This CAN'T be happening!!! IT CAN'T!!!! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-27-2004, 12:25 AM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

This CAN'T be happening!!! IT CAN'T!!!!

I am shaking so bad right now and in tears. Verging panic/anxiety attack.

Chelsea has started to limp on her back leg. Like her knee is popping in and out of the socket. She'll limp and hold the paw off the ground...I get her to lay down, rub her leg and ice the knee and she seems like it's better and then for no apparent reason she starts limping again.

My God what is causing this?

First Maximus limped and it turned out to be a serious problem with his spine.

Then Chelsea limped cuz of busted toe and followed that up with the recluse spider bite. Thank God we could fix that!

Then Samson limped and every joint in his body was bad.

And now Chelsea is limping again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm unreasonably scared right now. I gotta be. But this dog has done NOTHING strenuous since Samson was put down. She's been soooooooooooooooooo depressed ever since she realized her puppy wasn't coming back. She just stays right by my side at all times so I KNOW she is running or jumping or doing anything crazy like that. I can't see how she could've hurt herself

I was seeking out a different vet...Kittygurl was assisting with that.... I didn't think I'd need a different vet this soon!!!! Do I take her to the same vet that missed so much with Samson just cuz he's been Chelsea's vet for over a year now? Do I take her to a different one and start from scratch? Do I wait a few days and see if it's just a sprain that will take care of itself? I'm even wondering if I'm just no longer meant to have dogs. God I've always had dogs...always cared for them properly. Yet now...I can't figure it out I can't figure out why these things keep happening

Maybe I should've posted this to vent and rants heck I dunno. Maybe I shouldn't be posting at all. I'm just a nervous wreck.

What would cause a dog to limp...not limp...then limp again?

I've checked her paws etc very carefully. All paws are clean. It really "looks like" her knee is popping in and out of the socket as far as how she limps, how she walks, and how it seems to work itself out and get better...then worse again

- Deb

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-27-2004, 12:28 AM
Just Call Me Oblivious!

Oh no! That's not very good. Hopefully it is something minor and temporary!

As far as vets are concerned, if you can find one you trust this soon, then by all means, start from scratch with the new vet! If not, then at least get her in to see the old vet, but stress your concerns! I'm so sorry that this is happening to you, but since you are such a good doggy mum, I'm certain this isn't about you not being meant to have dogs.

Good luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-27-2004, 12:39 AM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

How old is Chelsea? (I'm sorry, I have a horrible memory)

As far as the vet thing goes, if he missed so much on Samson, then I would go to a different vet. If your doctor missed a ton of health problems you had, would you go back to him/her?

I wish I could give you a hug in person.

Rhonda

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-27-2004, 12:49 AM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Chelsea will be two years old next month. Far too young for these types of problems IMHO.

She's a survivor....she had a horrible abusive starved start to life but she LIVED and bounced back beautifully after she got the medical attention etc and was able to come home with us. She's an amazing dog.

This was her after we got her out of the hospital.... e.g. after she had GAINED 30LBS from the time she was left for dead...

(That's my angel baby Maximus in the background)

The Luv'd each other

Samson loved her dearly too... she treated him as-if he were her own pup...

She's been really depressed since he was put down which is part of why I know she hasn't done anything really major as far as running etc because I've actually had to really "try" to get her to play etc since then... :/

- Deb

post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-27-2004, 12:53 AM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

I was thinking arthritis but she seems too young for that.

I feel so bad for you. I would be anxious too if I had been through as much as you have been through lately.

Rhonda

post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-27-2004, 01:07 AM
Just Call Me Oblivious!

That last picture is the most absolute sweetest, break-your-heart cute!

I really hope that you can figure out what the problem is and solve it!

post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-27-2004, 02:26 AM
Wacky Chimpnose

oh no, hun. listen! : this does NOT mean you are not meant to own dogs. God gives you these dogs because God knows that you will do the very best for them. you give them the best best best lives while others would just get rid of them. so don't be down on yourself! you are a great doggie mommy!!

about chelsea, if it is just her knee popping, i wouldn't worry too much until you see a vet. i would definetely start with someone new. maybe someone that doesn't know her history can give you an even fresher perspective. and you will feel more comfortable with a new vet. if you go to the old one, you will be 2nd guessing everything he/she says.

please do not stress out. maybe it's just out of place a little. maybe she landed on it wrong. maybe it's the weather. just see a vet first.

you are a wonderful dog owner. you have to know that. just take it one step at a time.

post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-27-2004, 08:45 AM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Thanks guys.... I swear I saw her limping and my whole body almost gave out..I just couldn't believe it!

She hasn't limped at all yet today so we're just watching her VERY CAREFULLY. If anything happens I'll truck her down to this other vet I've been considering using and go from there. Hopefully this is just a silly thing that has worked itself out. She's gotta stay strong...she has a new puppy to take care of soon lol. And I have got to find some sanity everything "dog related" is really freaking me out lately

- Deb

post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-27-2004, 09:02 AM
Tongue Tied..Literally!

Deb, you poor thing! I completely understand why you are so upset. I am praying it is just a freak accident and you don't witness her knee popping out of its joint. Deb, you know all of your friends at PT are here to support you.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-27-2004, 10:32 AM
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by PicOlio
I am shaking so bad right now and in tears. Verging panic/anxiety attack.

