Cookie progress/behavioral journal. - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-06-2004, 07:56 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Cookie progress/behavioral journal.

I just wanted to share any progress or behaviors my Cookie is showing during this difficult time and her adjusting to the new apartment.

Last night, when I got home, she greeted me so happily. No poop or pee (well, I didn't see any pee, but who knows) in the apartment. I immediately took her out for a walk and she was pooped. She did her business outside. I brought her in and played fetch with her and her favorite tennis ball. She was so tired and cuddled up with me for the rest of the night.

I woke up this morning and told her we were going outside. She got extremely excited. Went outside, she FINALLY ran down the flight of stairs (she was terrified yesterday and the day before), walked her around the lake, she did her business, then when I was ready to go back upstairs she was hesitant first at running up the stairs but then she was so happy she did it! Yay! She wagged her butt and her tail as she stood in front of the apartment door waiting for me to open it. So I played for a little while with her before I started getting ready for work. I did like Deja told me and ignored her when I was getting ready. She would leave where I was then come back to check if I was still there. However, when I left without saying bye or anything, she started barking and howling. I stood at the end of the stairway hearing her howling for me to come back. It broke my heart again. I'm still not sure how long she barks for. And I'm curious how long she barks for when she hears someone outside or a noise when I'm not there. But all I can do is think about her when I'm at work and hoping she's not sad or still barking. She's such an adorable puppy and has been an absolute angel when I'm there.

But, it looks like she is having progress with the potty training. I'm keeping my fingers crossed there and hoping that she'll be able to hold it even longer when I can't come home anymore for lunch, only time will tell. I'm still just worried about her barking behavior. What if I want to step out to run an errand at night? I don't want her to annoy the neighbors. I do have some errands I need to do this week at night and am so afraid of her howling like a maniac.

Ok, thanks for listening and letting me share!

Jessica

My zoo: 2 Ferrets named Natira and McCoy and lots of different fishies, snails, and african dwarf froggies.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-06-2004, 11:11 AM
Wants to Hug Hose Bunnies

I am glad Cookie is doing better for you! Time will make it all better for both of you! She as adjusting to the new everything and it will take a little time!

post #3 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-06-2004, 12:11 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Me too - I'm glad you both seem to be settling into a routine - Capn is right, it is going to take some time.

Maybe on the weekend you can test her - leave and actually wait listening for how long she carries on... man I know it would break my heart too and I'd be thinking about her all day as well.

It sounds like you are really doing a great job trying to aclimate her and it's so obvious how much you care about her

Keep up the good work and remember - we are here for you!

[center]

[
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-06-2004, 12:16 PM
Miss New Booty

Well it sounds like she is making alot of progress!!! The potty training seems to be going great!!!! I think you are on the right track, and it will take her some time to get used to everything, etc. She is still a puppy and I think the seperation anxiety will get better as she grows up and gets used to the routine, etc, and as you I'm sure know, dachshunds are SOOO loyal! My doxies will follow us everywhere as well!! Very protective dogs They do hear everything and anything, don't they? Keep us updated on Cookie's progress! We would all love to see more pics, too! :bfly:

~* Jackie *~

post #5 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-06-2004, 12:19 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Wow, you guys are truly a great supportive bunch. It really helps me stay calm and know that I am not alone in this aspect. Thanks so much. I'll take pics of her tonight at the apartment and post them.

Thank you again, from the bottom of my heart!

Jessica

My zoo: 2 Ferrets named Natira and McCoy and lots of different fishies, snails, and african dwarf froggies.

post #6 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-06-2004, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Some pics... I hate this crappy camera, my ex has the good one so this one makes things too yellow and contrasty. Yucky.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cookie1.jpg (44.5 KB, 39 views)

Jessica

post #7 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-06-2004, 05:42 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Another..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cookie2.jpg (32.9 KB, 36 views)

Jessica

post #8 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-06-2004, 05:43 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Again..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cookie3.jpg (37.0 KB, 35 views)

Jessica

post #9 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-06-2004, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Another...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cookie4.jpg (33.8 KB, 33 views)

Jessica

post #10 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-06-2004, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Last one..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cookie5.jpg (32.8 KB, 32 views)

Jessica

post #11 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-06-2004, 06:42 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Awwwww!!! She is so, so cute! I just want to dress her up in a pink sweater and hug her!

(omg someone stop me - I am obsessed with tiny dog clothes )

[center]

[
post #12 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-06-2004, 08:42 PM
Playful Pup

Oh, the pics are adorable!

I know how hard it is to leave them whining and howling. Millie had a pretty bad case of seperaton anxiety when we first got her and I just hated ignoring her when I was getting ready.

One thing our behaviorist suggested was to take very small pieces of a very good treat and sort of drop them from the sky as we were getting ready. Don't let her see that they're coming from you, more like they are just falling from the sky. That way she'll learn to interpret you leaving with goodies, but since they don't come directly from you, you aren't stirring her up.
post #13 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-06-2004, 10:07 PM
Wants to Hug Hose Bunnies

She is adorable!

post #14 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-06-2004, 10:15 PM

Lotta doggies with cataracts around here?
post #15 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-06-2004, 10:24 PM
Wacky Chimpnose

i have a ques - when you get cookie trained and all that, are you going to try and bring the other 2 dogs back? just wondering.

Tags
bitter apple spray, pet store, potty train, potty training, vet tech