like he snaps his whole head back and bites and bites like he is getting eaten by something.

Also, when I lived with my parents one of our dogs had an anal gland problem (very distinct smell). I think I am smelling that same smell with Buddy. Could these two things be related?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!!

P.S. As far as potty training goes he's about 85%!

Romans 10:9
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-30-2003, 08:20 AM
PT's Troll Hunter

I'm not too sure about the itchy spots on his back, have you checked for fleas? (Although that would probably be all over, not just on his back.)

Anal Gland problems, I think one of the indicators is that the dog will scoot his bottom across the floor... I'm not sure if the two can be related, but maybe someone else knows from experience??

And good for you! about the almost totally potty trained! Isn't it great to finally get that done with!? haha

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-30-2003, 08:22 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

It's not fleas. If it is they are invisible. He doesn't scoot at all but I definately remember the smell from my other dog. It's like... You can't smell it if I pick him up and smell all over.. but then you'll just get a wiff and it isn't pleasent!

Thanks for the reply!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-30-2003, 08:42 AM
I Think I Need a Bigger Bear

Hot spots? Mange? (can be very smelly too!) Is he losing any fur where he's itching? Do the spots look red & irritated?

~ Jodi ~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-30-2003, 08:51 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

I don't know what either of those are.. He's not losing any fur and not sure if the spots are red and irritated. Where he bites is under his hair so I will check at lunch.

Thanks!

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-30-2003, 09:11 AM
I Think I Need a Bigger Bear

Maybe a staph infection? (They have a distinctive smell also)

Check and see if there are any sores or if it's irritated.

Do you have a vet that you bring Buddy to? You may need some meds to clear it up if it's an infection, etc.

~ Jodi ~

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-30-2003, 09:12 AM
Princess in Waiting

Cool

Have you had his anal glands expressed recently? Ideally they empty when a dog has a bowel movement but this doesn't always happen. Sometimes you have to take them to the vet and have them "expressed". They can become impacted and be very uncomfortable for your dog; or they can rupture then you have real problems! (One of my girls has problems with hers so I am know more than anal glands than I want to!)

Just because you haven't seen a flea doesn't mean you don't have them. I don't mean to sound snippy but don't know another way to say that and it's just a fact of life. Fleas spend approximately 98%of their time off of the dog. Have you used a flea comb on him?

It sounds like he's coming awfully close to getting hot spots on those two places he's chewing. Something has made them itch - fleas, allergy to food or something he's coming in contact with - could be any of a dozen things. This is a favorite hang out for fleas for some reason. The best thing to do for that is also to take him and let the vet check him over; he may want to give him an injection to stop the itching cycle then put him on some pills for a longer course of treatment. We can't rule out a staph infection either.

I cannot get rid of fleas, although I rarely see them. They are usually worse on the white dog (any white dog) but luckily she isn't as bothered by them as the other dogs. Those two chew and scratch constantly and drive me crazy!! I've had them on antibiotics for almost a week now and am taking them to the vet tomorrow to have them checked.

I know it gets expensive to take them in, but sometimes it is cheaper to stop the problem before it takes over the dog than it is to wait until he is miserable and just has to go.

Keep us posted on how it goes. I know you are both going crazy over this!

CRITTERCALL

"If they care, it doesn't matter; if it matters, they don't care."
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-30-2003, 09:32 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Yes, I hate how expensive vet's are!! We just took our cat last week ($111.84) and we don't want another $100 bill but if it's necessary I will definately take him in.

Thanks

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-30-2003, 12:08 PM
Princess in Waiting

I know what you mean. We're getting ready to board the dogs and cats at the vet clinic (and need to buy food) and board the birds somewhere else. No wonder vacations are expensive!!

I hope you are able to find Buddy some relief soon.

CRITTERCALL

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-21-2003, 11:11 AM
User Is No Longer Welcome

My dog is doing the same thing.I think he gets his kicks by biting and licking his butt.He goes at it like crazy.If he's not licking his butt he is biting a spot on his leg.I look and there is nothing there.I really think he is bored.I yell at him and tell him to stop.He knows exactly what I'm talking about.I think its just a faze.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-21-2003, 12:12 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Woops.. Sorry not to post back and tell everyone how he's doing. We took him to the vet and the squeezed his glands. The lady said it was a good thing we brought him in because they were FULL!! The vet looked him over and didn't seem to find anything wrong. He did however scrape some black junk out of his one ear and tested it for yeast or something. The test was positive so he gave us two medicines for his ears and it cleared up. He's not itching or licking nearly as much..

Thanks!!

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-21-2003, 03:23 PM
Princess in Waiting

Good for you! I'm glad you found out what the problem was! You may want to make a note on your calendar to take him back every month or so (dr may have told you) and have them checked. Much cheaper than possibly having them removed and from what I understand removing them can sometimes can lead to more problems - such as no control over the sphincter muscle so they just poop all the time and don't realize that they have to.

Let us know in a coupld or months how things are going.

CRITTERCALL

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-21-2003, 08:14 PM

Put on a rubber glove and go inside yourself.It's not hard and after awhile you get used to it.I have done it.Got the instructions right off the internet.The vet charged me over $60.00 to do the same thing.:hershey:
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-22-2003, 08:55 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

If it ended up being a monthly vet fee of over $60 I may learn how but we had him for over 4 months until that happened so if it's every four months I can live with the $60. I'd rather take it to a pro then risk hurting him. I read somewhere (I think it was this forum somewhere) that a person squeezed their dog's glands monthly and ended up doing more harm then good...

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-22-2003, 10:28 AM

This is not something you would do monthly.My dog would not let me hurt him.He would bite me first!

Tags
potty train, potty trained, potty training, vet clinic