dewclaw removal - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-17-2005, 01:45 PM Thread Starter

Hi,
I'm new to pawtalk. I found it while searching for info on dewclaws. I have a dog that I am fostering from Hurricane Katrina. I already have 2 purebred labs, so by looking at the foster dog, I am 99.99% sure she is a purebred chocolate lab. I'm looking for evidence to support that theory. I noticed the other day that she had her dewclaws removed. Is that something that a breeder would do?
I kind of have mixed feelings about how she was cared for. She's less than 1 1/2 years old according to our vet, and she has either been bred in the past or is bred now. The vet says it's too early to determine yet if she is bred. She came up positive for heartworms and we got her treated for that she came back to us on saturday. She is an amazingly calm (esp. for her age) and sweet little labby. I just feel like someone is missing this dog, but why did she have heartworms? Anyway, that just goes back to my original question about the dewclaws... Am I a bad dog mom for my dogs having theirs still? Is the removal only something you really see in purebreds? I appreciate your response.
Jen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-18-2005, 03:28 AM
Wacky Chimpnose

Most of the time the dew-claw (sp?) is removed when a dog will be out in the field/forest and there is a danger of it getting caught on something (as they tend to be floppy and in the way). Most breeders will remove them, even on toy breeds (my Yorkie had hers removed by the breeder). My rescued dog still has hers. This dog was probably from a bad backyard "breeder" that was just using her to have pups (going by the heartworm, etc). How long did you have her after she was homeless? I'm trying to figure out if she could've gotten heartworm after being abandoned.

But don't worry about not having your dogs' dew-claws removed. Most people don't.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-18-2005, 07:20 AM
Adolescent Pup

I am not an expert, so I will leave that to the other members, but I did want to throw in a big THANK YOU for rescuing a doggie abandoned due to Hurricane Katrina. I'm so glad to see these animals being rescued from all fronts. I commend you on that!

Jessica

My zoo: 2 Ferrets named Natira and McCoy and lots of different fishies, snails, and african dwarf froggies.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-18-2005, 06:41 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

Jane (formula86) is right in the reasoning for them being removed...however in Aus I can say it's extremely rare for a dog to have their dew claws removed. It's not a standard procedure and I worked in a vet clinic for a year and we did not remove one dew claw. There is no need for you to have your dogs done if they aren't. I was working in an area where we seen lots of working dogs and they never had the problem with them getting ripped or anything like that.
As far as heartworms go...it's quite easy for a dog to get heartworm, but it's also so easily prevented. It's sad that the original owner didn't bother to keep up the preventatives

Too lazy to even think of a siggy

Tags
chocolate lab, vet clinic