Can anyone recommend books about proper care and training of puppies? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-18-2005, 03:59 PM Thread Starter
Tongue Tied..Literally!

Red face Can anyone recommend books about proper care and training of puppies?

Dave and I are seriously thinking of adopting a puppy towards the end of the year. I want to be as prepared as possible so I am looking to purchase a book(s) on proper care and training of puppies.

If anyone has any basic advice to share, I would very much appreciate it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-18-2005, 06:34 PM
Misses Her Smilie Titles

That must be sooo exciting! I don't know of any books, but I wanted to congratulate you anyways!
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-18-2005, 07:39 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

I never read it cover to cover, but I really liked the "puppy training for dummies" book (or was it puppy basics?) Either way it's one of the dummies series. I found it had alot of the good early on basics

Owned by 26 chins, 7 cats, 2 dogs, and 7 aquariums

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Come drop by!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-18-2005, 08:32 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

I don't have any books to recommend but I would like to say that obedience classes are great! Mirra and I are having so much fun that I might enroll her in adult dog classes! I would take Scarlette too but I KNOW she couldn't make it out of the driveway without puking.

Any particular breed you're interested in or are you planning on going to a shelter?

I'm so excited for you!

Rhonda

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-18-2005, 09:12 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

I agree with Scarlette! Reading is great, but putting it into practice can be completely different!!! i am soooo excited for you Denise!! Will you be getting an Am Staffy?

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-18-2005, 09:39 PM

Oh how exciting. The one book I know of isn't really basic training, it deals a lot with the psychological behavior and training of dogs. Its a really great book and does a lot with clicker training. Its called "Don't Shoot the Dog" by Karen Pryor.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-18-2005, 10:44 PM Thread Starter
Tongue Tied..Literally!

Thanks everyone! I love to read and reading about puppies would be very enjoyable.

We are definitely taking our time researching breeders so it isn't like we are in a rush. Another obstacle we have to face is the owners of the apartment we are currently living in. Our lease is up in October so we are going to wait until September to talk to the owners about it.

We are thinking of getting an Am Staff or an American Bulldog. Definitely a Bully breed!
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-19-2005, 02:26 AM
Newborn Pup

Definately check out "How to Teach a New Dog Old Tricks" by Ian Dunbar. Good luck.

Vanessa
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-19-2005, 04:15 AM
Wacky Chimpnose

oh wow, denise! i'm so excited for you! there are probably books out there specifically for bully breeds. i'd look for those.

also - never ever paper/puppy pad train the pup if you are planning on wanting it to go outside (which i'm sure you are with a bully breed). it takes forever to break the "going inside" habit. just crate train and take them outside only.

i can't wait! oh - and i agree about obidience classes. they are great.

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-19-2005, 11:28 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

I never paper trained my dogs either. Straight outside for them.

With the car sickness I just kept taking her in the car and she got used to it. Also it is good maybe for he puppy to have a basket in the car to feel safe. And maybe sit in the back with them and talk to them gently, give them treats and take them somewhere exciting so they see it is a fun place to be. Also an open window helps.

To dominate them I gave them a bone but pretented to eat it 1st and then a while after they had chewed it took it off them and then said good boy/girl and gave it straight back. After a few times they leave it alone when I approach them and say MY BONE.

My handsome Prince

Swirly, Squashy, Squishy, Spot, Star, Slash and Rocky

Indy and Myfanwy

Tilly, Emil, Sonny and Smudge
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-19-2005, 11:31 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Check out amazon they have tons of puppy books

My handsome Prince

Swirly, Squashy, Squishy, Spot, Star, Slash and Rocky

Indy and Myfanwy

Tilly, Emil, Sonny and Smudge
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-20-2005, 06:00 AM
Suffers From Southern Belle Syndrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by formula86
also - never ever paper/puppy pad train the pup if you are planning on wanting it to go outside (which i'm sure you are with a bully breed). it takes forever to break the "going inside" habit. just crate train and take them outside only.
Well, I would agree with this most of the time, but for some special circumstances I think it's good to combine the two.

For example, I would have NEVER gotten Seamus potty-trained if I didn't combine the two. By the time we got outside (when we lived in the apartment) after I noticed he was about to have an accident, he didn't know to connect pottying and the outside. He had already dribbled pee in the house, down the stairs and sidewalk before we reached the grass.

So, paper-training isn't ALWAYS bad, but I say reserve it for EXTREMELY special cases. Taking the dog outside immediately is great, but it's very difficult if you live in an apartment and the yard is not immediately available to you.

As for books, The Puppy Training from the Dummies series is one I liked reading. But also, a good search on the web will turn up many sites that give tidbits of information which are useful.

Can't wait to hear more about your search for a puppy!

― Rowan

I've been frosted!

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-20-2005, 01:54 PM
Part of the Pack

I think I had dog training for dummies. I think it had a lot of good points in there, I believe it even has a section for picking out a puppy at a breeders. What to look for and what to avoid.

Tags
bully breeds, clicker training, dog training