Cracked Pads (need help) - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-24-2004, 02:39 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Therapist

Cracked Pads (need help)

Do any of you have any ideas what is best to use on cracked pads? Dakota is the worse, he has two good sized cracks that are healed over now on the pads of his rear paws. It is so hard here having only concrete for them to play on all day. We have a very small garden area that we are going to try to expand out eventually, however the courtyard area down stairs is 99% concrete, and with this heat it is finally taking it's toll on the dogs. I have seen a few products online, 8 in 1 Pet Paw Wax and the other one is Tomlyn Protecta-Pad. Have any of you heard of either of these products? Do you know if they are any good? If not, can anybody suggest a product that I can easily purchase online somewhere? I've got to find something, they (more Dakota) can't go through the summer like this, or the rest of the year for that matter... HELP!!! Thx

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MCBA Member

Submit your info today

I Sell Chinchilla Supplies!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-24-2004, 02:51 PM
Angel to Abandoned Puppies

I use bag balm on my dogs feet when they get like that. It helps. I just have to keep them from licking it for a few minutes.

Poor guy. Here's hoping he feels better soon.

MCBA Member

I've Been Frosted
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-24-2004, 02:59 PM
I Think I Need a Bigger Bear

Hey Kim, we used the 8 in 1 Pet Paw Wax on Bach (GSD). It worked pretty good. We had to bandage up Bach's front paws at different timse because he played and ran so hard. I would put ointment on from my vet (different than the Pet Paw Wax) & then bandage him up for a little while. The bandages never lasted long but at least it gave the pads a little time to heal up.

You can also use Bag Balm or Vaseline. We used Bag Balm alot & it works great! I think it works just as good as the Pet Paw Wax. Can you get that there?

Will Dakota allow booties? (heeeheeeheee)

Good luck hon!

~ Jodi ~

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-24-2004, 03:06 PM

I agree - bag balm if you can get it.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-24-2004, 03:14 PM
I Think I Need a Bigger Bear

Heck, I even use bag balm on Toby's feeties!!

~ Jodi ~

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-24-2004, 04:49 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Therapist

I had thought about bag balm, I've used that in the past for many things, but nope can't get that here, however I'm sure while Darren is still in Texas I might be able to talk him to going to look for it, hahaha...... Jodi that's funny about the booties, because Darren asked the same thing today when he called..... He is just a big lug of a dog and runs harder than he realizes I'm keeping an eye on his pads and they seem to be healing okay however I want some type of preventive to stop this from getting worse or happening again in the future. Thanks for the help.....I guess if worse comes to worse Vaseline it is, or I'll order the 8 in 1 pet wax seeing Jodi said it worked

MCBA Member

Submit your info today

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-24-2004, 06:51 PM
Adolescent Pup

dont do anything putting balms and such on his feet will only make this continue on forever if you let it be his pads will toughin up agetr a few times and its will never happen again because the pads will be much much stronger

Shayna and the crew!

gonna miss ya Honey(Sheba) glad you back home.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-25-2004, 04:30 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Therapist

Hmm that's wierd because of my little bit of experience working in a vet clinic, and reading online and going through some of my books here, it says to use the paw wax or something like it, because calaused (spelling) pads aren't good it will only cause further problems. {shrug}

MCBA Member

Submit your info today

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-25-2004, 11:37 AM
Adolescent Pup

tell that to my dogs! lol the ones with the tough feet that we have no need to worry about while everyone else I know is babying their dogs feets and several years later wondering why the heck there dogs pads are even softer then they started and now they have to buy specially made boots, and regularly have to be pulled from compititions because of pads ripping and cracking so often. :p

Shayna and the crew!

gonna miss ya Honey(Sheba) glad you back home.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-25-2004, 11:42 AM
Angel to Abandoned Puppies

I guess that would be good advice if your dogs are actually working dogs. Seeing as how Dakota isn't, i'd tend to his paws.

My dogs are all babied. I'd feel awful if I just left them to suffer with a hurting foot.

MCBA Member

I've Been Frosted
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-25-2004, 12:39 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Therapist

I agree Chrisanne, however I did email my dad who was a K-9 training for 24 years and asked him what they did, and he said back in the days when they really didn't have the supplies they have now, they would use vaseline or an ointment that was prescribed from the vet there, so if my dad used to treat their dogs which were military working dogs then I have to go with what I feel comfortable with, and I don't feel comfortable leaving Dakota in pain so that his pads can toughen up sort of speaking.

MCBA Member

Submit your info today

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-30-2004, 05:39 AM
Suffers From Southern Belle Syndrome

Lightbulb

In Finland Sami and I found a product in the grocery store (on the pet aisle) by BestFriend. It smells awful (like barbecued tar) and looks awful (like brown, gloppy poo) but works WONDERS! I was actually amazed at how well it worked on Kirby's paws. And, out of curiosity, tried it on my own feet. Needles to say, it worked on them, too!

Maybe they sell something similar in a large Italian supermarket or pet store? I'm not sure--this could only be a Nordic company (the label lists address of contact for Norway, Sweden, Finland, and Denmark) but I thought I would tell you about it in case you see something like it.

(Its also packaged in a bright green circular container--can't miss it with its bright red label!)

― Rowan

I've been frosted!

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-30-2004, 10:01 PM
Tiny Grosskisser

Like you said, Tomyln makes a "Protecta Pad."

I haven't heard any feedback on it, so I couldn't tell you if it works well or not.

I do know that they sell it on chinworld for chin's dry feet, so it must not be all that bad.

Karen

[

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-01-2004, 01:01 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Therapist

Thanks for the info Darren came back from the states with 2 cans of the 8 in 1 paw wax, and we are giving that a try

MCBA Member

Submit your info today

Tags
pet store, vet clinic