Crate training, my timing - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-18-2009, 02:04 PM Thread Starter

Crate training, my timing

This is soo hard, i just got two puppies. have created a large crate size little den for them, it's blocked off with doggy gates. i take them out pretty often but my timing couldn't be worse!!! they both mess in their den! I never catch them doing it.. i work at home and they are directly behind where i sit all day. I've read soo many articles about it but still.... any advice??

(the den area is on tile flooring, no bedding in there anymore and i am using cleaner( vinegar baking soda and lemon) to clean up and then some extra baking soda..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-18-2009, 08:25 PM
Part of the Pack

The purpose of crate training is to have an actual crate. It sounds like you've fenced off an area of your house instead of getting a regular crate. If it's not just large enough for them to stand up in, turn around in, and sleep in. it's too big. He'll find a place to poop and pee and think it's ok because it's not his 'living' space.

~Ren~
Our perfect companions never have fewer than four feet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Rags- Blue Healer/Border Collie Mix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Nelix- Yellow Lab Mix

Tippy- Black and White Fancy Rat

Fredi- Tan and White Fancy Rat

RIP- Aggie, Dorito
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-18-2009, 09:01 PM
Hello Earthling

As the above poster said, crate training should be done with a crate. Not a large gated off area.

If the area is large they will not realize it as their ''space'' and will be able to find a place to go. Where as in a smaller space they will want to keep it clean.

Try taking them out very 30 to 60 minutes, for pee and poo breaks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-19-2009, 01:38 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Two dogs are double of fun but double of works too. Maybe taking them our every 1 or 2 hours is enough for puppies can't hold their pee too long with their young bladder.

"Play with me and keep me busy! You have your work, your entertainment, and friends. I only have you! " - Unknown

Visit -
- for fun and tips for pets!