chihuahua - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-07-2006, 01:54 PM Thread Starter

Red face chihuahua

Hi everyone, I don't have much experience with dogs, but one day i happened to walk into a pet store and fell in love with this chihuahua. Not only was he way too expensive but i have been hearing bad things about them. If anyone has one or knows anything about them please let me know, because i am still in love with it but if they aren't good dogs i don't want to get it. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-07-2006, 02:58 PM

Chihuahuas tend to be a "one person only" dog. Usually kinda agressive to strangers. Of course, with proper socialization and training you will be able to minimize or eliminate this. They are also very delicate dogs, obviously cause of their size. My advice is, do some proper research on the breed and try to find a reputable breeder. Pet store dogs are definitely not the most healthy ones. They usually come from puppy mills where they are poorly bred. You'll have a better chance of getting a puppy without health and behavioural problems from a good breeder than from a petstore.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-07-2006, 04:28 PM

It really depends on the dog and how he was rasied. My grandparents raised Chihuahuas for years. They had a little male named Chi-chi he was the meanest dog, because I found out one of my cousins abused him. He would get on the couch next to my grandfather and if you got near grandpa he would growl and snap at ya. Then I had a red long hair named Misty who the only thing you had to fear from her was death from petting her to much. She will jump in your lap and put one paw up for you to pet her and if you didnt she would have little tears run down her face. Right now I have one little male named Poopster. If he is at home and some one he doesnt know comes he will bark at them, he has only snapped at some one once and that is because they got near my son and he didnt know them and didnt like them that close to Dwight. If we take him someplace with us he is a sweet little guy, never growls or barks just wags his tail and licks. Depending on how they are raised, some can be the sweet. It also depends on if the dog takes to you. Like I said Chi-chi could be the meanest dog, if he didnt know or didnt like you. He nipped at a friend of mine and my ex (at the time boy friend) he actually lept for his face. Then when Logan and I started dating he came over and I went to feed them (there dish is in the kitchen and I had a gate up to keep him back there since my aunt was coming by and she hated him) I warned Logan that Chi-chi would jump at him, and that I would grab him. Well Chi-chi took one look at logan jumped in his lap and licked him. So I maried Logan cuz my evil dog loved him! Sorry if this got a little long or a little storied, I just wanted to give you my personal exsperiance with them. I love them and would trade them for the world.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-07-2006, 05:14 PM Thread Starter

Thank you guys, that is some good advice would anyone happen to know where to get good information about them? I could use any more advice i could get thank you.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-07-2006, 06:45 PM

Here you can find breeders and info about the breeds:
http://www.akc.org/index.cfm?nav_area=homeage

Here is the direct link to the chihuahua page:
http://www.akc.org/breeds/chihuahua/index.cfm

more about the breed:
http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/chihuahua.htm
http://www.chihuahuaclubofamerica.com

Not exactly about the breed, but I'm not sure if you have or have had a dog, so if you are a first-time dog owner, these pages are useful:
http://www.canismajor.com/dog/frstyear.html

That's what I have on my favorites, but do a search on yahoo and you'll find tons of websites!
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-09-2006, 01:02 PM Thread Starter

Thank you, those websites were very helpful i'll take anymore information i can get if you or anyone else has any thanks.

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-09-2006, 01:53 PM

I have a Chihuahua, Tito, and he's a sweetie. He loves to cuddle and would be perfectly content to spend his entire day curled up in my lap. When I'm home and sitting down, it's guaranteed that he's on my lap. I have a German Shepherd that my Chi loves... they play together and even cuddle together. I also have a Yorkie mix that he love to cuddle and play with. All 3 of them are best friends.

Now, Stephanie brought over her pug puppy and Tito was a little punk. He was acting scared though. And this pup was coming into his house and taking away his mama's attention. I had to put him in the back room while they were over because he just wouldn't behave. BUT I've had him around other dogs while not at home and he's been just fine.

He's territorial of our house & yard (barking only). He will bark at a squirrel in the yard.

He loves to stay warm and will frequently hide under a blanket or pillow - he loves to burrow - which is a Chi thing. I agree that they can be "one owner dogs" and will tend to bond with one person and be very loyal to them. Tito is *my* dog but will still cuddle with my hubby if I'm not home.

I love my Tito dearly and wouldn't trade him for anything. I would definitely get a Chi again.
Here are some pics of my Tito: http://www.parrottimes.com/Tito.html

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-09-2006, 06:13 PM Thread Starter

thank you...and your dog is adorable esspecially in all of his clothing.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-09-2006, 06:19 PM

I think they are awesome! My grandma has 4, they have puppies about twice a year and they are just the sweetest things!
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-09-2006, 06:57 PM
Dinky Corsetkisser

my papa has always owned Chihuahuas...and each one was so different.

Pepe was a fiesty little dog who was ready to take on the world...after he took a nap lol

Tina #1 loved 2 people...my papa and me...the rest she wanted nothing to do with, she was so sweet to me and papa but would bite others if they tried to hug my papa or came to close to me lol...she wanted to be loved and held and was content to be on my papas lap for her 14 years of life

Tina #2 is 8 or 9 now and is such a happy little girl, she loves everyone, she wants everyone to love on her and to play with her, but at the end of the day wants to be on my papas lap...she doesn't take well to new dogs, it takes a little while for her to get used to them...shes just honestly a happy go lucky girl

then my brother has one named China and shes a scaredy cat, afraid of any and all new things, her best friend is Max the pit bull and she runs to him for comfort constantly, no one but David and his girlfriend can touch her...

So all chihuahuas have different personalities as do all dogs...

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-09-2006, 11:27 PM Thread Starter

it seems to be coming across that way haha...does anyone have any ways to get one to be friendly to everyone. I am seriously considering one but i don't know the first thing about training a dog so if you know how to do that it would also be helpful thanks.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-10-2006, 12:17 AM
Dinky Corsetkisser

socialization and puppy classes are great starters...the first tina my papa had stayed only with him, and myself so thats all she knew...the second went every where with us and plays with all the grandkids so she loves people

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-10-2006, 01:08 AM

Not all Chihuahuas are aggressive..one person dogs..etc. Many are very loving. They do have some common health problems, as some breeds do.. and i'd never, ever suggest getting a dog from a pet store. Unless it's a pet store that has animals for ADOPTION. Find a good breeder...or rescue.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-10-2006, 09:20 AM

Not all pet stores that sell dogs are bad, I know a mom & pop pet store that are very responsible breeders.

As for getting your pup used to and friendly with other dogs.... socialization & puppy classes are your best bet. Of course, your dogs demeanor and personality will weigh into how they act with other dogs but socialization with other dogs can work wonders!

Best of luck to you & it's good to see you asking questions.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-10-2006, 10:08 AM

No, I have a good friend who owns a pet store. And, is a breeder. Granted she'd never sell her dogs in the store. She sells privately and after thorough screening when she does breed..or gets buyers before she breeders her dogs in the first place. But the majority of stores that will sell dogs are either carrying pups from puppy mill type situations, or those who don't necessarily have the best dogs to start with.

Tags
german shepherd, pet store, pet stores, pit bull, puppy mill, puppy mills, reputable breeder