Cooper is sick :-( - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-22-2009, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

Cooper is sick :-(

My mom just emailed me that my dog is sick, he feel over twice and can't keep his balance well. She says its like his legs are stiff and he cant support himself. Now i am worried, he is at the vet right now.

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-22-2009, 02:47 PM
Dinky Corsetkisser

oh no, I hope he is ok, I will keep you all in my thoughts and prayers....

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-22-2009, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

well he got back from the vets, they did x-rays, he ran over 7 miles the other day and they said his hips are really warn, my mom didn't have time to ask if it was worn as in there isn't any cartilage left, or worn as in he is just really sore from running.

I told her to put his tic meds on him just in case it is tic fever or whatever it is called when it makes the dog stiffen up and fall over like that.

He is getting meds for his joints. But if it doesn't get better he will have to be put to sleep. he is only 5 and is normally so active he is always on the go. Now he can't even walk acrossed the yard. i'm bawling.

[/CENTER]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-22-2009, 08:21 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Aww, hon. I am so very sorry. It is so hard to watch our pets hurt. Such a helpless feeling. You guys are doing what you can--I'm sure Cooper knows that.

I'll be praying for you. Keep us posted. **big hugs**

Mandy

Happily owned by:
Baby--female calico kitty
Dale-- male black lab
Coco--male hamster
Rascal--male hamster
Mr. Squeakers--male guinea pig
Phineas--male guinea pig

RIP Patches. You were the sweetest hamster I've ever known. There will never be another like you.

RIP sweet little Bugsy. We didn't know you long, but we loved more than you could have known. Sleep sweet little one.

RIP little Sammy. Thanks for 2 and a half wonderful years! You had a long happy life and we miss you more than you know. Play hard, sweetie...

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-22-2009, 11:42 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

I am hoping with all my heart that it was a tic and my mom put on the frontline that is supposed to kill them with in minutes. We will do anything if it means he can live and be happy. But we aren't going to let him suffer as much as our old dog. My mom kept him alive too long for her, his quality of life suffered and had to be put down a few months ago.

[/CENTER]

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-23-2009, 07:54 AM
Dinky Corsetkisser

I am so sorry, 5 is so young...I hope its something that can be fixed. Puppers has arthritis, first signs for him were around 6 years old, now he falls down sometimes and will just sit if you walk him to far...its so hard seeing the pets we love go through all of this, Pup is on pain meds and arthritis pills, arthritis can be managable with a good if not amazing quality of life...I hope this has a good outcome, I will continue to keep you and Cooper in my thoughts and prayers, keep us updated on how he is...

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-23-2009, 08:26 AM
Super Moderator

I'm sorry, I hope it's something treatable and Cooper feels better soon!

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-23-2009, 08:43 AM
Dinky Gerbilelbow

Aww hun i'm sorry......how is he? xx

*Carla*
I
my animals!
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-23-2009, 07:57 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

I'm so sorry. I hope he gets better! You are both in my heart

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-23-2009, 10:27 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

we are hoping with meds and rest his legs will heal and he will have a good life, i wasn't able to talk to her much today. Just that dad was going to talk to the vet today but she didn't call me back and say how it was

[/CENTER]

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-24-2009, 12:20 AM
I am allergic to maths

Awww, poor cooper, get well soon, big hugs for both of you
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-24-2009, 08:35 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Sorry to hear about Cooper. Best wishes

--------------------
~Marcia

--------------------------

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-24-2009, 04:45 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

Well I went home today. Last night when my mom took our other dog on a walk she left him untied and he walked out to the grove about 200 yards from the house to go to the bathroom and things, and couldn't get back to the house. My dad went out to get him and he growled at him (however he always growls at my dad if it is dark and he isn't sure it is him) So my dad just left him food and water and left him there.

Today I went out there and he tried to get to me but couldn't when I got to him he flopped on his back for a tummy rub and was very excited to see me so I carried him up to the car and we took him to a different vet in a near by town. She sadated him to check him out better and looked at the x-rays.

It turns out he has the worst hips of any dog she has ever seen. She doesn't think it is neurological but with out him walking it was hard for her to do a complete exam. She gave him pain meds for 10 days along with anti inflamitory meds to try. He should be be a lot better with in a day or 2 if he will get better. If not he will have to be put to sleep with in a few days.

He will be on medication for the rest of his life which could be anywhere from weeks to months to years. He will always be slower than before. But he could still be happy.

She isn't sure why it happened over night but she thought that it might have been that he fell down or slipped and it just triggered it. She thinks that he must have been born with bad hips but no one knew as he was always very active.

[/CENTER]

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-24-2009, 05:46 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Is it possible he was hit by a car? Our lab was about a year old and we thought he was dying. He crawled under the shed and wouldn't come out. When he did, my husband took him to be put to sleep as it had been several days with no improvement. The vet asked to do xrays and said, "Dale's not dying, he's very sore". I had to explain to my 2 yr old at the time that Dale was going to Heaven and he couldn't come back. Then when my husband came in with Dale she was like "See he did come back from Heaven!" About two weeks later, a neighbor said he'd hit him-not hard, just enough to roll him into a ditch. He said he came to tell us but nobody was around.

Mandy

Happily owned by:
Baby--female calico kitty
Dale-- male black lab
Coco--male hamster
Rascal--male hamster
Mr. Squeakers--male guinea pig
Phineas--male guinea pig

RIP Patches. You were the sweetest hamster I've ever known. There will never be another like you.

RIP sweet little Bugsy. We didn't know you long, but we loved more than you could have known. Sleep sweet little one.

RIP little Sammy. Thanks for 2 and a half wonderful years! You had a long happy life and we miss you more than you know. Play hard, sweetie...

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-24-2009, 09:41 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

Nope, he has no brakes at all and it happened when he was tied up. He just has realllllly hip joints that he never showed any signs before. Which is so weird. The vet was amazed he could keep up on bike rides, he could chase and catch rabbits, he could do everything. It breaks my heart. I don't want to be an a-hole keeping him alive, but until he has the look in his eye where he wants to give up i will keep him goin. she said that it was a possibility that his knee ligaments were cut some how and we were willing to spend the 2000 on each knee for the surgery but its not that.

[/CENTER]