confused doggie - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-04-2003, 08:59 PM Thread Starter
Beanie Fanatics Anonymous Member

Smile confused doggie

The other day I went to a friends house, and I took Cledus so he could play with her dog Spanner. Well this was the first time Spanner had seen Cledus after he was neutered. And well Spanner was trying to 'get with' Cledus. Why was he doing this? He never tried that when he was not fixed. Why is he now?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I Love You Logan & Cledus!!!

Logan Indy Ping-Pong Pinkerton Gissa Cledus

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-04-2003, 09:23 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

It's likely a dominance issue if they're both males. Spanner wanted to tell Cledus HE was boss.

Stephanie

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-04-2003, 09:28 PM Thread Starter

But why all of a sudden is he doing this now? They have been buddies for a while now. Maybe Spanner thinks Cledus is a girl now that he's fixed¿ lol

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-05-2003, 10:05 AM
Adolescent Pup

My guess is YES the smell is different and gets Spanner going. If Spanner isn`t altered that is another reason he is probably getting frisky being that the male odor isn`t the same.

My Bodie has been altered for two years and just the other day (1st time) he tried to mount my youngest female that is in heat. Never had he done this before but this is his first time being this close to a girl that was READY. Though he can`t produce puppies he still tried and I immediately took him away from the situation. He also (which is funny) after following all the females around in the yard (marking every spot that they had been) gotten confused and instead of cocking his leg SQUATTED! Yes like a girl. He is 4 years old.

If you`re not in it for life, get a stuffed animal.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-05-2003, 12:07 PM
Playful Pup

Spanner probably relizes that Cledus is "different" now.....the smell of an intact dog isnt there anymore....so spanner thinks maybe he can take the role of dominace....maybe Cledus had that role before...and now that he's different, Spanner wants to "take" that role of being dominant dog....especially if Spanner isnt neutered...but could still be the case even if he is.

Female dogs will even do it believe it or not.....its purely a dominance thing with females, as it very well probably is in this case.

__Chipper

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-06-2003, 12:23 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

Jack is neutered, 7 years old and very docile... Max is 6 months, intact and still learning to mind his manners. He's still pretty hyper when they play, and they play a lot! - which includes Max trying to mount Jack every play session.
They are very bonded - and Jack is the dominant dog (over Max only) - I've made sure he remains in that position! Max will even beg like a baby trying to get a chew bone away from Jack - he rolls onto his back leaning right up against Jack and whines like a real baby! It's too funny to watch.
Jack tries to mount Max on occasion too , but Max is so small in comparison, Jack can't get a good grip on him, Max slithers away

Dogs mount as a display of dominance - they do it a lot during play ... When I see Max trying to do it - I knock him down and correct him. I know I can't stop it every single time - but he's potential breeding stock and will remain intact ... he needs to learn he can't be humping any dog he feels like trying to dominate- it's just wrong- not to mention, rude And could get him in real trouble if he tried it on the wrong dog!

He's going on his first Hunting Field trip in a few weeks, up in Canada... boy , is he going to learn some lessons there from the seasoned dogs, or what!?

Jack has never lifted his leg - always squatted like a female... well, Max is starting to lift his leg! Guess who's starting to lift his leg too? Yep - Jack... it's pretty funny! Whenever there are 2 or more dogs together they always have to test the water (so to speak) and they use various tactics as displays of dominant behavior- leg lifting = who can spray the highest and spread more scent, mark more ground. Mounting = you will submit to me!
Females do mount too - it's not a sexual expression - just a way to make a display or overture of domination.
There are all kinds of body language that dogs use to read each other - Cledus may have been displaying some submissive body language and the other dog took advantage of it... or it could have been what everyone else said - he didn't smell dominant , lack of testosterone... either way , I'll bet poor Cledus wasn't too happy about it one bit!!

[center]

[
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-06-2003, 11:53 AM Thread Starter

Hmm, well that's funny. I took him back the other day, and Spanner didn't try to do that. I guess since he wasen't getting anything from Cledus he decided to quit.
Not sure why he would smell different though, cause he's really still a boy. Ohh well either way it doesn't matter. Cledus just thought Spanner was playing with him, lol.