The Challenge - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 09:02 AM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

The Challenge

So I was asked today by the rescue if I could foster a mommy beagle and her 4 puppies.The pups are 5 weeks old,so there will be at least a 3 week commitment.

I know one puppy is alot of work,let alone 4! But I am up for the challenge.

The only thing that stops me is something that happened years ago when I first started fostering (2006).I fostered a mommy dog and her 2 puppies.The pups were 4 weeks old.One morning I woke up to find them BOTH dead (the pups).You can imagine my shock and sadness and to this day I feel guilty,since they were in my care.But the rescue had them looked at and they were just not developed properly.The dog then also had 5 puppies,but 3 died before she came to my care.So it wasn't my fault,but I still feel guilty to this day and the incident haunts me.

Since then I only ever fostered 1 puppy,the rest of my fosters have been adult dogs...usually seniors.So while I am up for the challenge,cause I know it will be one...I am still haunted by that incident years ago...so I may even tell them I can't do it.I did tell them why I am hesitant of it and they understand.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 09:45 AM
Super Moderator

Aw well that's nice of you to even consider fostering the family and I'm sure whatever you decide it will be for the best.

I completely understand why you wouldn't want to foster the pups after what happened to you before. Maybe though, having some healthy puppies around would help you get over that incident?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 09:49 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Aww, I'm so sorry that you had a bad experience with those other pups. But I think that taking this on and being successful would be a great way to start moving past it. I know it's scary but I hope you can muster the strength to go for it! You shouldn't feel guilty that those other pups didn't make it, but you might end up feeling guilty if you don't even try to help these guys out when they need it.

I don't want you to feel pressured to do this if you're not ready, but I do genuinely hope that you will decide (on your own) to take on this challenge!

Maureen

Six new rats
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 10:49 AM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

Thanks guys.

I thought more about it and decided I will do it.Your right,this can help me get past that incident.Even though it was years ago,it still haunts me,but fostering these guys will make me feel better cause I know I will be helping them.I do know that past incident was not my fault,but where they were in my care I still can't help feel guilty and I never got over it.

I just learned they are at the SPCA after being found outdoors.Mom was chained up in the back with the puppies,in the freezing cold! And the puppies are almost 6 weeks apparently.I hate people who can do things like that though.Unfortunatly here in Newfoundland,beagles are not seen as living breathing animals....anyway they have to be moved from the SPCA,so Beagle Paws will take them and I will foster.

Anyway it looks like I am probably getting them tonight,because were supposed to have a snow storm tomorrow.

* Lisa *

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 11:00 AM
Adolescent Pup

I have had 2 oops litters of puppies.. male dog chewed through my fence. D:<
And both times there were 7
I was like 12 the first time and the second time i was a bit older
but i took care of all of them and they all have a great home now.
If you can help these babies, then i think you should.. you know that incident wasnt your fault, and there was nothing you could have done.
if i - at 12 years old- could raise a litter of puppies whose mom wasnt feeding them. i know you can foster those little guys.
I hope that you have a great time, fostering/raising puppies with the mom can be so much fun
I remember watching that movie Joy Ride, with all 7 puppies, and when the scary parts came, theyd jump in my lap.
:]
I dont know if i made you feel any better or not, but i am happy for you. <3
Sometimes all we need to get over an incident is a new experience.. err.. semi new.. whatever.. lol

~Mommy of~

Sasha - gsd/whatever - R.I.P Feb, 23, 2010 <3
Bella -Wolf/Rot/GSD
Rhiley - Rot/Lab
Roxxi - Rot/Lab
Gracey - Jack Russel.
The cats - - Maddie, Cloud, Abby, Spawn, Snuggles, Sassy, Tigger, Marley, Sid Vicious, and Jasmine [3 Healthy Kittens.]
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 11:12 AM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

Thanks.

I decided I will do it.I mean that incident was years ago and I need to let it go.What better way then to foster a mommy and her pups now.I am going to be busy with them for the next few weeks,but it will prepare me for when I eventually get my puppy.I plan on only getting one puppy,so he/she will be a breeze after raising a mom and her 4 pups!

Anyway I am excited.

* Lisa *

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 11:27 AM
Adolescent Pup

I am such a natural now because of my oops litters.
lol
I loved them though, i took them to play in the creek and carried them in my pockets
haha

~Mommy of~

Sasha - gsd/whatever - R.I.P Feb, 23, 2010 <3
Bella -Wolf/Rot/GSD
Rhiley - Rot/Lab
Roxxi - Rot/Lab
Gracey - Jack Russel.
The cats - - Maddie, Cloud, Abby, Spawn, Snuggles, Sassy, Tigger, Marley, Sid Vicious, and Jasmine [3 Healthy Kittens.]
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 11:33 AM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

Awww,thats sweet.
Unfortunatly because it is freezing here,I won't be able to take them many places (if anywhere).

* Lisa *

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 01:09 PM
Part of the Pack

I look forward to seeing pictures of them! Do they have names already or can we help name them maybe?!?

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 02:00 PM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zylca View Post
I look forward to seeing pictures of them! Do they have names already or can we help name them maybe?!?
I am excited too.I am going to have some sleepless nights,but I am really looking forward to them! Since I am getting the mom and the puppies,it may not be too much trouble,because at least they will be together.

Anyway the mom is named Sky I believe and the pups do not have names yet.The time I took in the mom and her two puppies (R.I.P) they wanted me to name them,so I may be in charge of naming these guys too! And I will probably need some help!

Oh and there will be loads of pictures!

* Lisa *

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 03:02 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Think positive, and it should be okay!
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 03:19 PM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

They are coming to me about 8:30pm tonight.

* Lisa *

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 03:27 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaRat View Post

They are coming to me about 8:30pm tonight.
I'm so glad you decided to go for it! Can't wait to see pics of the little cuties.

Maureen

Six new rats
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 04:21 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Is it up to you to find homes for the puppies, or is that out of your jurisdiction?
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

Nope,they do that.I just provide a home and love until they are adopted.Since the pups are only 5 weeks (almost 6),I will have them at least 3 weeks before they start to look for homes.So as of now the mom and puppies are not for adoption.

* Lisa *