Colleen is being a BRAT! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-06-2006, 07:46 PM Thread Starter

Colleen is being a BRAT!

Every day for weeks now, we have let her be loose with the other dogs because she behaves so well. When we first brought her home, she'd occaisonally pull paper out of the trash to tear up, but has been very good lately. So why oh why did she have to be so rotten yesterday?

I had just bought dog-opoly and we left to go to dinner in the middle of a game. I was a bad mommy and forgot to put the box up. We come home and most of the bones (aka hotels, but much thinner) are missing, as well as 2 metal playing pieces. Fortunately, we found some of the bones (chewed on) and the 2 metal pieces. Not sure how many bones she ate because I haven't counted yet. Before we found the metal pieces, I called a 24 hour emergency vet to ask if she could pass the pieces on her own or if I needed to rush her to our vet for surgery first thing in the morning. They said she should be able to pass them because they are small, but if she stops eating or pooing, take her to the vet. We know it is her because she is tried to pick one up out of the box after we saw some pieces were missing. Neither of the boys even came near it.

Then my mom comes out of her room to inform us that someone tore apart her headphones and ate some of it. I'll give you one guess who my prime suspect is. Ein never chewed like that, even as a baby (though he did go through a paper shredding phase, thanks to Sebastian), he's always known what is his and what is not. Tucker doesn't chew on anything, either. Fortunatley, I found the big piece that sits on your ear and contains metal and electronics.

Then, while we are playing the game, she finds the brand new filter I bought for our humidifier. Lucas put it on my bedside table, and she got a hold of it and tore it to shreds.

What is with her all of a sudden. I figure she must've been bored so I order a 5 lb box of rawhide for the dogs. We haven't had any in the house for a few days because they go through it like crazy and my wallet needed a break (I just bough 2 6 month supplies of heartguard, a 12 month supply of interceptor and 3 2 month supplies of K9 advantix, so I was planning to wait until next paycheck for the rawhide).

Today, we put the pups in our bedroom with the door closed. And like most days, she touched nothing and was a very good girl. I wish I knew what got into her yesterday. Getting us back for leaving her at the groomers on Saturday? lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-06-2006, 09:18 PM
RAT ADDICT

Haha!I have that game!I love it.

Maybe she is bored.Do you have many different types of toys around?Show her what IS okay to chew on and whats not.Hopefully she will catch on quickly!In the meantime,just crate her when no one is home to watch her.

Or...tell her that "Santa Paws" is watching and if she don't be a good girl,he won't visit her and give her some presents!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-06-2006, 10:06 PM Thread Starter

lol, I'll let her know about Santa Paws.

For toys, we have balls (tennis balls and balls from Petsmart in various shapes and sizes), and lots of chew toys (such as a purple dumbell from petsmart and one of those turquois petstages toys), rubber squeeky toys, tug of war ropes. No stuffed toys, though. Ein thinks its a game to tear them to shreds and throw stuffing from one of the house to the other, and Tucker EATS the pieces. After having to pull pieces of stuffed animal out of his butt (with rubber gloves on, of course) we decided no more stuffed toys in our house.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-06-2006, 10:35 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Have you ever tried buying a Kong toy? Those are great for keeping dogs busy .

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-06-2006, 10:45 PM
Wacky Chimpnose

Well, Chaquita was pretty good when I first got her. Then she realized, "Hmm...I'm really here to stay" and she would get upset and anxious when I'd leave or not pay attention to her, and she'd get destructive. I eventually crated her until we moved to the house and they got a doggy door (don't know why, but being able to go outside made her ok).

You can try starting over again with crate training (not sure if you did this at first). Cause it sounds like she did ok with being in the room.

Good luck! I'm still glad you got her.

OH - and more pics!!!!!!!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-06-2006, 11:55 PM
Suffers From Southern Belle Syndrome

Goodness gracious! She sounds a lot like Seamus when I first started school! He was soooo destructive! To this day I think it was separation anxiety. Though, after I finally made my ex break down and get him a crate, the destruction became virtually nonexistent.

Perhaps just keep her crated while you're away and slowly wean her back into a position of being able to run around? I wish I could be more helpful. With Seamus, we offered him all the toys in the world (stuffed Kong included) and he would STILL tear up things he wasn't supposed to while I was away. Crating was the final try and thankfully it worked.

― Rowan

I've been frosted!

Tags
chew toy, chew toys, crate training, emergency vet, stuffed animal