Chicken Soup For The Pet Lover's Soul - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-10-2004, 12:04 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Chicken Soup For The Pet Lover's Soul

Since I'm still feeling way too chicken about the BARF Diet and still feeling way too weary of the popular brands, and trying real hard to find the most appropriate pre-made food I can due to my own fear of "screwing something up" I'm wondering if there's much opinion about this brand...

http://www.chickensoupforthepetloverssoul.com/

I did a quick search on the PT forums and found a couple of good comments. Anyone feeding large breeds with it? Old and/or Young? Any sour comments about it or bad experiences or knowledge that caused you not to use it?

I ran this comparison pitting it against brands I've used in the past as well as one I was considering for future use (Flint Valley Ranch)

http://www.naturapet.com/display.php...4=27&x=13&y=17

This comparison tool Natura provides is really neat for anyone else interested
http://www.naturapet.com/display.php?d=comp-wiz

There's a feed shop that's really close to us that is listed as a distributor so providing that's accurate information it would also be a food that's easy for me to "run out and pick up".

If I settle on this one it'll be for an old rott, a puppy rott, my shepherd/lab mix, and the feline version for our cat..

Thoughts?

- Deb

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-10-2004, 01:04 PM
Miss New Booty

I know Melissa (jmb9101) feeds this to her boxers and loves it! Where are you girl? I have heard nothing but great things about it, as well as Flint River Ranch.

Right now, we are feeding everyone Wellness and it's so far away to go out and get the food. (Unless you know somewhere closer that I don't! ) Have you ever heard of Pookie's Bow Wow Bakery in Winter Park? I know they carry Chicken Soup Food and Wellness (that's where we usually get it) and they will deliver to your zip cide on certain days, too! (We just never plan right when they are delivering out here I think it's a different zip every Friday.)
We have also fed the dogs Solid Gold and I really like it, I just rotated to Wellness for a change and they seemed to love both. I know they have Solid Gold at PetCo.

I'd really like to know if the kitties would like Chicken Soup food!!!! It was SO hard to get them on a good food. They wouldn't touch Solid Gold or California Natural. They seemed to like Innova, but Ginger would get an upset tummy from it. Another food I really liked for the cats was Natural Balance, by Dick Van Patten. But, they seemed to get tired of it, so that's when we switched to Wellness and they LOVE it.

I'm anxious to hear more about this food, too!!

~* Jackie *~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-10-2004, 01:56 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

According to their locator at:
http://www.chickensoupforthepetlover...tributors.html

The Oviedo Feed right by the post office in downtown oviedo is a distributor
Oveido Feed
159 North Central Avenue
Oviedo, FL 32764
407-365-0506

I haven't called them yet to confirm...

<pause..no time like the present...>

Ok they carry it for puppies, adult dogs, cats, and kittens too...

35lb bag is $25 something which is almost $10 cheaper than most of the places I see it for online and I don't have to pay shipping lol. I didn't ask how much any of the other sizes/brands were (they also get our turtle feed in so it makes it simple for me )

- Deb

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-10-2004, 02:02 PM
Poo dont scare me!!!

YEP... I do have to say I do feed my two this food. They both love it. We used to feed Wellness, but Harlie is a picky eater and after a while she gets bored with foods. So far she hasnt gotten bored with the CSFTPLS. Hopefully she doesnt, because we have been doing really good on it. Max is all muscle...has a wonderful coat and soft skin. Harlie, who has always has major skin issues since she was a pup, does very well on this food too...she has a very soft coat and only flakes a little when the seasons change. Which is a wonderful difference to what her skin was before...it was horrible and she looked like a white dog half of the time. We used to have to VACCUUM her!! (She didnt like that at all...) I personally like the food because it is good for them and a little cheaper price wise than some of the other brands.

(I also am very interested in looking into the BARF diet...I printed about a million pages yesterday about it and Josh and I are going to see if it will work in our lives for the dogs. I have wanted to do it for a while...but just like you, was still a little scared to make the change. I still might not do it...but I am looking into it... )

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-10-2004, 02:05 PM
Poo dont scare me!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PicOlio
35lb bag is $25 something which is almost $10 cheaper than most of the places I see it for online and I don't have to pay shipping lol. I didn't ask how much any of the other sizes/brands were (they also get our turtle feed in so it makes it simple for me )
WHAT!!! I wish I lived in Florida right now!!! The 35lb bag here is about 35 bucks!! NO FAIR!!

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-10-2004, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

WOW!!!!

I just picked up a bag of Chicken Soup dog and cat food..

Saber (our 7yr old cat) hates just about everything...I swear getting her to eat is a chore... I couldn't resist testing it out on her right away and SHE LOVES THE STUFF!!!! I almost thought I was watching a dog eat the way she was woofing it down lol.

Anything Saber likes must be good

She is an all black cat so she tends to have a real problem with the dry flaky dandruff skin issues ... I'll be anxious to see if we notice a difference in her skin in about a month or not....

- Deb

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-10-2004, 04:28 PM
Tongue Tied..Literally!

Melissa, how are your dog's bowel movements? The reason why I am asking is because dogs that are on the BARF diet are said to have small, white, bowel movements. I have heard great things about this food and I looked at the website and was very impressed with the ingredients.

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-10-2004, 06:00 PM
Fertile Myrtle

Butting in to say you can always ease into the BARF diet. I never really did full-fledged BARF when I had my dogs. They were on commercial food but I gave them pureed veggies and they got raw pigs feet and other bones a lot. I know much more info is out there now, as I had dogs back in 98-99, but I don't see why you couldn't do a step at a time so as not to overwhelm yourself.

