Cleaning ears - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-25-2005, 03:07 PM Thread Starter
Tongue Tied..Literally!

Cleaning ears

How often do you clean your dog's ears? What do you use to clean their ears? Yesterday, I cleaned Pitch's ears and the cotton ball was full of wax. I don't think I got it all out either.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-25-2005, 03:21 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

I am really bad when it comes to cleaning out the dog's ears but when I've done it the balls have been clean. The last time I cleaned out Biscuit's ears was before we went away, she started scratching them so I cleaned them. she had a tiny bit of wax in there but not much and she stopped scratching after that. I do check them regularly (Biscuit's and Cindy's) but they always look clean and at vet checks the vet always says they are clean too. I don't think we've ever cleaned Cindy's ears. In 14 years she has only had one ear infection and again her ears always come up good when it comes to vet checks.
I know my best friend cleans her dog's ears every time she baths them and she said they are always dirty. I know it seems really wrong to not clean a dogs ears but for some reason they just don't seem to get a wax build up or dirt in them at all. I think for any future dogs I have I will just see how they go, clean them out and then keep cleaning them until I can figure out how often they need to be done.

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-25-2005, 03:23 PM Thread Starter
Tongue Tied..Literally!

Carmen, I have a feeling the shelter didn't clean his ears. I am going to clean them again tonight and see how long it takes before he gets wax build-up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-25-2005, 06:02 PM
I'm A Blonde At Heart

I know we clean Lady's ears every time we went to the "self cleaning place" but now we take her to a groomer so i thik she gets her ears cleaned. All we did was get a flat cotten swab and put the ear clening solutions and i would wipe the inside down. I never used a q-tip or anything because lady gets super excited really easy and i was scared i would stab the inside of her ear. i hope i did it right.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-25-2005, 08:58 PM
Angel to Abandoned Puppies

I clean my dogs ears weekly. We use an ear wash from the vet and cotton balls.

MCBA Member

I've Been Frosted
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-26-2005, 12:02 AM
Part of the Pack

I clean out my boyfriend's dog's ears twice a week with a wash thing that I got at the vet also with cotton balls. It's suppose to go into the ear and bring everything that's in the ear out to the top where you can get it with a cotton ball. So far it's been going good with it.

My babies...

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-26-2005, 05:56 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

I clean my guys' ears whenever I see dirt At work we get clean ears, dirty ears, waxy ears, infected ears... Some dogs are more prone to it then others.

Owned by 26 chins, 7 cats, 2 dogs, and 7 aquariums

Come drop by!

Tags
ear infection