Clicker Training - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-22-2008, 01:47 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Clicker Training

Hi, I have just gotten a clicker (today actually!) for my sheltie. I was wondering if anyone has used clicker training on their dog. My sheltie is almost 10 months old and know the basic sit and lay down, with verbal and hand signals (He is VERY smart when he wants to be!!! lol) I mainly wanted to use a clicker for some more positve reinforcement and to help him walk better onto his leash. He walks farely well onto it, but that is only b/c he is small and doesn't pull as hard (I would hate to see him if he were a great Dane, though!!)

I figured with the clicker (the new i-clicker) I would be able to click when the leash went slack and he would gradually learn that that was good. But, then agian, that was the same thought I had in my head when I got him a choke chain a month ago. He still pulls and chokes himself. I have always hated the idea of the choke chain choking them, but I figured I would give it a shot. It hasn't worked any magic on him yet though.

Anyways, if anyone has had success or has any tips or anything on clicker training (or even how to get him to walk on a leash like a gentleman, lol), please post!!!! Thanks in advance to anyone who posts!!!

My Second Family:

Snickers---2 year old Sheltie pup
Shadow---1 yr German Shepherd pup
Carmen--- cream longhaired boy kitty
Chloe---black shorthaired girl kitty
Tyge---my baby 1 yr dark tiger kitty
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ebony---(girl) 2 yr old silver fox bunny
Baby ---(Boy) gray Bunny 1 yr old!!
Tweety---6 month loud mouth parakeet
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

tubby---Winter white dwarf hamster
? ? ?--- 4 goldfish

Two Baby degu's

RIP-- Prettyboy 3 yeat old parakeet

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-23-2008, 07:14 AM
Salamander Burgermuffin

i was actually about to come on here and make a post about clicker training when i saw yours Im thinking of trying clicker training with tanner. And was courious if anyone on here has tried it. ive found some websites that have some great advice. But i think youtube has been the best. Its nice to actually see people actually training there dog and not just telling how to.
I found this really neat video. This woman uses a clicker to teach her dog to push a drawer closed without ever saying a word to him!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cW5mRswhURU

My Furry Family
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-23-2008, 08:28 AM
Dinky Gerbilelbow

I use clicker training on my 10months old lab. She is an absolute nightmare on the lead so here is what i do and it seems to be working!!!
When said dog starts to pull turn and walk the other way immediately! When said dog catches up to you and reaches your side click and treat. Do this until said dog realises that he/she is a good dog when walking at your side!! Good Luck! Let me know how you get on xx

*Carla*
I
my animals!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-23-2008, 11:20 AM
Curmudgeon

Clicker training is just one of MANY ways to train your dog. It is extremely popular because the clicker gives you and your pet a simple, consistent bridge. Just google it and you will run across dozens (if not hundreds) of webpages about it.

A good book to read is "Don't Shoot the Dog" by Karen Pryor. It will help you understand WHAT you are doing, not just how to train. It is required reading in many institutions before you begin training animals like primates, big cats and cetaceans. Once you understand the basic concepts of training, you'll find it doesn't matter whether you use a clicker, a whistle, or a verbal "Good Boy!".

Bob

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
I think, therefore I drive fast.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-23-2008, 12:01 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

OMG, that video was amazing! The dog was so responsive. I will try him waling like you said Cazsamps, and I'll see how that works.

My Second Family:

? ? ?--- 4 goldfish

Two Baby degu's

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-23-2008, 12:25 PM
Dinky Gerbilelbow

Good luck with that! It has worked with my lab. She is a big girl and still tries to pull me over every now and then but for the best part she walks like she should!!!

*Carla*
I
my animals!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-23-2008, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

I found a GREAT site on clicker training. I have copied all the information and am using it to train my puppy. http://www.clickerlessons.com/

I have just started with The Clicker, or the first step in Mary's lessons, and will continue with that for a couple of days. He caught on pretty quick, but he just kept looking at my hands, either the one with the treats (diced hotdogs) or the one with the clicker. When I put both hands behind my back, so as not to destract him, as soon as i clicked the clicker, he went looking behind my back to see where it was. IDK, I will try to conquer it tommorrow. I only had him do this for about 3-5 minutes, while he was still enjoying it. I found out that he really LOVES hot dogs!!!!

My Second Family:

? ? ?--- 4 goldfish

Two Baby degu's

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-25-2008, 12:07 PM
The Title Fairy Was Here

i would start in the house or garden and get him used to walking a heel (by your leg left or right but in the UK we use left) and click him when he is walking correctly and always make some to treat him after each click then slowly wean him off the treats to just a click, and gradually build this up to walking out in public with distractions.

Come see more of my fur babies at

Tags
clicker training