chihuahua questions - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-24-2004, 12:03 AM Thread Starter

chihuahua questions

I'm interested in a adopting a chi/beagle mix neutered male who is approx. a year old. He was rescued from a kill shelter just before he was to be euthanized. I'm trying to learn all that I can about chi's so that I can be better prepared should this adoption happen.

I've been around beagles all my life, so I feel confident about those genes he has.

This boy is an alpha male and does not like other male dogs, but does do well around female dogs. I'd like to take him to an obedience class, but I'm wondering how he might adapt to that especially considering the possibility of being around other males?

Also, the foster family does not know how he is with cats. I have two cats who are 6 yrs old and haven't been around a dog either. The cats and dog don't necessarily have to be together, but it would be nice, obviously. Any suggestions how to introduce them to make it go as smooth as possible?

I've read that chi's can have problems with hypoglycemia and need to be fed often. How much should they eat and how often? Can they be free fed?

I've read there is controversy over vacinations with toy breeds, has anyone had problems or know more about this? I know this dog is UTD on his vaccines and is neutered so would it be safe to assume he can handle getting them? Any special precautions I should be aware of?

What's the purpose, exactly, of a bellyband? It is just in case the males try to "mark" on the furniture. Is it just a male thing, or do females use these too?

I've heard chi's can stress easily too. What can I do to make his transition into a new home as easy as possible?

I know there's a lot here, but I'm eager to learn!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-24-2004, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piggiemommy
I've read that chi's can have problems with hypoglycemia and need to be fed often. How much should they eat and how often? Can they be free fed?

I've read there is controversy over vacinations with toy breeds, has anyone had problems or know more about this? I know this dog is UTD on his vaccines and is neutered so would it be safe to assume he can handle getting them?
I have a 7 month old female chihuahua who is free fed the BARF diet. I keep her bowl full of food and she eats when she wants. If you don't free feed, I have no idea how much a chi should eat (I'm sure somone will answer that though)

I've raised shihtzu's and now own a chihuahua and have never had any problems with vaccinations. I have heard of problems, but haven't dealt with any myself. If he's utd with his shots, I'm sure he'll be fine with them.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-24-2004, 01:20 AM

I have a 4 lb. Chi and never pesonally had any problems with vaccinations. But, I think a lot of that has to do with your vet's level of experience as well. I would try to chose a vet that is familiar with toy breeds ... maybe one that a chi breeder who lives in your area recommends? With both of my chihuahuas the vet has to hold the skin away from the muscle to prevent the needle from going to far in ... They have to use an awful lot of fluid compared to their body weight so ... when you do vaccinate expect your Chi to be pretty sore for a day or two.

My chi's free feed as well. They both maintain a good body weight by doing this so .. I really have never fed them a perscribed amount. Chi's tend to be pretty active so they eat a good amount for their body weight.

Both of my chi's were introduced to cats for the first time after the youngest was 2 years old. My male is pretty territorial so I know where you're concern is coming from. There was a lot of growling and hissing at first but in the span of a year they have both advanced to where they can mutually ignore each other. Are your cats declawed? I never had any of them attack each other, personally ... the only time problems arose was when they might be passing each other in a hallway and one accidentally stepped too close for comfort.

I would introduce them gradually .. maybe keep the dog in a controlled area like behind a child gate and allow them to see each other through the gate for a few days ... this will give your cats the opportunity to get used to the dog at their own comfort level.

Chi's do tend to get nervous .. like .. they will shake often when they are in unfamiliar areas or are excited ... this is normal for the breed. If they are regularly exposed to new things ... like, car rides for instance, these things become less stressful. All in all, chihuhuas tend to think they are much bigger and badder than they really are ... some obviously don't know their own size ... my male tries to take on the Great Dane down the street whenever it is on walks, for instance. But, when they are not in their own territory they may get nervous and stressed, yes. They tend to stay close to their owner in these situations for comfort and safety reasons.

Anyway, I hope I helped. Good luck with your darling new rescue!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-24-2004, 01:22 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

I think it's wonderful that you want to adopt this dog and give him a chance in a forever home

All of your questions are valid ones, but I would want to find out a few different things first.

You mention that the dog is a chi/beagle mix. How big is he? What does he look like? More like a beagle or a chi?

You know that he is "alpha" - and is wearing some sort of Belly Band. Yes, it could be that the dog is very territorial and is a "marker". If this is a well engrained behavior, it's sometimes next to impossible to break them of it.

