Dental Stories! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-08-2014, 12:47 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Dental Stories!

I am curious to read other stories of dog owners who have had problems with their dogs after dental cleaning.

I took my 8 year old mini poodle in for a dental cleaning/extraction about a month ago. My vet had been badgering me for a long time to do this and I was leery as my sister lost her toy poodle at the age of 9 while undergoing a dental cleaning.

I agreed after much thought and specified I wanted that vet to do the cleaning/extractions. I got a call telling my that my Robbie came through fine and had 14 teeth extracted. He was left with 4 teeth. I was also hit with a bill that was much larger than what I had been quoted! I picked up Robbie, he was groggy but seemed okay.

As the days went on I noticed he was walking into things and he was coughing a lot and spitting up thick mucus. I took him back in and they did an x-ray and found he had pneumonia which they said can happen. They put him on antibiotics after 2 weeks I took him back in, he still had pneumonia and I mentioned again about the eyesight. When the vet looked at his eyes she stated that indeed it looked as though he was blind and only had a tiny bit of vision left...that was it! No explanation as to how this could have happened etc. Now 4 days before this visit, Robbie fell of the bed during the night and I swear he was having a seizure, I have mentioned this to the vet and she has "blown me off" every time.

I am going in once again tomorrow he is having an ultrasound as they think his liver is now enlarged and they don't know why! He is still coughing as well and I found out that the vet I had thought did the surgery didn't!!! I am furious and want some answers. I took in a healthy 8 year old boy who is now almost completely blind and coughs all the time and is lethargic.

I have heard a lot of these stories in the past few weeks and I am trying to put together some numbers and statistics. If you have had a problem like this with your dog after a dental cleaning/extraction, I would really appreciate your input.

List your dogs age, weight, and breed
What they had done
Symptoms after surgery or if death occurred.

I think it's time we paid closer attention to this!! I will never I don't care how bad their teeth are, ever have a routine dental done again! I feel so guilty every time I look at my sweet Robbie.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-22-2015, 10:42 PM
Newborn Pup

My vet said to take my dog in once a year. Is that too often?
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 03:30 PM
Adolescent Pup

It depends, ask the doctor to tell you why he prefers yearly checkups

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
you need to keep your pet happy

Tags
cleaning, dental, health, teeth