Chelsea has started to limp on her back leg. Like her knee is popping in and out of the socket. She'll limp and hold the paw off the ground...I get her to lay down, rub her leg and ice the knee and she seems like it's better and then for no apparent reason she starts limping again.

My God what is causing this?

First Maximus limped and it turned out to be a serious problem with his spine.

Then Chelsea limped cuz of busted toe and followed that up with the recluse spider bite. Thank God we could fix that!

Then Samson limped and every joint in his body was bad.

And now Chelsea is limping again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm unreasonably scared right now. I gotta be. But this dog has done NOTHING strenuous since Samson was put down. She's been soooooooooooooooooo depressed ever since she realized her puppy wasn't coming back. She just stays right by my side at all times so I KNOW she is running or jumping or doing anything crazy like that. I can't see how she could've hurt herself

I was seeking out a different vet...Kittygurl was assisting with that.... I didn't think I'd need a different vet this soon!!!! Do I take her to the same vet that missed so much with Samson just cuz he's been Chelsea's vet for over a year now? Do I take her to a different one and start from scratch? Do I wait a few days and see if it's just a sprain that will take care of itself? I'm even wondering if I'm just no longer meant to have dogs. God I've always had dogs...always cared for them properly. Yet now...I can't figure it out I can't figure out why these things keep happening

Maybe I should've posted this to vent and rants heck I dunno. Maybe I shouldn't be posting at all. I'm just a nervous wreck.

What would cause a dog to limp...not limp...then limp again?

I've checked her paws etc very carefully. All paws are clean. It really "looks like" her knee is popping in and out of the socket as far as how she limps, how she walks, and how it seems to work itself out and get better...then worse again
calm down. i know you're scared but you have to remember what you've been through. because of samson you are going to panic, but take a breath and let's get a game plan.

here's one scenario: maybe she is mimicking samson. one of my kittens sprained a leg and three more followed with limping. i panicked! then i realized that kitten number three was limping on the wrong leg. it was totally a sympathy thing and it turned out that only one was hurt out of four. let's hope that your dog is greiving. it does happen and she could have seen the attention samson was getting from the hurt legs.

where do you live? i have excellent california vets if you're out here. what breed is she?

amber
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-27-2004, 12:07 PM
Fluffy Potatokisser

Aww...Deb! I had a Chow Chow that was a retired show dog start doing that one day...I know she hadn't done anything strenuous because she liked to play "rug" over anything else (she was just a low energy girl) One day she just refused to put her back foot down. Thinking something was stuck in her pads or between her toes, I checked her over and found nothing. I was 16 at the time and just took her to the vet after my mom said to wait a couple of days. Well, I took her and Dr. Kelly X-rayed her knee, hip and foot. What he found was a torn meniscus disk in her knee. (common sports injury in humans, one of mine is basically shredded ) He gave me two options...let it heal on it's own with anti-inflamatories or surgery. We opted to allow it to heal because the surgery would only be to trim off the torn part and let it heal anyway. (I didn't have surgery for my own either) Both of us healed just fine and she never had a problem again. (mine aches in cold weather or humid weather)
I would take her to a different vet for new perspective and try not to get upset yet. Many times Kali has limped and we found she had just had a little cut or a burr stuck in her foot. Check your girl's feet really well and just wait to see what the vet said. She could just be doing it for attention since she misses Samson. I've seen that happen before too. Take a deep breath and count to ten. Think positive!

Chin Mom to Lila, Skye, Ty, Rolex, Calypso, Lizzie, Jax, Sam, Sage, Lorenzo, Spitfire, Holly, Dylan, Leia, Punky, Kylie, Skylar, Jetta, Oreo, Emma, Forest, Georgie, Alexis, Picador and all the kits!
Pittie Mom to Kali and Orion
Rattie Mom to Drake and Dumbo
Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Plain ole Mom to Zach, Brandon and Connor!
Come visit us at
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-27-2004, 12:54 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Awww, Deb. I am so sorry. You have had the hardest time lately. Hopefully it will be something minor. I'll be praying for you.

Rats have rights...& mice too!
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-27-2004, 12:54 PM
Miss New Booty

Oh Deb! I don't even know what to say...I'm so sorry this is happening, hon!!! Take a deep breath and relax.

As far as the vet, well you know what I'm going to say. I would call the new vet, as everyone had great points on that. A new, fresh perspective. They usually will get you in pretty fast, too. Let me know what happens and if you need anything at all! Everything is going to be ok, girl! You are in my thoughts and prayers.
Awww those pictures are adorable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RareBreedExotic
where do you live? i have excellent california vets if you're out here.
She lives in Orlando, FL, Amber.

~* Jackie *~

post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-27-2004, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Yes... Central FL for me. California would be a bit of a road trip... However, maybe a road trip is exactly what Chelsea and I need this week

She's done real well today. No limping at all. We're keeping things mellow JIC but so far so good.

- Deb

post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-27-2004, 07:11 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Red face

Deb, I hope Chelsea is ok? Hopefully it will be a minor problem, and she will be well again soon.. Try not to worry too much! I hope you are coping well since the loss of Samson, even though it takes time..

Steph ~ Owned by 4 bunnies and 5 degus..

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble
attribute of man." Charles Darwin