I would first want to know about his background. Why was he given up? Does he have a history of biting, either another animal or a person - or a child?
How long was he in the shelter before he was rescued?

As far as his shots, I would assume since you say he is up to date on everything and no history of reaction is noted in his medical charts or records, you are safe in that regard. Do you have access to documentation of his medical and behavioral past?

Do you have the time to invest in a dog with potential behavioral issues that can't be solved? It's sad but true that some dogs are victims of "bad genetics" (so to speak) and their behavioral issues can't be unwired or reprogrammed.

If at all possible, could you have a professional behaviorist evaluate his temperament before you decide to adopt him? Do you know anyone in your area that would be willing to do it for free? Perhaps someone from the Obedience school (or class) you want to take him to would be willing to visit with him and evaluate him. They'd be able to tell you weather or not they feel he would benifit from Obedience Training around other dogs, or work better alone with a private Trainer - or worst case senario - They may feel he's genetically beyond any help and will always display some level of unacceptable aggression/ dominance marking... or even be a potential risk for biting.

If you already know he has these behavioral issues, it's quite possible that he'd be aggresive to the point of harm with cats - it's very hard to predict without a thourough evaluation.

I honestly don't mean to come across as a doomsayer
That is not my intention and I hope you don't think I am trying to discourage you from adopting him. I just believe that it's important that you "fit" together.

I don't know the dog - I am just posing these questions as food for thought.

As far as the health/hypoglycemia issue - if he's not small and has the Beagle genes, he most likely never had that problem, and at 1 year old if it had occured there should be some sort of Vet record to document it in his medical history. Toy Breeds often outgrow the tendancy to have hypoglycemic episodes.

One other possible reason for a "Belly Band" (this is the human nurse part of me thinking now) would be because he has a possible umbilical hernia or other abdominal hernia that was never surgically treated. I would definately ask the foster family why he is wearing a Belly Band. Usually when a male starts marking and behavioral reshaping doesn't solve it I have seen them in "diapers" much the same as what would be put on a female in heat, constructed to absorb more liquid.

As far as the "stress" - if he's already been documented as aggressive, I wouldn't think he's a "stresser". (when I think of a Toy breed dog with stress behaviors I think of shaking, timidness and submissive, sometimes fear based problems) Usually dogs with softer temperaments are effected by stress and display more timid or shy personalities. Again, this can't be determined for sure without actually spending a little time with the dog observing his reactions to common stress inducing situations.

This is ALL speculation on my part and it's what I would want to know about the dog before I made the decision to adopt him.

I recently did a temperament assesment for a breeder who took a male Yorkie out of a breeding program where he lived in a kennel and was not well socialized. He was marking and obviously not trained at all ... It only took me about 15 minutes of temperament testing to determine that all the poor guy really needed was some training, structure and socialization. There were no signs of aggression at all. It was totally safe to keep him in the home, introduce him to the other dogs, train him and place him in a forever home where he'd be loved and cared for. I did advise that he be placed in a home where he'd be the only animal to minimize the marking displays.

Sorry to make this post so long....
I'm just always very cautious and leary when I learn that a dog has been pegged "aggressive" in any regard.
"Aggressive toward other males" could also translate to "unpredictable". Just make sure you cover all the bases and dig as deep as possible into the dog's behavioral history, and if at all possible, do it with the help of a professional, or someone with experience in behavioral assesment.

That's my 2 cents and more

I'm sure there will be other points of view posted

Good Luck and let us know what happens!

[center]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-24-2004, 01:58 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the great info!

I'm making plans to meet him this coming week. When that happens I will be able to see him myself in his territory where he feels safe. I can ask his fosters all of the questions and more that I might have by then!

From a picture I've seen, he does have the typical Beagle markings, but they said he has more of a chi personality and he's only 10 lbs and they said is full grown. I've seen pictures of long haired chi's with similar coloring and they were labeled as purebred chi's, so I'm having doubts about any Beagle in the mix, but who knows? I'm doing the research primarily on chi's, both because I'm very familiar with Beagles and only see any Beagle genes as a good thing, and also because I'm not so familiar with chi's. I've heard about their negatives (in general) but the only one I've ever known in person was an abosolute sweetheart and very well socialized with people and animals.. and he was a stray!

