dental care for the puppy - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-31-2009, 02:11 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

dental care for the puppy

Hi,
I need an advice on our puppy. Our border collie accidentally chipped his tooth playing with a rock another day. It is his permanent fang. Most of the tooth is unbroken, but I wonder if I need to take him to the vet and what the vet can do to help.
The puppy is not in pain. He is a little sensitive on this side of his mouth (he was bleeding a little in the beginning, but it stopped and his mouth is not swollen or anything like that).
Any suggestion if I should take him to a vet or can it heal itself?
Thanks,
Ausieowner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-31-2009, 03:09 PM
Adolescent Pup

If he chipped a canine and you can see the inside of the tooth, then yes, I would recommend taking him to the vet... Teeth get infected very easily, and if left exposed and untreated, the infection can spread to his gums...either way, I'd go get him checked out just to be safe.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-02-2009, 11:35 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

thanks Riddick. I will check it out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 12:53 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Hope you immediately take him, some of dog diseases caused by mouth problem. Hope there's nothing serious about him, please keep us updated.

"Play with me and keep me busy! You have your work, your entertainment, and friends. I only have you! " - Unknown

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Visit -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- for fun and tips for pets!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 02:59 PM
Part of the Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddick View Post
If he chipped a canine and you can see the inside of the tooth, then yes, I would recommend taking him to the vet... Teeth get infected very easily, and if left exposed and untreated, the infection can spread to his gums...either way, I'd go get him checked out just to be safe.

It can also lead to chronic ear infections too.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 07:06 PM
Adolescent Pup

Yes take him to the vet, and be very careful what you let him play with! How old is your dog? if he is a very young puppy he probably still has baby teeth so the vet will probably just remove it but you do need to get it checked out. you dont want an abcess to form itll be more stressful for the dog and more money to sort out! good luck xxx

Love Cathy and Holly

RIP Trixie snowdrop and lightning
Forever loved and miss my little chatterbox kids!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 11:56 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Thanks for all advice.
I checked the tooth and I couldn't see the inside of it. It is just chipped a little on the outside. The puppy is not in pain or any discomfort. The cut on his gum healed nicely too. If I notice any change in his behavior, I will take him immediately. For now he is just happy old self.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 12:49 PM
Adolescent Pup

if hes eating perfectly fine then he should be ok. good idea tho take him if he gets worse or changes behavior! also DONT LET HIM PLAY WITH ROCKS

Love Cathy and Holly

RIP Trixie snowdrop and lightning
Forever loved and miss my little chatterbox kids!

Tags
chipped thooth, dental, tooth