Can anyone help me? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-03-2009, 09:24 AM Thread Starter
Dinky Gerbilelbow

Angry Can anyone help me?

OK so i don't know how much more i can take! I have an 18 month old black lab and she is driving me nuts!! She is fed 3 times a day and still begs for food and drools everywhere when we are eating........not only that but she raids any bin she can get hold of,when we are out walking she will eat anything she sees lying on the floor including horse manure (yuk!!) she raids the cat litter tray when Rocky has been to the toilet and if for any reason we have to go out and leave her here we come back to find she has opened the kitchen door and dragged the bin all through the house and chewed everything up she can get her paws on...........i cant take anymore she is driving me to despair! She has been wormed etc so its not that,she is fed 3 times a day like i said,she gets 2 hours of exercise on the field a day so its not boredom and she has more toys than you can shake a stick at so why does she feel the need to keep tearing stuff up? She has eaten half of my sons xmas presents including a fishing reel and the box etc?!!!!!
Any suggestions?

*Carla*
I
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
my animals!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-03-2009, 09:30 AM
Hello Earthling

Crate her when your gone?

Sorry I don't have any suggestions, but hopefully you can get through her problems

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-03-2009, 09:36 AM Thread Starter
Dinky Gerbilelbow

She wont be crated she will just whine and howl.......we cant even take her out in the car if we have to pop off for 2 mins and leave her in the car she goes ballistic. She is very needy and craves 24 hr attention! She is basically tained and i can get her to sit,wait,give,roll over,touch,leave etc but as soon as i leave the house she goes wild and rips everything to shreds and raids the bin and even opens doors to get into rooms to cause havoc!

*Carla*
I
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
my animals!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-03-2009, 02:46 PM
Leo
Driving Diva

1. Talk to your vet about the issues you are having with her, he/she may have some suggestions for you. Tell them what diet you are feeding your dog to make sure she isn't missing any nutrients (sometimes dog will eat feces if they are missing certain nutrients).

2. Work on teaching your dog NILIF (nothing in life is free) or Top Dog training.
The excessive eating and always seeming she is hungry is a classic Lab trait, they have endless stomachs and will eat & eat & eat if you let them. Even if they aren't actually hungry they "think" they are. DO NOT GIVE IN TO THIS BEHAVIOR! In fact I would start teaching her that if she wants to eat she has to do something for you
EX: you must sit on your spot while I am preparing your food
don't even think of nudging the food bowl/my hand while I put it down
sit there and do not even think of eating it until I tell you 'ok you can eat'
nothing in life is free buddy and you will sit still for ME before I feed YOU.
Teach her that she can only eat if you (other family members) tell her she can.
I recommend Bitter apple spraying the trash cans, one lick of that stuff and she won't go back. If you see her counter surfing tell her 'OFF' or 'Leave it'.

3. Crate train IMO this is a MUST for owning a dog. All new members of the pack must be crated until they EARN the trust to get free run of my house (in my house it's age 3). Free run of a house is dangerous for a dog as you have learned with your sons things being destroyed, be thankful your dog wasn't hurt.
-How to crate train and older dog:
Start out by crating her for short periods of time while you are home
DO NOT let her out if she whines/cries because that teaches her that if she whines/cries long enough she will get out.
Tell her to be quiet and as soon as she is quiet let her out and give a reward (a piece of dog food)
Increase the time longer and longer while you are home (gradually over a month)
Eventually you should be able to leave her in the crate at home alone.
Feeding her only if she is in her crate.
I know this seems like a huge commitment, but the end result is well worth it.

I know you can do it and I know that she is more than capable of becoming the dog you want her to be. Training has more to do with training the human how to properly respond to their dogs behaviors by remaining in control of the situation than it does training the actual dog. Dogs need consistency (from all members of the household) and they'll do whatever you want them to.

It sounds like she has something she loves (FOOD) that you can train her with, you are fortunate to know her "love" use this in her crate training and also with her manners and you will once again have a dog that you will love to be around.

-Work on becoming the top dog in the house/nothing in life is free
-Work on crate training her
-Be consistent

Best Wishes !

~Ignorance can be cured with education~

Mom to:
A little girl (6) and a little boy (4), and 2 dogs
Leo and
Gunner

Proud Coastie Sister!!
My brother is in Virginia at FT school !!

RIP Ed
October 2000-November 2007
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-03-2009, 03:12 PM Thread Starter
Dinky Gerbilelbow

Thankyou Leo for your response! I have had Maggie since she was 6 months old and i have been working with her ever since (she is now 18 months) when i feed her she does sit and wait for me to dish her food up and she doesnt even sniff the bowl until i say "good girl you can have it" so that's no problem.......i can get her to leave food etc whilst i am in the house that too is no problem,it's when my back is turned she sneaks into the cat's food bowl for which she gets told No and to Leave it! She will also sneak to the litter tray after the cat has used it only if my back is turned though! When we are out she is well behaved as in coming on recall UNLESS somebody has put their bin bags out for collection and then she is sniffing all round them trying to get in them and if she sees anything remotely edible lying on the pavement she will eat it and she goes for piles of horse manure etc. She is on recommended vet diet (purely because i know Labs are prone to getting overweight purely because of their constant want for food!)so it cant be lack of nutrients but i will make an appointment and get him to review it!
It's just when we leave the house she goes for anything she can get her paws on,bin,boxes,toilet tissues,toys,etc the list is endless! She basically will chew anything left in her path and so i tried shutting all the doors and just giving her the stairs,landing and downstairs hallway and she taught herself how to open the doors so it looks like i may well have to start crating her,that is something i didnt want to have to resort to it just because its my own personal preference not to,i prefer my dogs to be fully integrated as part of the family but i have never experienced a dog like Maggie before!!!

