Crate Training Your Dog - Page 4 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #46 of 71 (permalink) Old 10-07-2010, 08:22 PM

Do you find any dog breeds are easier to crate train, (house break) than others?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 71 (permalink) Old 10-24-2010, 11:02 AM
Newborn Pup

Crate Training worked Great for my great dane when she was a puppy. But when she got older i dont think there is any crate Big enough for a dne. LOL! But i did not crate Train my Doxie or pug. I never had a problem with them. Plus my Dane watched over them like they were her puppies. SOOO Cute.
post #48 of 71 (permalink) Old 10-25-2010, 03:07 PM
Fertile Myrtle

Is there something like this for crate training an older dog?

Wife to an amazing man,
mom to three wonderful kids (9, 5.10, 4),
2 dogs, 3 hermit crabs and 2 bettas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #49 of 71 (permalink) Old 10-30-2010, 11:30 AM
Newborn Pup

try this to quiet a dog that is starting crate training.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kissbox View Post
"how do ya get them to not bark when they are in the crate.?"

i've always recommended a harsh "Quiet!" -when they stop, say something like 'that's better' or a plain 'Good girl/boy' -but in a pleasant tone, not really exciting, or high pitched , just pleasant. if that doesnt seem to work (after you've tried it for a few days and you feel it has no effect whatsoever) you could use a spray bottle after you say 'quiet' if they continue to bark/whine. always praise when they do what you say. i wouldnt recommend the spray bottle for submissive or hand shy types..depending on the dog, the squirt may freak them out so much that they lose the idea of the lesson.

however way you teach your dog(each dog is different, so they learn differently) ALWAYS remember to never let your baby out of the cage while they are barking/whining -this will only give them a positive reaction to their behavior...even if you really were going to take them out anyway, if they start up. you must wait, leave the room, whatever, do what you got to do to make them be quiet before you let them out -you dont want to reinforce the barking -this will only make it harder for you to get them to stop.

*if its a case where the baby is new to the cage and that is why they are throwing a fit, ignore it altogether. because even if you scold him, and walk away, he will see this as attention so he'll keep doing it...and they will throw a tantrum, but its only because its new and they want to be playing, doing what they want to do. it is one of those things where they may resist it in front of you, but you will walk in on them sleeping in it on their own free will..
I just read up on this exact same thing on doggyhigh.com go to the Home then ask Seann Section
post #50 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-01-2010, 11:29 AM

Question crate training help

I was told to crate train by my husban, I didn't want to do it.
It was the best thing i've ever, done.
My friend trained her dog that way. My dog is so well behaved and he can hold it all day with no accidents.
Now i'm training my new little puppy in the crate, she's a pug, but i feel like it's taking her a long long time. After work every
there is accidents ... never fails... she's 4 months old..
post #51 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-02-2010, 11:10 AM
Lovin' my pack!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchorBrockie View Post
I was told to crate train by my husban, I didn't want to do it.
It was the best thing i've ever, done.
My friend trained her dog that way. My dog is so well behaved and he can hold it all day with no accidents.
Now i'm training my new little puppy in the crate, she's a pug, but i feel like it's taking her a long long time. After work every
there is accidents ... never fails... she's 4 months old..
She's a 4 month old pug! That's why she's still having accidents. it will just take longer...just keep being persistant. She'll get it,good luck!

"Not for human consumption"- Peas in a Pod

Visit Peas in a Pod page on Facebook...

post #52 of 71 (permalink) Old 04-10-2011, 05:19 AM
Playful Pup

I bought my dog a specialized made dog crate which is big for three dogs to fit in with still enough room to walk around. It has also a specialize place for potty training.

are like potato chips, you really can't have just one…
post #53 of 71 (permalink) Old 04-10-2011, 06:16 PM
Lovin' my pack!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BichFrisBeefry View Post
I bought my dog a specialized made dog crate which is big for three dogs to fit in with still enough room to walk around. It has also a specialize place for potty training.
I'm not sure i'd like the idea of still being able to soil in the cage, why would you want a special area in the cage to potty in, how is that training your dog to NOT soil where they sleep? I can only forsee those with really small dogs which may never be able to be housebroken to use this as a training device to soil in a certain area of the house.

post #54 of 71 (permalink) Old 04-10-2011, 08:46 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8rchik13ny View Post
I'm not sure i'd like the idea of still being able to soil in the cage, why would you want a special area in the cage to potty in, how is that training your dog to NOT soil where they sleep? I can only forsee those with really small dogs which may never be able to be housebroken to use this as a training device to soil in a certain area of the house.
Yeah, I agree. That takes away the benefit of using the crate as a house-training tool IMO.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #55 of 71 (permalink) Old 04-10-2011, 08:56 PM
Lovin' my pack!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasami View Post
Yeah, I agree. That takes away the benefit of using the crate as a house-training tool IMO.
I'm curious to see what this "crate" looks like

post #56 of 71 (permalink) Old 04-14-2011, 02:39 PM
Playful Pup

Great information. One thing that I would add is to try to place the crate where the dog can look out a window. I put mine in front of a sliding glass door. I have a bird feeder in view. I feel this breaks up monotony.
post #57 of 71 (permalink) Old 04-21-2011, 08:05 PM
Newborn Pup

Excellent post on crate training. We have tried it before and not exactly to these specifications but it does help... Thanks for the info!
post #58 of 71 (permalink) Old 08-14-2011, 03:49 PM
Playful Pup

Thanks Deja!

Last edited by APF Reporter; 08-14-2011 at 05:00 PM.
post #59 of 71 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011, 08:11 AM
Newborn Pup

wow..more informative..
post #60 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 11:42 PM
Playful Pup

This is really great information! Thanks!

“Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.”

Tags
cardboard box, cocker spaniel, crate trained, crate training, potty train, potty trained, puppy food