de-barking - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-17-2005, 02:34 PM Thread Starter

de-barking

Alright, I was doing my research and I found a Sheltie rescue in my area, and it said they did not de-bark their dogs. I have never heard of de-barking, and the site didn't explain it. I am very curious about these dogs, and I've decided I'm going to adopt one. I was just wondering if anyone here knew what that means?
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-17-2005, 02:38 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Debarking surgery:

Dogs have a fold of tissue on each side of the larynx which must tighten and vibrate to make a bark. Debarking surgery removes this tissue. After the operation, dogs have only a whispery bark, and most of the time both dogs and owners are quite happy with this. Unfortunately, some or all of the the bark comes back within a few months. Because we know how awful it would be to "debark" a person, many people think the operation is inhumane. Since the surgery is often unsatisfactory and because many people consider it cruel, veterinarians seldom suggest debarking as a solution to barking problems.

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-17-2005, 02:43 PM Thread Starter

Ohh my goodness! That's aweful! Why do it if it comes back in a few months?
But thanks, now I know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-17-2005, 02:51 PM Thread Starter

Another question... on that site there's a Anti-Bark gentle spray collar. How does that work, does it spray the dog what it barks? I'm new at this I've never had a barking problem, and I know Shelties are barkers. I just want to know what I'm getting myself into, and how to fix it.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-18-2005, 04:59 AM

I once read an article where a man bought a doberman as a guard dog and had his voice box removed so it would not scatre away the burglars and the dog could attack them.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-18-2005, 07:16 AM
Wacky Chimpnose

de-barking is sick, isn't it?

the collars - all i know is that when they bark it will emit a citrus spray that the dogs don't like which makes them not want to bark. i would use that as a last, last option, though. you can probably train your sheltie to not bark using a "quiet" command. shelties are really smart!! also, i've heard that teaching your dog to speak on command makes them bark less because they see it as a trick that they do on command.

i don't think you'll have a big problem if you train from an early age.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-18-2005, 08:33 AM
Tarzan Mama of Two

De-barking is illegal in aus...along with de-clawing and tail docking!
The collars work exactly how jane says...but they are a training tool only..the dog will get used to the citronella spray and ignore it so you need to imply the training. It's more of a quick fix to get a dog to stop quick if the neighbours are reporting the dog. In Aus those collars don't come cheap...about $300 and then you need the citronella refills...$100. I had a noisy dog..training was much easier!

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-18-2005, 03:11 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

Scarlette was an awful barker. If the wind blew she would bark! I got her a barking collar that made a quick, high pitched beep if she barked more than twice and her barking over silly things stopped almost overnight. I used the collar for 3 weeks and when I took it off she was fine and isn't a crazy barker anymore! I didn't want to get the spray kind because with my bad luck it would've gotten into her eyes and hurt her. I don't think the beeper collar was cruel or inhumane at all and it made the problem stop.

I am against de-barking and shock collars for barking. I think that is cruel!

Rhonda

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-18-2005, 04:24 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSbunny
De-barking is illegal in aus...along with de-clawing and tail docking!
Thats pretty much the same as over here in the UK although tail docking does still take place although it was supposed to be illegal, its only recently that i have started seeing Boxers with their tails and they look soooooo cute I think its pretty much inhumane to do anything to an animal that you wouldn't do to another human being and also you are stripping them of things they obviously were designed to have as otherwise they wouldn't have been born with them. Theres lots of humane ways to teach a dog not to bark like clicker training etc......

Kirsty

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-18-2005, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethystbelle
Thats pretty much the same as over here in the UK although tail docking does still take place although it was supposed to be illegal, its only recently that i have started seeing Boxers with their tails and they look soooooo cute I think its pretty much inhumane to do anything to an animal that you wouldn't do to another human being and also you are stripping them of things they obviously were designed to have as otherwise they wouldn't have been born with them. Theres lots of humane ways to teach a dog not to bark like clicker training etc......
Totally agree with you Kirsty!

Tags
clicker training