I'm hoping the fosters might know more about this guy's history, but I'm planning on the big possibility they don't since he was taken from a kill shelter.
Here's his ad on petfinder:
http://www.petfinder.org/pet.cgi?act...=0&tmpl=&stat=

Maybe someone else can tell more from the picture if his markings might be typical of chi's or if you think he does look more Beagle-like.

From the ad, I get the impression the belly band might be an aid to housebreaking, but I guess marking inside is also possible.

The foster mom is excited about me meeting him and she said that he will be the one deciding if he likes me.

I am prepared to handle any problems he might come with, whether they be short term or long term. Once I commit to any pet, I'm committed for life. I work from home so I'll easily be able to watch him closely 99% of the time. Usually when I do leave it's to go to the pet store (and he can come with) or to my sister's. She has a female Beagle who loves all animals and since he gets along well with females I think he would enjoy those weekly trips down the road.

Don't apologize for long posts, mine tend to lean that way too most of the time

Pure14K ~ what's a "BARF" diet?

The rescue is small and run in a private home. They specialize in chi's and they also take in other small breeds, so I think they are probably a good judge of temperment and will be able to give me a good idea of what all to expect with him, but getting someone from an obedience place to come and meet him with me is a good idea!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-24-2004, 02:17 AM

Hmmm... Well it sounds like meeting him & then taking his needs into consideration is the best idea. Deja's given wonderful advice & hopefully everything she's pointed out (negatively) isn't the case. I do agree that not all animals can be saved, and some habits will never be 'broken.'

A BARF diet basically stands for Bones & Raw Food diet & is what I feed all my dogs (currently own 24) and information about it can be found here:

http://home.earthlink.net/~pawsreflect/nutrition.html

Good luck & keep us updated
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-24-2004, 09:53 AM

Well, it sounds like everyone has already given you some great advice but I'll chime in here too. My Tito, is a chihuahua. He does get nervous in new situations but that is when he clings to me. Once he knows someone, he does fine and is very friendly. Sharon was over the other day and it took about 30 seconds for him to warm up to her.

Tito is very needy and wants to be with me ALL the time. I only have one Chi and he's my first Chi so I'm not sure if all are like this or just mine. He would be perfectly content to spend every minute of every day on my lap. If he's not with me then he's clinging to my Yorkie or Shepherd. He's very sweet and I love him to death but he's not an independant doggie like my Yorkie is.

Tito is free fed also. Both my little dogs have a bowl of food available to them all day long. And we never had any problems with getting his vaccines. (although he did cry everytime he got a shot!)

I hope it all works out for you and good luck!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-24-2004, 01:50 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGawana
Tito is very needy and wants to be with me ALL the time. I only have one Chi and he's my first Chi so I'm not sure if all are like this or just mine. He would be perfectly content to spend every minute of every day on my lap. If he's not with me then he's clinging to my Yorkie or Shepherd.
Pixie's like this too. I'm pretty sure it's a breed charecteristic
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-24-2004, 07:07 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

I read the ad and looked at the picture. What a cutie pie!!

Did anyone else look at his picture? Is it me? Am I the only one who didn't see Beagle? Just by his facial markings (the blaze and coloring) he looks like a chi/fox terrier cross - Fox Terriers are in the same size range - and 10 pounds sounds about right.
Beagle- hrrm... You'll know more when you see him in person I think since you *know* Beagles.

I really hope it all works out for you. When I read the information in the ad I understood more of what you initially posted. It sounds like you may have a real sweetie there who just needs some consistant love and affection - and some training.

Good Luck - please keep us posted! I'm really interested to know how it goes when you get to meet him and spend a little time getting to know him!

[center]

[
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-24-2004, 09:34 PM

No... I definitely see the beagle ... especially in those adorable eyes!!! OMG ... that has to be the cutest mix ever!
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-25-2004, 10:27 AM

Hmmm. I'm with Linda on this one. I don't really see any Beagle. Although it is hard to tell with just one picture.

Good luck to you!
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-26-2004, 10:24 PM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone! I'm still anxiously waiting to hear back from his foster family and find out when I get to meet him! I can see where someone would say beagle because of his markings and the little bit you can see of his legs look stocky to me for a toy/small breed, but at 10 lbs and a year old, I just don't imagine that's a strong possibility. Toy Fox Terrier in him would make more sense! I don't care what he is, I'm already falling in love! LOL

Tags
barf diet, neutered male, obedience training, pet store, raw food diet, toy fox terrier