*Carla*
I
my animals!
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-03-2009, 11:12 PM
Newborn Pup

All dogs will whine in a crate sometimes but it's much safer to leave them in a safe place and have them whine then to not to. My mother-in-law's dog would do this for her so we vidoe tapaed him while she was gone and 3-5 minutes after she left the dog laid and slept all day until she put the key in the lock and would whine again but when she was gone he was fine this was the only way to prove to her he was fine there by himself and couldn't cause a mess or endanger himself!
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-04-2009, 12:56 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

crate training isn't that bad, normally the dogs end up going to their crate to sleep and relax even when its open, the key is having the right size and not treating it like a punishment... I'd look up some info on the net if i were you about it.

It's natural for dogs to get into everything some are easier than others with changing that...

[/CENTER]

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-04-2009, 01:14 AM
Dinky Corsetkisser

my dogs are old (2 of them) and they still will get in the kitty box if they think they can get away with it lol, thats a hard one to get them to stop lol...and if when we leave, we forget to pick up the trash can (we put it up on the counter when we leave) Puppers will get in it (hes the only non crated dog lol)...dogs like to test their limits don't they lol...I wish I could help...but I am definatly not in a place to give any lol...when running free the puppies will wreck havic in a mere few minutes lol...we are working on them, but its so hard when they gang up on you lol

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-04-2009, 04:43 AM
Salamander Burgermuffin

I know alot of people don't like the idea of putting there dogs in a crate, but it really is the best thing for you dog when your not home. Our dogs still get crated when ever we leave the house, even if its just a quick trip to the store. Tanner likes his crate, And he still goes in there to take naps sometimes when were home. its his bed, his space, the only place in the house that is only his and no one bothers him (except the cat of course who knows nothing of personal property ) When we took Tanner to obedience classes first thing the lady asked is if everyone has a crate for there dog and if they use it. Especially if your dog is getting into the trash and eating things while your not home.. it only takes one time for him to find a bit of chocolate or something more dangerous in the trash while your out for you to come home to a very sick dog.

My Furry Family
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-05-2009, 09:04 AM
Fashion Animal Freak :)

I'm really sorry hun that your going through this
But i do NOT want to start an arguement or a debate because i am not that type of person but i think crate training or any dog in a crate is NOT nice to be honest.. if the person is at work all day that cant be fair to keep a dog locked in a tiny space for 5-9 hrs.. thats wrong??

Rip Novo, Mummy Loves You x
"To close your eyes will not ease another's pain."
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-06-2009, 04:49 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

With my dog Dina I used to leave her in "her" room (which is a bathroom that we use for her with her bed and toys, food and water etc.) whenever we left the house and she was fine with it, now if she wants peace and quiet she goes into the bathroom herself and goes there every night to sleep even though now when we leave the house we let her go wherever she wants and she doesn´t touch anything. Just an idea, I didn´t like crates either but i did the same just that in a room and Dina is fine with it really. Anyway lots of luck! xxx

Veronica
0.1.0 Budgie- "Lovy"
1.0.0 Siamese Fighting Fish "Jet"
0.2.0 Dogs "Dina & Curra"
0.2.2 Leopard Geckos "Congo, Egypt, Zimbawe & Ghana"

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-06-2009, 06:11 AM Thread Starter
Dinky Gerbilelbow

I have adopted the bathroom thing as a way forward instead of having to crate her because i really dont like that idea and at least shutting her in the bathroom she can still get up and walk about etc she just cant cause havoc whilst she does it!!!

*Carla*
I
my animals!
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-06-2009, 02:24 PM
Newborn Pup

Have you thought about turning your door handles up the other way so that need to be lifted up rather than pulled down to open the doors?

What about a stuffed kong toy?

I have an 8 year old cavalier king charles spaniel that we have had for a year and a half now, when we got him as a rescue he had previously been a breeders stud and crated to the extent that he could not stand straight and was twisted. He has straightened out a lot in the time that we have had him. I never had a playpen for my kids, i certainly would not crate my dogs.

We also had a very destructive rescue many years ago, we got another dog to keep him company when we were out and he instantly stopped destroying things.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-06-2009, 03:07 PM Thread Starter
Dinky Gerbilelbow

I have another dog to keep her company but she still does it and when we have locked her in the bathroom and left him out there is no destruction when we come home so i know its def her doing it!
She has 2 of those kong toys and they are always filled with treats but she still feels the need to destroy my house! She has a whole heap of toys but they are untouched!!!

*Carla*
I
my animals!
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-06-2009, 09:01 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

I have heard of something dogs can have that makes them always feel hungry. I cannot remember what the woman told me it was called. Her dog had this condition and she was very overweight and the woman was working on it. She said that the dog even ate wood because she was so hungry - and she was definitely fed enough dog food. Ask your vet about this. Maybe you can supplement veggies to help fill her up a bit.
As for the kitty box - dogs will always do that. There are things to add to food to make the poo yucky tasting. I keep the box where the dogs cannot reach it. That is really the only way I found to keep them from it.
I used to feel that crate training was awful. I have completely changed my mind now. Frank LOVES his crate. If it gets late Frank starts looking and waiting for me to tell him it's bed time. Belle doesn't love it like Frank but she willing goes in. In the morning I don't even need to tell them to go in - they just know when it's time and they are in their crates waiting for me. And I never have to worry about them getting hurt while I am not there.

There was an episode of it's me or the dog that had a dog that would open cabinets to take the peanut butter jar out! She was able to get that dog to behave. You should check out some of the shows.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny