Crate Training ?'s - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-01-2004, 11:27 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Crate Training ?'s

As you all probably know by now when Lady has weaned her pups and comes home for good I will be adopting one of her daugthers with her.

I have a wire kennel here that's just the size for Lady and had planned on getting a second kennel for a second dog (thinking I'd be getting her a "friend." Now that I know it's Lady's daugther who will be the second dog, I'm wondering if it might be better to get a kennel large enough to accommodate both. Both girls are chihuahuas.

Would it be better to get one larger kennel so both dogs could share if they chose to, or should I get another small kennel for the puppy and keep them separate?

What would be a good size if I get a kennel for both?

Also, Lady is paper trained and does very well when confined to a small room by herself, how much of a help do you think she'll be with paper training her puppy once they return here permanently?

~Chalupa, Lady, Moxie, Paiseley & Boozer~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-01-2004, 11:49 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

I think you should get another crate for the puppy. My reasoning is this: Puppies are very energetic and Lady might want a break from her. If you have separate crates they will have their own personal space to relax in. Also, if the puppy has a potty accident in the crate it wouldn't be fair for Lady to have to deal with it.

As far as Lady being a "help" with the paper training.....I honestly don't know about that one. Maybe if Lady goes on the paper and you leave it for the puppy to smell she might figure out that's what she needs to do.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Rhonda

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-01-2004, 11:55 PM
Wacky Chimpnose

scarlette brings up a good point. so many people throw the papers away right after a dog uses it. leave the pee there! poopy i understand, but if it's just pee, try to leave it there for the puppy to smell.

also, in the beginning (when the puppy is still all hyper and, well, puppy-like) i would get her a seperate crate. my two small dogs share a crate but they are both adults and like to sleep together.

sounds like you are on the right track!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-02-2004, 12:11 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Lady has a bad habit of "cleaning up after herself"... so the poops I do need to pick up asap, but the peed on papers I do usually leave. (sorry, gross, i know)

I know the mom usually starts teaching her pups about where to potty around 6-8 weeks and these pups will be staying with her until they are about 10-12 weeks just so they can have the best chance and get very well socialized before going to their new homes. I just wasn't sure if Lady would be likely to continue teaching beyond that. I guess we'll see

I hadn't thought too much about the hyper-puppy stage. They are barely moving around at this point. LOL I was just thinking more about the fact that they'll be so bonded already. Thanks for bringing that up! This is my first puppy since my childhood and I do need to keep in mind that Lady is 6 yrs old and just starting to come around socially, so I'm sure she would enjoy the luxury of her own space!

I work from home so my babies are usually only "alone" at night while I'm sleeping. I never really "crate trained" a dog before and I'm guessing I should confine the puppy to her crate for brief periods even when I'm in the same room with her so she gets used to it, right? I know I'll be setting my alarm for every couple of hours throughout the night for awhile. Should I place their kennels side by side or does it matter much?

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-02-2004, 12:16 AM

I would place the kennels side by side just so the puppy can see and smell her mother for some reassurance and so she doesn't feel isolated.

You might not have to set your alarm at night to get up and let her out. Most dogs don't want to potty in their beds so the puppy might whine when she wakes up and needs to be let out. Mine certainly does!

Rhonda

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-02-2004, 12:25 AM
Suffers From Southern Belle Syndrome

When my uncle's rat terrier had babies and he kept one of them, he got the new baby its own bed and such because Poochie DID NOT want to share her's! Everyone here is right, though. Mama dogs usually want their own private space away from the puppies (especially when the puppies are weaned but still think they can suckle with those sharp little teeth )!

Sometimes the mothers teach the puppy where to potty and sometimes they don't. It also depends on how observant the puppy is. When we had Australian Shepherd puppies, Brandi taught almost every single puppy to potty outside and house training on our part was VERY minimal. However, Poochie's puppies were not so observant and Steven (my uncle) had a hard time teaching those little buggers that all pottying should be done outside.

― Rowan

I've been frosted!

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-02-2004, 01:15 AM
Adolescent Pup

Most of my expertise is relate to Exotic Shorthairs (shorthaired persians), but I think I can handle this one!

As far as sharing a crate goes, DEFINITELY NOT! The confined space and the mother's natural instinct to wean her baby (not just eating wise, but socially) could cause aggresion between the two. Furthermore, you want mommas milk supply to dry up and it won't if baby wants to still nurse. My kitty Flame had to be permanently seperated from our Lucy because we would find Lucy "snacking" on Flame all the way up to 4 months old. This was not a good thing because in my kitties that can lead to infection if the milk is not gradually decreased and eliminated. I'm not sure if this can happen in dogs, but ask your vet to be sure. Furthermore, you want to encourage independence in the puppy and give momma a chance to rest.

As far as the alarm goes, I agree with everyone else about the whining. A puppy will whine when it needs to go. However, if you're a heavy sleeper, you may wake up to a soggy puppy. Once a puppy has too many accidents (for some puppies it's once inside the crate) it can be impossible to fully housebreak after that.

Also, I would not carry the puppy outside when it needs to go potty. Let it walk so that it knows where it is going and how the potty routine is supposed to go. You may get an accident or two, but just be patient, stick the puppy's nose in the pee, tell it no gently, and put it outside where it is supoosed to go potty. If you get upset or use too strong of a tone you will have a puppy that pee pees whenever you discipline it, so be gentile. Also, give treats after every successful potty. The puppy will get the idea that outside pee pee means treat and inside potty means no treat and a yucky sniffer.

Petsmart has a video on crate training that is very helpful, and they also have a take home pamphlet. You may want to look into that and also talk to your vet about his/her feelings on crate training.

Good luck to you!

ps-chihuahas are very sensative to the tone of your voice (i'm sure you already know that) so the more praise you give the better!

>^..^< ~ >^..^< ~ >^..^< ~ >^..^<
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-02-2004, 05:09 AM
Wacky Chimpnose

well, as far as the crates go, i would put them so that the two dogs can see each other. this will be comforting especially to the puppy.

as far as potty training...every dog is different. i would not scold the puppy unless you catch her IN the act. dogs (puppies especially) cannot relate scolding to things that happened even 15 seconds ago. prevention and praise work best. then as time goes on, you can give the puppy a little more freedom and wait longer between bathroom breaks.

remember that just because you are bringing the puppy to a house that already has an older dog (Lady), that doesn't mean that the puppy gets all those priveledges. even if Lady is allowed to roam the house, the puppy still needs to be confined. (remember when deja got Remy? - Remy had her play pen and her other two dogs could roam free). the puppy will need to learn what she needs to do to earn her freedom (kind of like kids).

i can't wait till you get them both home and post a bunch of pics!!! any update on how they are doing??

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-03-2004, 01:26 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Thanks everyone!

We got new weights and pics today (23 days old)
Chalupa - 1 pound 4.5 ounces
Everyone else - 1 pound 5.5 ounces

Here are pics from today

~ puppies ~

~ momma ~ (this pic is older, but it's still my fav, I just fixed it up)
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-03-2004, 02:06 AM
Wacky Chimpnose

aaaaw!!! i just love all those little doggies!!! how is lady doing with parenthood? i bet you can't wait to get both of em home.

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-03-2004, 02:29 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

She's the best mother ever! She very sweet to me when I pick up or hold the puppies, but anytime another dog comes close she snaps at them, then gives me her big brown puppydog eyes like "please forgive me!" LOL She's precious! We had the pups on the floor tonight (first time) to see how they would move around since they are now supporting themselves quite well. Lady kept making her rounds doing head counts but eventually she saw her opportunity and snuck back to her kennel to finish her dinner, alone. LOL She must have trusted her "babysitters"

When she returned she laid on the floor by my foot (I was on the couch). All the pups rushed over to nurse and I reached down and was rubbing Lady's neck. I slowly ran my hand down her side and then she turned more belly up so I gave her a good, slow, gentle rub along her belly as much as I could without disturbing the pups and Lady put her head on my shoe and started falling asleep... a moment I definitely never wanted to end!

The pups have gained almost a full pound since birth. She's doing a fantastic job with them. Keeps them very clean and well fed! We even noticed one puppy checking out the potty papers in the kennel tonight, so they'll be starting to figure out the potty rules soon! If I'm holding a puppy, Lady knows when they are ready to go potty and a couple of times she's grabbed one out of my hands just before there was an accident on me! ... she's a great mom!

It's so hard only seeing them twice a week, but it is good seeing them and I usually get to visit for about 3 hours each time. I'll get to either go with or take them to their next vet visit, so that'll be fun!

It does help that I'm fostering another chi right now for the same rescue. It doesn't replace Lady, but helps fill the void.

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-03-2004, 02:55 PM

Aww!!!! Too cute!

Rhonda

Tags
australian shepherd, crate trained, crate training, older dog, potty train, potty training, rat terrier, vet visit