Crates - Wire Mesh or Airline Style? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 11:44 PM Thread Starter
Mel

Crates - Wire Mesh or Airline Style?

What is your preference? My dane has a (massive) Airline type crate.

Also, do you cover it when its time for your dog to sleep? I used to leave her in a seperate room, so I didn't cover it, but now that her crate is in my bedroom, I've been covering it.

Any opinions? Preferences?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 11:48 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

We have the airline type crates for all the dogs. Sophie isn't crated, though, and hasn't been since she was a puppy. She sleeps in the bed with me and is well behaved and can be left alone all day if we're going out. Rocky, on the other hand, is crated. I have to cover his crate completely with a blanket otherwise he freaks out. He'll actually yelp and bark until you cover it...then he's silent and goes to sleep .

My mom covers Bambi's crate because it helps her sleep but it's not completely necessary.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 11:52 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Gumbo has an airline type crate that he stays in when I'm gone. He sleeps with me. When I'm not there and my room mate is, he'll go in there and lie down or take a toy in and chew happily. I've never tried the wire crates with him, though.

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-16-2006, 10:37 AM
Dinky Corsetkisser

Lady has an airline type crate and we always cover her so that the cat leaves her alone...my cat has found away to let Lady out every night so she can sleep in the crate so we also had to buy one for the cat, we put it next to Lady's and now the cat throws a fit till shes covered to lol...Puppers has a crate but he sleeps with me under the covers so I guess hes covered at night as well

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-16-2006, 12:35 PM

Neither of my dogs use a crate now. When they were little I used the wire type crates. I like them, but if I ever have to travel, Ill have to get an airline crate.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-16-2006, 12:52 PM
Will It Ever Change?

all my life my parents had wire mesh with blankets on the bottom. the dogs understood it was meant to hold them not isolate them. they'd just go to sleep because they were content they could see us, they never barked!

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-16-2006, 01:44 PM

airline style.
the are more secure feeling (id think)
but you could use the wire kinds and throw a blanket over most of it. i have heard dogs like that closed in secure feel. i know Ruckus does.. well oviously because his crate is his favorite place in the world
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-16-2006, 03:55 PM
Salamander Burgermuffin

we use the airline style with allie, we've never felt the need to cover it, but then again shes hardly ever locked in, we dont even have the door on most of the time

My Furry Family
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-16-2006, 09:03 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

I have the wire style. Although when they were puppies I used the airline style. I have a board over the top of the kennels and it's covered with material. I looks like a table. I didn't realize how necessary the cover was until we moved them out of the dining room into their new room. I wasn't going to carry up the board that night but they freaked out barking. When they were covered they did much better. I have the crates back to back so they can see eachother.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-16-2006, 09:33 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

Mirra and Syd have the plastic, airline type. Scarlette has a huge wire crate. She gets nervous if I cover it so we leave her uncovered.

Rhonda

post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-17-2006, 01:55 AM
RAT ADDICT

I use the airline crates with my fosters.I normally don't cover them,but my last foster dog,Silvan, had security issues as she was severaly abused and so the ONLY way she settled in her crate was if I put a towel over it during the night.Otheriwse she freaked out in it.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-17-2006, 02:53 AM Thread Starter
Mel

Hm. Interesting! My little girl Great Dane fits in her airline crate, but I'm afraid if/when I get a male he'll be too big for that one, and that's the biggest airline crate out there. But I'm not too fond of the wire mesh kind - but maybe it'll be okay?
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-17-2006, 03:53 PM
PT's Troll Hunter

I have both.

Kota's is an airline style... She likes it best, as far as I can tell. But its on the small side and I plan on getting a collosal wire crate for our Dane boy. We already have an extra large wire crate, but I plan on making Kota use it when the new puppy arrives. So then he can work his way up to the collosal one. I found one at Anderson's that was WAY huge, and will definately hold a male Great Dane...

Now if we can only find it for less. I'm NOT spending 300, almost 400 bucks on a crate.

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-17-2006, 08:46 PM Thread Starter
Mel

Stella's was $200.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-19-2006, 09:27 AM

we use the air line style and covered it until reggie figured out how to pull the blanket through the little holes and shred it so now we just close the laundry room door so he can't see the cats.

Tags
wire mesh