Wife to an amazing man,
mom to three wonderful kids (9, 5.10, 4),
2 dogs, 3 hermit crabs and 2 bettas

|

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-11-2004, 02:24 AM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Christi that is a great suggestion as to easing into the BARF diet.... we are going out today or tomorrow and getting the things we need to begin our transition.
Deb I've heard great things about chicken soup for dogs/cats as well as wellness.
However we can't get that here, so we are going the other route and trying the BARF diet

MCBA Member

Submit your info today

I Sell Chinchilla Supplies!
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-11-2004, 02:43 AM
Miss New Booty

Awesome Deb, I'm so glad to hear a good report on Saber liking the food! I know what you mean about cats that are picky! They wouldn't touch Solid Gold or Cal. Natural! They just love the Wellness Chicken. I was looking at the ingrediants though of CSFTPLS.. I'm worried because the second ingrediant is Salmon. I think my cat, Ginger, is allergic to any food with alot fish in it, my vet said it's highly possible. She got a very upset tummy from Innova and anytime I would feed them canned as a treat with Ocean Fish in it, it wouldn't agree with her. I wonder how she would do with Salmon though?? I really wonder if my dogs would like this food!!? I have been checking out their website tonight!

I told Brad I wanna check out that feed store!!

~* Jackie *~

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-11-2004, 07:15 AM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Quote:
I told Brad I wanna check out that feed store!!
There's not much to check out in their Oviedo location (though they did just open a new one of 50 that might be a ton nicer)

The one in Oviedo is REALLY CRUDDY LOOKING tucked away with other companies.... you just sort of walk in..tell the guy what you want...he climbs around and finds it and hands it off to you lol. I'll figure out what the other location is that was just a built... I have a feeling it will be more for "browsing".

They may carry Wellness... you shoudl call and ask to at least save yourself driving time for those days you don't feel like taking the road trip to Winter Park

- Deb

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-11-2004, 08:45 AM
Poo dont scare me!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denise
Melissa, how are your dog's bowel movements? The reason why I am asking is because dogs that are on the BARF diet are said to have small, white, bowel movements. I have heard great things about this food and I looked at the website and was very impressed with the ingredients.

Denise...its a long story...when they were on Wellness, I had them on the Fish and Sweet Potato kind, because the fish would really help Hars skin, but both dogs got horrible diarehha from it...it was just too rich for them. When I switched Har and Max over, they had a little diarehha still because they would pick out the new stuff and not eat the Wellness...little brats...haha. But after a few weeks they were fine. They always have firm poo...Harlie has smaller piles than Max...but then again Max is 25lbs heavier that her and eats a little more than she does. Unfortunately the poo isnt as great as it would be on BARF, because its doesnt turn to white powder and dissappear!! Ha ha...so I still have to pick it up. Its brown...like normal poo.

And ya know what...the second I start raving about CSFTDLS...lol. Last nite I went to get some dog food because we ran out yesterday morning...and yep...NONE...they had none of the Adult bags left...only Puppy and Senior. GRR I was sorta ticked. So I grabbed one of the 6lb ones...which will last me a few days until they get more in stock...then as I was walking by all the foods I noticed they finally carry Canidae!! I have been wanting to feed Canidae ever since I got my two, but they had no stores near me at all that sold it. Finally they carry it. I have always been impressed by the quality of Canidae, so I bought a 5lb bag of it too...and I think what Im going to do is mix both foods. What was nice is that both dogs scarfed it down and didnt hesitate eating it at all.

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-11-2004, 08:50 AM
Poo dont scare me!!!

Deb Im glad Saber likes it!! And I hope it helps with her skin too.

And Christi that is a good idea to start small with it...maybe it wont seem so difficult that way. I think when I go get the big bag of food this week, I will get a couple of the RMB's they have there (they have a huge freezer packed with BARF diet stuff at Sweet Feed) just to see what Har and Max think of them. I have a hard time thinking they wont love them. Ha ha...

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-11-2004, 09:46 AM
Part of the Pack

Wow the Chicken Soup food looks really good. I used the comparison tool from the first post and put it up against Solid Gold, although it didn't have the brand we use listed. I didn't think much of anything could sway me off of the Solid Gold products and don't plan on changing now but it's nice to see there are more choices in case I ever do need to change foods.

So far I am really impressed and happy with Solid Gold, I also use it with my cats.
http://www.solidgoldhealth.com/

My wonderful loves:
Emma, Xavier, SweetPea, Mr. Pickles, Mary Beth, Sheldon,Zena,Cadbury,Kapuah,Walter,Lou,Chip, Dilbert, Cartman, Gessepi,Miranda, Henry & Riker (my chins)/ Bunny, Little Cat,Clarissa (cats) , Lucy & Grace (Dappled Doxies) Simon (GSD puppy), Cookie (Australian Shepherd puppy), Captain Jack (cockatiel)
Bella Chinchillas
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-11-2004, 12:32 PM
Miss New Booty

Quote:
Originally Posted by PicOlio
There's not much to check out in their Oviedo location (though they did just open a new one of 50 that might be a ton nicer) you just sort of walk in..tell the guy what you want...he climbs around and finds it and hands it off to you lol.
Deb!!! I will have to check and see if they have the Wellness then!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn
So far I am really impressed and happy with Solid Gold, I also use it with my cats.
Aww that's good Jenn! Our dogs loved Solid Gold, too. It's a very good food! Your cats ate Solid Gold!!?? WOW!! My cats wouldn't even touch it!!!! I brought home the bag all excited and they wouldn't have it!

~* Jackie *~

Tags
barf diet, black cat, cat food, chicken soup, dick van patten, dog food, lab mix