Diabetes - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 02:08 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Diabetes

My dad just called to inform me that his dog has diabetes. He and his wife will have to go back to the vet to learn how to administer the insulin and test his blood sugar levels and the such. I was wondering if anyone out there with a pupper with diabetes might have some encouraging words. My dad sounded absolutely devastated when I talked to him, it nearly broke my heart. Anything I can tell him besides "it'll be alright"?

Cowgirls are like barbwire, handle with care.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 02:26 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Tell him so long as the dog is on a good food(no white potatoes, white potatoes are high on the glycemic index and can result in a sugar spike) a food with sweet potatoes is a MUCH better option), a grain-free food, and a low-carb food(between 5-10% carbs) carbs don't get stored as energy like pet food companies like to lead people to believe, I think carbs stored as energy is limited to just humans, cats and dogs don't work that way.

Orijen is a great food, so is Wysong.

With a grain-free, low-carb, no white potato diet, the dog should handle the diabetes just fine.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 02:26 PM
I am allergic to maths

Im sorry I cant really offer much in the way of advice. Eventually your dad and the dog will get used to it, it will just become a part of life. All I know is that dogs with diabetes drink and urinate more often, and may start to urinate indoors so tell him to keep an eye out for that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-30-2010, 06:00 AM
Playful Pup

Funny, I was about to post a similar question.

It's a long and expensive road, but what are you gonna do?

My australian cattle dog has been diagnosed for about 2 years now. The vet had him on Hill's W/D dog food (which is full of corn and HORRIBLE). I pulled him off of that and put him on Wellness core. It's a bit expensive, but well worth it. From being on this food, his insulin levels have stabilized and he began losing weight.

Sawyer will be 6 years old this may and upon diagnosis, he weighed 67 pounds. He was a little chunky, but had been on Beneful Healthy Weight Formula all his life (he's an inside dog). I personally believe that the high sugar content in this food is what led to his condition. He has since dropped 12 pounds and I feel like I got my dog back. He's very energetic and playful.

My dog is on 12 units of Vetsulin twice a day. I feed him right before each shot. We have had absolutely zero complications, except for owner error. (If we miss a dosage, there's usually an accident in the house)

I will say this, my vet was amazed at the difference in him after I put him on Wellness Core. There are many other foods out there that are similar and very good. I had decided to go grain free and liked the ingredients in it.

This site is a great one to look into food content.

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com

http://www.dogfoodproject.com/