Dachshund Paralyzation Help, Please? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 02:23 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation Dachshund Paralyzation Help, Please?

Hey there. This morning my best friend "Alice"'s cousin woke up and immediately "Alice's" dog named Nemo jumped off the bed. Her cousin noticed immediately that one of the legs wasn't working. She of course, didn't realize what it actually was and neither did "Alice" because it was only one leg.

At school this morning she tells me about Nemo's issue and I immediately freak out and tell her that if it's not better when we get home that afternoon, then we're taking him to the very immediately.

Well, we got to her house and both of Nemo's back legs weren't working. Period. When he saw us his little tail wagged and for the first time ever, he peed himself. "Alice" silently freaked out and I called her vet.

So we get to the vet and immediately he sees Nemo and takesh im for an X-Ray. He finds one slipped disk and 2 potentials that weren't too obvious because he believed it to be soft tissue.

He gave of anti-inflammatory medicines and sent us on our way with stricted instructions to keep him crated. The doctor said that Nemo might need surgery and that's going to run us at about 2.000 Euro.

So my question is, how big should the crate be if we need to keep him in there for three weeks?

Nemo is six years old and small; he can fit into a cat carrier. But we don't like the idea of him being in something so small for 3-6 weeks.

Also, what about bathroom time? What would you recommend? "Alice's" vet said that we should use a towel to support his backlegs and take him out to pee but only for a few minutes at a time.

I tried this but Nemo just won't go. His bladder is almost completely full and he'll probably need a catheter tomorrow when we take him in after school.

Here's Nemo, when he wasn't hurt:

Pic 017.JPG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 06:02 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

you could ask your vet, but i assume that a cat carrier would be fine, the thing is it is needed so he can't move around, but i believe he should be able to turn around

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 06:22 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

http://www.dodgerslist.com/

go here!

He needs to be in the crate and yes this treatment does work. I know people who have done this successfully. He needs to get massaged to go to the bathroom, but the above link has all the info you will need. If you have more questions I can probably get the email addresses of some dachshund breeders that would know more.

specifically look at:

- http://www.dodgerslist.com/literature/CrateRRP.htm
- http://www.dodgerslist.com/literature.htm

--------------------
~Marcia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

--------------------------

Last edited by marmilla; 01-26-2009 at 06:24 PM.

Tags
dauchshund, paralyzed