Desperate Help Needed With Our Dog - Potty Related - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-08-2005, 12:27 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Angry Desperate Help Needed With Our Dog - Potty Related

Ok.. I'm embarrassed to even post this but it is so out of control I need some help.. We've had our dog Buddy for about 2 1/2 years.. We got him from Petland but we actually adopted him from Animal Charity.

When we got him they said he was crate trained which was a lie because he was peeing and pooping in his little area while at Petland..

Anywho.. We tried keeping him in his cage while we were gone and he would go to the bathroom in it. I would come home from lunch with a dog that had pee and poop on him and all over the cage. Almost each day I would have to give him a bath at lunch and wash the cage out.

I don't know how he graduated from being in the cage but we eventually started leaving him out when we left.. He would have an accident every now and then but it wasn't TOO bad.. He never was perfect in that area though.. He would go on streaks w/out going in the house but would always end up blowing it and going..

It got to the point where we were sick of him ruining our carpet with pee stains. We recently (within the past 6 months) decided to lock him in the basement when we went to work..

Since then he thinks the basement is his bathroom. Every single day there is poop and pee down there. I truly think that he thinks it's where he's supposed to go.

We let him out A LOT and A LOT of those times he won't do anything. No matter how long we keep him out he just doesn't do anything (even when we KNOW he has to). He does go outside sometimes.. In the morning when we let him out he goes 80% of the time. But when I come home for lunch there is always a present waiting in the basement.

I let him out at lunch right when I get home and then before I leave to go back to work.. We let him out right when we get home from work and multiple times at night..

What the heck can we do?? Thanks so much!

Romans 10:9
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-08-2005, 02:20 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

http://www.paw-talk.net/forums/showp...60&postcount=3

Try reading that and the articles attached. I'd start ALL over with him if it were me.

Best of luck!

Edit:
The articles no longer work. The site apparently is gone, but I did save the articles. The original author's name is on them, so I uploaded them for you:
http://www.paw-talk.net/POTTY101-1.doc
http://www.paw-talk.net/potty101-2.doc

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-08-2005, 02:30 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

You mention you are "letting him out." Is anyone with him to praise him profusely when he DOES go outside?

Brenda
Caretaker of 2 dobermans,, 1 schnauzer, 5 cats, 3 goats, 1 parrot, 1 bearded dragon lizard, 11 chinchillas.
Rest in peace, Cricket, Casey, Bella, Yank, Chloe and Bones.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-08-2005, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Here and there... We do say "good boy" etc in the screaky voice and then he jolts inside and we give him a treat..

We don't, however, give him a treat the second he is done. We also don't usually take him out on a leash..

I read those articles and they sound good.. What I'm worried about is that I truly think he think's the basement is now his place to go.. I don't know how +R, giving him better treats (good idea), and taking him out on a leash is going to break his thinking that he's also aloud to go downstairs..

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-08-2005, 02:44 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Consistent (every time) praise outside versus no praise in the basement may take care of that, provided you clean it really well to eliminate all scent.

Stephanie

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-08-2005, 02:48 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

You have to think like a dog. Apparently he doesn't know that outside is GOOD and inside is BAD.

If you go out with him everytime he goes to the bathroom and praise him AND verbally correct him when he goes inside, he will learn this. Dogs are not born knowing what carpeting and houses are LOL

Brenda
Caretaker of 2 dobermans,, 1 schnauzer, 5 cats, 3 goats, 1 parrot, 1 bearded dragon lizard, 11 chinchillas.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-08-2005, 02:53 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

The thing is we never see him go downstairs. He does it when were not home. I don't tell him no or anything because I doubt he would have a clue what the heck I'm talking about..

My wife seems to think otherwise and wants to yell at him hours after the fact but we don't agree on that... I love you if you read this honey!

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-08-2005, 02:58 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

No, you are right. You can't yell at them hours after the fact. I know this is hard for some owners to believe, but it is not the dog's fault when they go to the bathroom in the house after the initial housebreaking phase (should be no longer than 6 months). There has to be serious miscommunications going on. Often time, people wait for too long to resolve a longstanding problem. Can you do a search for behaviorists in your area? Maybe if someone came to your house and discussed your problems, you could resolve this sooner. Good luck

Brenda
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-09-2005, 12:41 AM
Wacky Chimpnose

Great advice guys. Just wanted to add:
If you crate him when you are not physically looking at him, he won't sneak anywhere without you knowing. I think he should be crated if you aren't able to keep a serious eye on him (just like a puppy). So if you are busy cooking, for instance, keep him in his crate.
Another thing, is his crate too big? He should only have room to stand up and turn around. Dogs are much less likely to mess a smaller crate because then they have to lie in it.
Also, if you tell your dog "NO!" in a stern and deep voice, he'll know EXACTLY what you mean. Dogs mostly just respond to the sound of your voice anyways. You could yell "CARROT!" with a stern and deep voice and he'd probably stop doing what he's doing.
I'd just treat him like an 8 week old puppy if I were you.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-09-2005, 07:02 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

When we are home there isn't a second he is not right by us..

His crate was too big even when we were trying to do the crate thing. He would mess in it and then just move to the other side. I ended up putting a board in it to make it just big enough. That is when he would go and get it on him...

Not fun to clean up.

Last night went well. We took him out on the leash every time and gave him the treat and praise right when he was finished!

We'll see how many "presents" he's left me when I go home for lunch..

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-09-2005, 07:30 AM
Wacky Chimpnose

I think the reason he's going in his crate is because he wasn't introduced properly. This happened to me. My dog (when I first got her) had speration anxiety and I tried to just put her in a crate one night and she went ALL over herself. Very gross. About 8 months later, I introduced both of my dogs to a entirely different crate the right way. I left it open overnight a few times so they could get used to it. I threw toys in there when playing fetch so they were forced to go in there to get the toy. I put treats in there and, most importantly, I fed them in there. They are fine in there to this day and I only crate them for a few weeks out of the year (traveling).

Try doing this with your dog for a while, then lock him in there for a few minutes and let him out. Give him praise and a treat if he is quiet and good.

You really have to introduce them gently to crating. That's why I would start all over.

You can read the crating "sticky" thread here in the dog section.

Tags
crate trained