Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

Cricket did it!!! He finally uses the litterbox!

3K views 24 replies 11 participants last post by  Z Car Barbie 
#1 ·
After a couple months of trying to get my puppy, Cricket, to go to the bathroom in his litter box, I had about given up. He would poop in there, but everytime he went to pee, he would keep his back end out of the box, and when he squatted to pee, that was the end that counted. So it would end up on the floor. So we reduced his normal space so that he had his bed, his dishes, his litterbox, and just a little space to move around in. Of course, he did not have to stay in there all the time, but we were taking him outside to go to the bathroom when he was not in there. It appears to have finally worked! We let him have full run of the kitchen again last night and he went all the way in the box. I just let him out in the main part o the house with his box, and he went pee in the box! :spot: Hurray!

Needless to say, the second he was done peeing and was out of the box, he got lots of kisses and petting. :D

#3 ·
I just went out and bought him some rawhide sticks to celebrate. LOL. I figured since he likes to try to chew up pens, pencils, and chopsticks, the stick-shaped rawhides would be what he would like best. Haha. He took one sniff at the one I gave him, and he started chomping away at it! :) Despite his puppy mistakes, I still think he is the best and cutest puppy alive. Now we just need to work on "down." LOL. He heels beautifully (has since his first walk) and sits very well, but he cannot seem to get the "down" concept...or stay. LOL.

#4 ·
That's awsome!! Congratulations!
BTW What kind of dog is he that you can have him use a litter box? I'm assuming he's a little breed because if my dogs were to have a litter box, it would have to be HUGE! :lol:

#6 ·
congrats!!!! On the down thing does he go down or he just won't put his bum on the ground? If that's the case pull a treat under your legs and get him to follow it. As soon as his bum hits the ground give him the treat. Once he has it down pat under your legs put the word to it and then start backing him out of your legs (don't put the treat through as far)....my dog would back up instead of going down and that's how we got her to learn!

#7 ·
RSbunny said:
congrats!!!! On the down thing does he go down or he just won't put his bum on the ground? If that's the case pull a treat under your legs and get him to follow it. As soon as his bum hits the ground give him the treat. Once he has it down pat under your legs put the word to it and then start backing him out of your legs (don't put the treat through as far)....my dog would back up instead of going down and that's how we got her to learn!
i was always told to gently press on the haunches while saying the word "down." when the dog goes down with the pressure you praise and reward him/her. i like your way a lot better. it isn't forced submssion and probably eliminates the possibility of injury from the applied force. thanks for the awesome trick!

#9 ·
He is an italian greyhound. He will probably be about 16 pounds as an adult and 16" high at the withers (shoulders).

He won't go down using a treat. I want him to lay down, and I lead him with the treat, but he just sits and looks at me. We taught him to sit using a treat above his head, and he got that really well. Now he thinks every time there is a treat he should sit. D'oh! I cannot get him to even put his front legs down, let along his backside. The only way I can even remotely get him to lie down is to make him sit, hold his bum, then pull the treat out in front of him. Then he still tries to raise his bum and sort of slinks along the ground so that his front legs are really all the way down. I think only a dog built like a greyhound could do the manuever he does, I swear! It's like watching a contortionist at work!

No pictures, sadly. We need to buy something to connect the digital camera to the computer so we can upload pictures to it. Plenty of pics stored on the camera, but none on the computer.

#16 ·
Miyabita try the treat being pulled under the legs but let him go about it slowly....so if he bends at all..moves one paw....then treat him...get him used to that and then wait for him to do a bit more. biscuit's primary position is also sit...if she's unsure she sits but we had her going under my legs in fifteen minutes. Being an Italian Greyhound once he learns down he will probably be more comfortable in that position and will do that better than sit!
I just read that he puts his head down to look at the treat...reward him for that....then get him to follow it and stretch his neck a little, then a little more, and a little more until his front legs have to follow etc. If his bum comes off the ground don't give him the treat...it's easiest to teach tem down from a sitting position so keep that bum there! Or alternately if he is bum up and the front of him is down teach him bow and then work on getting his bum down afterwards!! :lol: If you clicker train it will be easy to apply! If not you can still do it, it will just take a little longer.

#17 ·
Well, he does like to lie down on his own. When I first started researching the breed, I thought they would be pretty hyper. You know, a relative of the greyhound, meant to run at high speeds. Well he does...for a few minutes. Then he is begging to be picked up and carried to something soft to lie on. LOL. Seriously, though, thanks for the tips. I'll have to try that.

#18 ·
Don't forget to keep taking him out for walks though. I know this one guy that trained his dog to use the littler pan as well...and it became his excuse to not take the dog out as much..poor thing never got any exercise...:(

Just thought I would mention it! Congrats on your accomplishment though..don't know alot of people that have litter trained dogs.

#19 ·
Cricket gets most of his exercise inside because it gets to -60*F with windchill in the winters here. That is actually the main reason I am litterbox training him; so he does not have to go outside in such bad weather. He has super short thin fur, is very slender (no body weight for extra warmth), and is small (all typical of his breed), so he does not handle cold well at all. Anything below 65*F and he wants his sweater on. I need to buy him a second, slightly larger one to put on over the sweater he has. LOL.

While the weather is nice, we still go out, but neither he nor I will want to be outside once real winter hits! Even now he is shivering a bit with a sweater on until we walk long enough for him to get warmed up a bit. Since he is small and the house is pretty open, he gets plenty of indoor exercise. I make him exercise if he is being particularly lazy. LOL. I get a toy out and chase him around the house until he starts playing, too, then we both get a good work out chasing each other back and forth. :woohoo: I am sure it would be pretty funny to watch.

#20 ·
GREAT work! He sounds like a cuttie pie, what kind is he? Kiss him for me LOL!

#23 ·
Z Car Barbie said:
Miyabita, how has Cricket done since yesterday with his litter box?
Well, it's been off and one, but still better than he was doing. It was about 50% before, and I would say he is getting in the box about 75% to 80% of the time now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.