Canine Car Sickness - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

View Poll Results: Does your dog(s) get car sick?
Yes 7 20.59%
Sometimes 8 23.53%
No, but s/he hates car rides 2 5.88%
No 17 50.00%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-20-2004, 05:52 PM Thread Starter
Formerly Known as Roz

Question Canine Car Sickness

How many of you have dogs that get carsick? So far, I haven't had a dog that gets carsick. I started Levi and Myrl out early on in hopes of avoiding car related issues with them later. Now they both LOVE car rides. Myrl has to hog the ENTIRE back seat (he lounges regally across the whole back seat) and Levi insists on sitting in my lap. AJ is antsy in cars but he likes going with us places (too much, actually )

I realized I've been quite lucky with my canine pals, and wondered how many of you have dogs with sensitive tummies and how common it is.

Thanks for responding!

-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"They that can give up essential liberty for a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-20-2004, 05:56 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

My dog Biscuit doesn't but my last dog used to all the time!! It was awful...he could only hold out for 10 minutes...lucky my vet lives close by!

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-20-2004, 06:08 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

I put sometimes, because not all of ours do, and the 2 that do, don't always get sick it depends how close they get in the car after eating.... Ewwww........

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MCBA Member

Submit your info today

I Sell Chinchilla Supplies!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-20-2004, 06:09 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Rebel will every time and Claire has never. I hope she doesn't start. Weird thing is Rebel used to never get car sick and now he does. lol Poor guy!

*Brandy*

|
|
|

post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-20-2004, 06:14 PM Thread Starter
Formerly Known as Roz

Brandy,

That IS weird. I wonder why he started? BTW, I like your avatar! lol

-

"They that can give up essential liberty for a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-20-2004, 06:51 PM
Playful Pup

Nicki doesn't get car sick, but she's never in the car. She's absolutely terrified of the car! I only take her soemwhere when neccessary, and even then its only if we'll be there for at least a day. Its so traumatic for her. I feel like a bad person when I need ot put her in the car. We walk to the vet.

post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-20-2004, 09:02 PM
Part of the Pack

Bowser doesn't get car sick, but he hates car rides. He gets really nervous, starts to pant heavy and his heart starts to race when he knows he is getting into the car. He just hates it. Angus on the other hand, just loves them

'Berry 4ever in my
RIP 5/27/91-4/4/05
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-21-2004, 12:04 AM

both my dogs get massively cars sick. They have since they were 12 weeks old. I have tried short trips, long trips, straight line trips, fun trips, trips without eating, trips with eating, trips a little bit cooler, trips a little bit warmer. I have tried dramamine, rescue remedy, a chamomile and lavender stress releaving spray and not a single thing has worked. I line the truck with a thick blanket and I bring a second one with me for the ride home. If they don't actually puke or poop then they will drool and look so awful it breaks my heart. So nope they stay at home the poor things, I take them to the vet once a year (of course unless I had an emergency) and anything extra that needs to be done that is none emergency I call in a mobile vet. I only use them for basic things like heartworming tests because it is off schedule from the regular vet vaccination schedule.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-21-2004, 12:48 AM Thread Starter
Formerly Known as Roz

Dena,

Wow, that's horrible! Your poor babies! I'm so sorry that car rides are such a problem for them. I feel so blessed that mine can handle car rides so well, especially since I know what it's like to get car sick. I can completely empathize with your babies. I live in the mountains and I can't handle these mountain roads. It has become a real problem. I pass on a lot of special events because they're too far away and mean that I have to go down some really nasty curvy turny roads. I'm sure I've driven some people absolutely mad when I have gone places and they've had to pull over, but they've been understanding anyway.

Your babes are lucky to have you, you who has tried so much to fix the problem and has, in the end, done what's best for them...tried to find alternatives to taking them in the car.

Many of the canines shown off here (with fatherly/motherly pride, right? ) are so blessed to have Paw Talk members as their mums and dads. All that I have been reading on the forums in the last day shows that everyone here goes out of their way to do their best for their pets, and do what's best for their pets.

-

post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-21-2004, 11:04 AM
I Just Need One!

Mickey's first few car rides were tough on him (and us). He would sometimes barf and would squirm around a lot. But now he does great. He loves to stick his face out the window (someone is always holding him, of course) and get all that wind in his face and he has even gotten the hang of balacing himself on the car seat. He loves car rides.

Liana, Mickey, Sky & Rocket

post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-21-2004, 11:10 AM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

I got my red Doberman when she was 9 weeks old and she projectile vomited twice during the ride home. I thought maybe she was just really upset being separated from her littermates and being with a stranger. I kept trying to take her for rides and now it's to the point where she will barf just going out of the drive way. I did the same thing as Dena....tried riding with and without food, short trips, long trips, it doesn't matter. I have always wanted to have my dog go places with me. I feel bad leaving her home but if she's miserable in the truck then she's better off staying home.

My new puppy seems to really enjoy riding in the truck. No puking yet but she sure does love to chew on anything she can while she's in the truck.

Rhonda

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-21-2004, 11:44 AM
Paw-Talk Therapist

I don't have a dog but I voted for my mom's dog. She does get carsick sometimes but not always.

Rats have rights...& mice too!
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-22-2004, 12:49 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

Jack and Max both LOVE to go anywhere in the car. Sometimes when I come home and I'm unloading groceries they come outside to greet me and Max hops right in the car expecting a ride

Jack loves to sit in the front seat with his right arm resting on the armrest - like a person! It's hillarious Once I had both Jack and Max with me and they were shoving each other trying to be the one who rode "shotgun" - They settled it by both smooshing together in the front seat, Jack did end up next to the window though. I had to pull over and send them both to the back seat Such weenies!

Remy isn't as great in the car. She threw up once on the way to the vet, but I realized that she is so small that while sitting on my lap she couldn't visually orient herself and from then on when I take her in the car with me I make sure she is up high enough to look out the window. It only took her a few short rides to get used to it. She's fine now. Funny though that we drove her home when we bought her in Florida all the way to NJ - a 2 day trip - and she was perfect the entire ride home. She was so tiny though then I don't even think she knew what was going on and was just happy to lay in someone's arms and sleep.

When I get my new car I am going to buy her one of those big tall pillow seats that secure with the seatbelt so that she can sit high enough up to look out the window or lay down comfy in the pillow-seat.

Have you guys seen those things I am talking about? I've seen them in a few catalogs and they look really good for tiny dogs.

Dena and Scarlette - wow - your dogs must have sensitive senses of equilibrium... poor babies

[center]

[
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-22-2004, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
Formerly Known as Roz

Deja,

Have not seen those. Sounds worth looking into

-

post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-22-2004, 05:00 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roz
Brandy,

That IS weird. I wonder why he started? BTW, I like your avatar! lol
I am not sure, I wonder if it could be that he didn't ride for about ummm 5 months or so?

Thanks! hehe

*Brandy*

|
|
|

Tags
regular vet