Diesel ate chocolate. - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-09-2008, 01:34 PM Thread Starter

Diesel ate chocolate.

Diesel, my maltipoo ate chocolate. 2 pieces and didn't get sick. i'm worried.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-09-2008, 03:14 PM
Leo

CALL THE VET!!! Symptoms can sometimes not show up until it is too late.

My dog Ed ate a whole box of valentines chocolate when he was 1... we rushed him to the vet and he still ended up with permanent stomach/intestinal damage. Our vet did everything he could for Ed, but he still had damage and ever since then he had issues with eating food (he threw up every time after he ate).

PLEASE CALL YOUR VET and have him seen!!
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-09-2008, 04:12 PM

I agree with Leo.
Chocolate shouldn't be given to dogs,so be careful with it around the house.

As a vegan,I cook (or non cook) with carob.It's safe for doggy consumption.I make my own doggie treats...in which I can consume too
It's to die for.But the dogs won't *literally* die.

Please see your vet!
Quote:
Chocolate: Dogs love the flavour of chocolate. But as the Oreos ad indicates, ‘Mums says chocolate isn’t good for dogs’! In sufficient doses, chocolate can actually be lethally toxic to dogs. It contains a chemical stimulant called theobromine, which dogs are unable to metabolize effectively. So, if dogs eat chocolate, the theobromine can remain in their bloodstreams for up to 20 hours. During this time, dogs may experience fast heart rate, hallucinations, severe diarrhoea, epileptic seizures, heart attacks, internal bleeding and eventually death. Even just a candy bar can be enough to make a small dog extremely ill or even kill it. Large breeds are less susceptible to chocolate poisoning but still are far less tolerant of the substance than humans are.
Got it from 'ere! ->http://www.malcolmturnbull.com.au/Pa...le.aspx?ID=347
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-09-2008, 06:10 PM
Salamander Burgermuffin

hows your pup doin? have you taken him to a vet yet?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Furry Family
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-09-2008, 07:46 PM Thread Starter

Interestingly enough, he didn't get sick. Never even missed a beat. i found that weird. My niece gave him an oatmeal raisin cookie not too long ago and i thought he would die.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-10-2008, 08:19 AM

did you take him to the vet or is he ok? i was so nervous for you! p.s. do you know what carob is, is it like chocolate thats safe for dogs or something else? is it easy to get?
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-10-2008, 10:35 AM

How big were the pieces?Dark or milk?Dark chocolate is not as toxic...Sometimes you luck out and the just get the trots or throw up alot.
Our dogs and cats both get into the chocolates chip bags all the time we have not had any problems...call vet see what they say.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-10-2008, 10:41 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

i think its all a matter of size of dog to size of chocolate, 2 small pieces may not hurt him, where as a box would or a lot of cake or a bag of chips....

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-10-2008, 06:47 PM
Adolescent Pup

BAKERS chocolate and semi sweet chocolate is toxic because it has the highest levels of theobromine in it, not milk chocolate (hershey bar) it's just bad for dogs and can make them sick when eaten in large amounts, but not deadly...
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-10-2008, 06:58 PM Thread Starter

i believe it was milk chocolate with peanut butter. i didn't take him to the vet because he didn't have a reaction. i have a candy bowl on my coffee table and it's had chocolate in there for almost 6 months now. He never touched then before so i don't know what made him want to try it now. Needless to say i have emptied the bowl. Oh and yes cookiemonster, i cook with carob. i didn't know it was safe for dogs tho.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-11-2008, 02:22 AM
Dinky Corsetkisser

I had a dog named Petrie, she was simply the best, but every holiday that sneaky little monkey would still our candy (christmas, halloween, valentines, easter lol all of them) I was a kid, but my mom tried so hard to hide them, after every time we rushed her to the vets, she never had a reaction and was fine, but then my papas dog ate a small chocolate bar and got very sick...I have no idea why Petrie never got sick, cause papas dog suffered life long effects where as my poodle lived 19 years, happy and healthy...

I am glad your dog is ok...we try not to buy any candy and if we do we refridgerate it now lol 4 dogs keep me busy lol

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-11-2008, 08:53 AM
Super Moderator

I'm glad Diesel is ok

My parents dog Naomi has gotten small amounts of chocolate before, but never had any reactions, luckily!

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-11-2008, 03:02 PM
Adolescent Pup

I'm glad he is ok. I know how you feel. I had some candy on my buffet that was fine then one day one of my dogs ate some of the Hershey hisses and a peppermint patty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hetty View Post
How big were the pieces?Dark or milk?Dark chocolate is not as toxic...Sometimes you luck out and the just get the trots or throw up alot.
Our dogs and cats both get into the chocolates chip bags all the time we have not had any problems...call vet see what they say.
The darker the chocolate the worse it is. White chocolate is the less harmful. Dark chocolate contains more theobromine then milk chocolate this making it more toxic. Milk chocolate has milk and sugar added (it is the sweet chocolate most often bought) and contains the least amount of cocoa. Bakers chocolate, bittersweet and semi sweet are more toxic.

Check Them Out

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-13-2008, 05:40 PM

Correction:I am sorry I meant that the dark is toxic sorry that is what I get for typing with the cats tail moving across the screen...I cant have chocolate either so me and the dogs are in the same boat dark chocolate is the worst on me as well...
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-14-2008, 12:42 AM

Theres a lot of things in this world that won't kill you the first shot necessarily (think of our bad habits...smoking,drugs,alcohol,fast food,GMO,etc) doesn't mean its an ok thing (i have my vices) but please don't chance it with pets.My dogs have accidentally without my knowing it at first tore apart christmas stockings to get at the chocolatey treats...they did not die.But if I see someone trying to give my pets something not for their consumption...i'll be telling them about it.Please be careful with goodies not for doggie consumption

A tidbit on carob -> http://www.living-foods.com/articles/rawcarob.html
(im a big fan of it& that site)

Tags
dog