Collar? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-09-2005, 09:49 AM Thread Starter
I Think I Need a Bigger Bear

Collar?

Do you keep a collar on your dog(s) even when they're not on a leash?

Just curious how everyone does it. What do ya'll do?

We have 3 dogs and none of 'em wear a collar unless we're going out in public (vet, with friends, etc). I just don't think it's necessary around the house... at least for my guys. None of my dogs have to go on a leash when they go outside, we live in the middle of nowhere so we can just let them out the back door. Except our GSD, he wears the invisble fence collar when he goes outside. I would think it would be more comfortable to be collarless for the furry kids of ours.

~ Jodi ~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-09-2005, 09:53 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Gumbo stays in his harness at all times, with the exception of after a bath, etc. We're in a very urban setting and I shudder to think what would happen if he were to get out without us if someone opened the door. He's microchipped as well.

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-09-2005, 09:54 AM
Poo dont scare me!!!

Our three are the same. They dont wear their collars unless we are going on walks, the vet, or else out somewhere. At home they dont wear them because when they play they choke eachother...lol...Same with the backyard...it seems the collar must be the best thing to latch on to when they are all wrestling. Plus we wouldnt want them to be worn in the crates because of the choking hazards.(Grace is an escape artist...) I just know they prefer to be without one because when they have them on, they itch their necks like they have fleas...But its just because they dont like to wear them unless its for a special reason, like walks. They wear bandanas occasionally though.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-09-2005, 10:03 AM
Newborn Pup

I work from home and I take my pups out several times a day usually, so they keep their collars on pretty much all the time. I think it'd be different if I was away from home all day. I can't see them getting caught on anything but you never know.

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-09-2005, 10:55 AM
Part of the Pack

Since we can't let Coral out and not have her run away, we keep her collar on all the time. Same with Joey, I never know when I'm going to put the leash on him.

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-09-2005, 11:08 AM
Stinky Liverbrain

I keep mine with the collar on too. Charlotte and Valentina stay always in the backyard, and they are escape artists... There was a time when they escaped several times a day. Charlotte was a clever girl and just walked around the street and came into the front of the house... (she fits through the bars of our gate), now, Valentina usually follows Charly around, but she doesn't fit through the bars... so went around the street to do some other stuff and we had to search for her. Dad fixed the problem (they were climbing the fence...) and it's been a while since they last escaped... but I think they are clever enough to find another way.... They are highly motivated by the iguanas in my neighbor's backyard. Odie also keeps his collar allthe time. He also fits through the bars of the gate... he's rarely out there, and usually with me... but if a person or a dog walks on the street, he'll try to go out and chase. Has done it twice. Also, where I lived before (near college) we shared the backyard with another apartment and people were constantly coming in and out. He just got out once there, and was when I went outside, and he behaved surprisingly like a little gentleman and stayed by my side even when people were walking around. Still, I was afraid of him getting out, so collar all the time! And after that, well, we both got used to the collar. I take them out for a bath (and till they dry) and Odie sees me with his collar on my hand and he comes running to show me his neck... LOL The girls are other story... I have to wrestle them to get it on, but after it's on they leave it alone...

Dimaris

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-09-2005, 11:16 AM
Fluffy Potatokisser

Orion and Kali keep their collars on at all times unless Shane takes them off. They have their rabies tags and ID tags rivited to the collars. Here if a pitbull is found without identification they are immediately destroyed. So just in case one bolts out the door or jumps the fence, AC knows they are owned and rabies vaccinated which gives us a few days to locate them. It's never happened, but one can never be too careful

Chin Mom to Lila, Skye, Ty, Rolex, Calypso, Lizzie, Jax, Sam, Sage, Lorenzo, Spitfire, Holly, Dylan, Leia, Punky, Kylie, Skylar, Jetta, Oreo, Emma, Forest, Georgie, Alexis, Picador and all the kits!
Pittie Mom to Kali and Orion
Rattie Mom to Drake and Dumbo
Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Plain ole Mom to Zach, Brandon and Connor!
Come visit us at
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-09-2005, 11:48 AM

Since Clover was picked up wandering the streets alone before we adopted her, we opt to keep her collar on all the time, just in case. She's made an escape before, when she figured out how to work the latch on the glass door. So she wears her collars, with two tags (one with our number, one with her microchip number and their number), she's microchipped, and she usually wears a bandanna around her neck so that people can easily see she's somebody's and not a stray if she gets out.

Clover, Australian Shepherd Mutt

Loki, Shorthair Feline Terror

Gizmo and Mogwai, Guinea Pigs

Tailchaser and Scuffledig, Devil Gerbils
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-09-2005, 02:31 PM
Miss New Booty

Mine always have their collars on, too. They have name tags and vet rabies tags on, even though (bad me lol) I still need to get them new tags with our new phone number, but all our vet info is on there as well. They are mostly inside all the time, too, but if they don't have their collars on, I can't hear them! I know that sounds funny, but it's actually safer for them and me because otherwise I could trip over them if I don't know they are at my feet because they are small doggies.

~* Jackie *~

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-09-2005, 04:05 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Dante always has his collar on

Owned by 26 chins, 7 cats, 2 dogs, and 7 aquariums

Come drop by!

post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-09-2005, 05:06 PM
Dinky Corsetkisser

mine always have their collars on, incase of escape, but also for medical purposes on 2...epilepsy and arthritis, the tags say they need special medical care

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-09-2005, 05:11 PM
PT's Troll Hunter

Dakota always keeps her collar with tags on, and she isn't microchipped... Its just safer IMO because who knows if I let her out and she decides to take off.

post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-09-2005, 05:22 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

Biscuit and Cindy both wear collars all the time. Occassionally I'll let them sleep without them on, to give them a break, but as soon as their crate is opened it's back on. Cindy was without a collar at all for a long time at my p's house. Both dogs are chipped but Biscuit's tag has her details on it and she is too good an escape artist. Also staffy's are way too popular and without that collar and tag if she got out some people would decide she was now theirs and we'd never see her again. Cindy wears a collar now cause she is in a new neighbourhood. It's sad to say but a lot of people around here identify the difference between a family dog that has gotten out and a stray by whether they have a collar on or not. They both wear cotton collars and if they go for a swim the collars are still on they are out in the open and Biscuit particularly has no probems going home with someone that she befriended on the beach! I've always caught her before she's jumped in their car but there could always be that one time you know.

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-10-2005, 09:32 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Rebel and Claire only wear their harness' when we're outside or in the car since there's no way for them to run out and open door now but I plan to get them microchipped once I get the extra money. They have a rabies tag and ID tag on their harness'

*Brandy*

|
|
|

post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-10-2005, 09:52 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

The big dogs always wear their collars. The little ones have theirs off a lot.

:-)
1 rabbit, 6 rats, 1 conure, 1 cockatiel, 1 lovebird, 1 cockroach

- Bracelets, Beads + Supplies!

Tags
family dog