Daschunds - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-02-2005, 03:42 AM Thread Starter

Daschunds

Anyone know the ideal weight for a Daschund please.
Mine is way too fat and I was wondering how much he needed to lose.
I will weigh him later and see just how fat he is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-02-2005, 08:52 AM

not sure.. but i would recommend asking your vet
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-02-2005, 12:12 PM
Miss New Booty

I agree with Chrisanne. I have 2 dachshunds and it can be very dangerous for their backs if they are overwieght. Are they minis or standards? A *mini* shouldn't normally weigh more than about 10-12 lbs. Some standards can weigh 20 or so, depending on body structure. They have very delicate backs and being overweight can cause back injuries, etc. If he is overweight, I would again talk to your vet about maybe a lite food. That's the safest route on exactly seeing how much he needs to lose is to consult your vet.

~* Jackie *~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-02-2005, 04:02 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I would check with your vet...because my doxie is a mini, but he's a bit larger then most and so 16 pounds is the normal weight for him.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-03-2005, 02:36 AM Thread Starter

He has only just come to me and I believe he is very overweight I will just go and weigh him.
I do not know if he is normal or mini, how would I tell.
He is on diet food from the vet but he does not seem to be losing anything.
He is 13 kgs
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-03-2005, 05:42 AM
Suffers From Southern Belle Syndrome

*13kg is 28.66lbs

I would say he's probably overweight. Diet food and exercise are really the only two things you can do to get him to lose weight. And, keep in mind that you might not see results until months after the diet regimen started.

My cousin-in-law went through a similar situation with their golden retriever. They went almost a year before seeing any REAL results, but each month she did shed a few pounds and slowly, slowly they started seeing actual differences.

The key to having them lose weight though, again, is type of food given, quantity of food given, and exercise. Consultations with your vet can be helpful as well.

― Rowan

I've been frosted!

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-03-2005, 01:04 PM

Like people, dogs weights are different based on the dog. It is really hard to say what weight is a good weight for a dog. However, like people animals have a normal range of body weight. I searched the web and found this website. It is about Doxies and what the standard is for the breed. I hope it helps you.
http://www.galvansdoggieheavenhouse.com/standard.htm

Let us know how everything goes with your Doxie.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-03-2005, 02:53 PM Thread Starter

Ok looking at the pics of those other daschunds on that web site I would say he was obese for his type.
I never made him like this as I have only just recieved him, making a dog fat is just the same as starving it.
I am gonna try my best with him but he hates exercise especially in this cold.
Do these type of dogs get pad problems in extreme cold because lately when I take him out after a while he starts limping. I had to carry him home the other day and that was hard I tell you.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-03-2005, 03:05 PM Thread Starter

I will get some photos of him from all angles and you can see what I mean
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-04-2005, 11:52 AM

good question...

I dont know if Doxie's have problems with their pads being sensitive. But, I would assume the would have it a little. Doxies especially smooth haired ones, are very sensitive to temperature. My April has to have a jacket when she goes outside in the cold.

I would suggest doing stuff in your home first. Like my doxie loves running around the house after her toys. She loves to fetch, so a lot of times you will find myself and my husband throwing toys or ice cubes to get her to exercise during the cold. Once it warms up, which won't be long, my husband and I will be walking every day after dinner and taking the dog with us.

I would suggest getting weight management food, I think Iams does one for overweight dogs. Plus, I would cut the treats completely, and I would cut out giving your doxie any "table" extras.

I hope it helps.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-04-2005, 07:30 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

He could just be stubborn! Louie runs to the door when he needs to go outside. If I let him outside for a bathroom break when it is raining he will turn back around and run back in as fast as he can go, even if he has to go. Sometimes if it is cold he will do the same. I've had to carry him outside before and close to door behind me.
Louie really hates going on walks. I had to carry him the whole way numerous times! He runs and hides when he hears me getting his lead and harness. :hitself:

--------------------
~Marcia

--------------------------

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-06-2005, 02:20 PM Thread Starter

He is very lazy. He only goes out when he has too but he has never limped before.
But then again this weekend we were walking in tons of snow and coz he was having fun he did not limp once.
He has special diet food from the vets and we never give him food from the table or he throws it up. He sometimes gets hold of the cat meat and he throws that straight back up as well.

Tags
golden retriever