Building a GSD doghouse - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 05:05 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Building a GSD doghouse

Hi, ok so i have this German Shepherd puppy who is 4 1/2 months old and weighs about 45+ pounds. Well, when we got him at 8 weeks we gave him our shelties dog house ( medium sized), well just up until a few weeks ago he fit just fine but now i noticed that he has to duck and almost crawl into the dog house and he is just curled up into a little ball!

So i want to make him his own dog house (the ones in the store are not nice enough for my doggy and the ones that are are not nice to my money lol). So i have this elaborate dog house all drawn out and planned and everything, the only thing is that i have no idea how big to build it!! THe vet said that he is well on his way to be 100+ pounds!!

So, i was wondering maybe that if anybody had experience with building a dog house or that they have a roughly 100 pound GSD and could tell me how big i should make the dog house. If i can i will post a picture of my drawing of the dog house i want for him.

If anybody has any advise for building a dog house i would gladly take it or any tips or anything! Thanks

My Second Family:

Snickers---2 year old Sheltie pup
Shadow---1 yr German Shepherd pup
Carmen--- cream longhaired boy kitty
Chloe---black shorthaired girl kitty
Tyge---my baby 1 yr dark tiger kitty
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ebony---(girl) 2 yr old silver fox bunny
Baby ---(Boy) gray Bunny 1 yr old!!
Tweety---6 month loud mouth parakeet
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

tubby---Winter white dwarf hamster
? ? ?--- 4 goldfish

Two Baby degu's

RIP-- Prettyboy 3 yeat old parakeet

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-04-2008, 12:53 AM
Adolescent Pup

We build custom houses for ours too. I can post pics later if you like.

For large dogs, who are over a 100lbs the houses are simple box houses, they measure about 3 1/2 x 3 1/2 square on outside and are smaller on the inside of course. We use insulating board because it gets cold here. The opening is around just over a foot wide and about 1 and a quarter foot tall. The height of the house is about 3ft tall, the base is 4x4s so that the floor is raised off the ground. I want them to be able to turn around inside comfortably.

For the medium dogs, 30-55lbs the base is 4ft long x 2.5ft wide part of which includes a 1.25ft x 2.5ft porch. There is an overhanging roof, which hinges open and it is slanted towards the back. The highest point is about 2.5ft. This also has insulating board because of the weather and there is metal on corners and opening so they don't chew it up. These can accommodate a larger dog depending on build, but past a certain size they would be cramped.

I've been thinking of something in between for Cane Corso since they generally max around 110lbs, something not too big and not too small.

If you're in cold weather and you're dog will be outside, you don't want the house to be too big that they can't keep body heat nor an opening too big that it lets a lot of heat out.

You can post up your plans. You can also search online for some dog house plans to get ideas of sizes for certain size dogs too.

Check Them Out

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-04-2008, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

thanks!

My Second Family:

Snickers---2 year old Sheltie pup
Shadow---1 yr German Shepherd pup
Carmen--- cream longhaired boy kitty
Chloe---black shorthaired girl kitty
Tyge---my baby 1 yr dark tiger kitty

Ebony---(girl) 2 yr old silver fox bunny
Baby ---(Boy) gray Bunny 1 yr old!!
Tweety---6 month loud mouth parakeet

tubby---Winter white dwarf hamster
? ? ?--- 4 goldfish

Two Baby degu's

RIP-- Prettyboy 3 yeat old parakeet

Tags
dog house, gsd