Diesel's 1st wk *pic* & questions - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-20-2004, 11:58 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Diesel's 1st wk *pic* & questions

I've had Diesel for a week now. He's fairly calmed down a bit when I'm not there. After about like 15 mins of barking and whining, he would stop. but he's developed some BAD habits.

-he is SUPER hyper sometimes when I let him out. he would try to stand up and jump at things.
-he would also start biting at things. shoes, cardboard, paper, etc.
he would look sooo mean when I say 'NO' and 'off' when I try to yank it off his mouth.
-he would jump at my futon even after i say no repeatedly.
-he doesn't seem to respond to my 'no' or 'off' commands even when i say it firmly.
-he usually does his 'business' on the newspaper but sometimes he misses

He hasnt' gotten all his shots yet so I can't walk him outside.
btw, he's going to be 11 wks old tomorrow. he's been with us for a week. Anyone have tips for me for biting and jumping on furnitures please help. Like I said, I tell him 'NO' when he does it and right after, he does it again. I tried to redirect him to his toys but he seems to be more interested in doing what he's doing more. Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg diesel_9_16_small.JPG (16.1 KB, 25 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-20-2004, 12:10 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kchan156
I've had Diesel for a week now. He's fairly calmed down a bit when I'm not there. After about like 15 mins of barking and whining, he would stop. but he's developed some BAD habits.

-he is SUPER hyper sometimes when I let him out. he would try to stand up and jump at things.
-he would also start biting at things. shoes, cardboard, paper, etc.
he would look sooo mean when I say 'NO' and 'off' when I try to yank it off his mouth.
-he would jump at my futon even after i say no repeatedly.
-he doesn't seem to respond to my 'no' or 'off' commands even when i say it firmly.
-he usually does his 'business' on the newspaper but sometimes he misses

First things first, he's ADORABLE! Here are some articles that may help. http://www.perfectpaws.com/pup17.html

Second, you have to keep in mind that he's a puppy. He's going to have all this energy stored up and go through what's been dubbed the 'puppy zooms' - it's perfectly normal. Enjoy this energy and play with him using an allowed toy or area.

At 11 weeks old, remember that he's teething and those teeth HURT. It's his instinct to chew and try to relieve that. For now, put what he can't have up and give him plenty of okay things to chew on. If he gets something he shouldn't have, firmly tell him no, remove it, and immediately replace it with an OK chew item. He has no concept of what's his and what isn't right now - you have to teach him that. Ignore the sad eyes, too.

Puppies and dogs want to PLEASE. They want to be with you, which is why he's jumping on the futon. You have to establish limits. For instance, it's ok for my 14 week old to be up on our couch, but sometimes there's something going on. If he's jumping up and can't be up there at that particular point, I'll redirect him and give him a special toy (flavored edible nylabone) and ignore the jumping/whining. A few firm NOs is all you should really use - after that, ignore the action and he'll get the message. No attention often works better than negative attention.

Doing his business on the newspaper most of the time in a new environment is impressive at 11 weeks old. Missing goes with having a pup. Just keep praising, praising, praising when he does go on the paper and put him in another room when you clean up those misses. If he sees you cleaning it up, he's getting the message that it's an okay behavior. Scolding him won't be effective and there isn't really anything you can do unless you catch him in the act. If you do, pick him up and put him on the paper, repeating a 'potty' command if you plan to use one.

Just keep in mind he's still learning. He loves you and wants to please you, but he's a puppy. Patience is the key with a puppy.

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-20-2004, 05:02 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Red face Re Pics Of Diesel

CUTE PICS OF YOUR PUPPY DIESEL, HE IS ADORABLE.. YOU MUST POST MORE OF THEM ON HERE..

Steph ~ Owned by 4 bunnies and 5 degus..

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble
attribute of man." Charles Darwin

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-20-2004, 11:42 PM
Wacky Chimpnose

i love that little puppy!! so cute! btw - he's doing tons better than my yorkie ever did at that age. so keep up the good work!

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-21-2004, 05:12 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Diesel is really cute and i like that name!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-21-2004, 10:11 AM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

Yep, ditto to what Jade said!

My puppy is almost 5 months old and she is still biting. I called a trainer almost 2 months ago and he told me to "scruff" her when she bites, meaning to grab her by the back of her neck, get her full attention and tell her NO! (well, since my pup is deaf, I have to look mean and shake my head NO with authority! ) My pup is getting better and still bites sometimes, but it's more like a pinch now. I scruff her, tell her NO and then redirect her attention to a toy. It takes time but they will learn.

He is still a puppy and will by hyper for awhile. When you come home and let him out of his crate he's probably really excited and happy to see you and jumping on you is his way of showing it. Just tell him no, push him down and then lean down to pet him. Show him he doesn't have to jump on you to get attention.

I don't understand why you don't take him outside because he doesn't have his shots. Are there alot of dogs in your area and you're afraid he might catch a disease? Has he had any shots at all? I don't think taking him outside for a potty break is risky at all. I take my pup to alot of places, around alot of people to make sure she's getting enough socialization and she won't get her last set of shots for 3 more weeks.

He's a cutie and I love his name! Good luck with him.

Rhonda

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-21-2004, 11:00 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Water bottle worked for me.... A quick squirt got his attention and caused him to become more interested in where the water came from than the thing he wasn't supposed to be touching.

Repeatedly saying NO or OFF can cause dogs (just like kids) to obtain selective hearing and learn how to ignore those words/tones.... It may be time to try a new one.... I use "Leave it" fwiw because everyone else in the family used "No" so much even I became tone deaf lol. "Leave it" is working for us now

Scruffing doesn't work for me..and that's possibly because my pup is a rottweiler and if I get "rough" he can get "rough" back...he's too stuborn to bow down..but if I let out a squirt of water w/o him seeing the bottle he gets confused and nervous lol

- Deb

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-23-2004, 11:24 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

I just tried a spray bottle last night and it doesn't work. He will find something to chew on and won't let go. I would yell LOUDLY 'no' and he would get more aggressive. Sometimes redirect him to another toy works. I'm not leaving stuff around but he would stand up on and lean on a chair or something to elevate himself to grab that shirt or towel. Yelling NO and water bottle doesn't work. He doesn't respond to his name well at all. What works is when I'm walking away. He would then folllow me.

He would also bark and go crazy when I leave him by himself still.

Anyone got anymore suggestions.
btw. my vet told me not to take him to any public place before he's fully vaccinated.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-23-2004, 10:17 PM
I'll name him Squishy!!

I just got my puppy last sunday and I know she is teething and likes to bite a lot!! and not really just anything...mostly me or whoever else is out there....shoes, pants, my hands whatever she can get hold of....everytime she does i tell her NO or STOP IT and give her a toy which she will play with for a couple minutes then go right back to biting me and her teeth hurt....im not sure what to do to get her to quit that....i am taking her to the vet in the morning so hopefully he can help...and ill have to get a quirt bottle and try that too...but if you have any other suggests please let me know...she was soo sweet the first day or when she's tired or in the car she will be sweet ...but she sleeps when im at school and i come home and she goes crazy biting me...

I've been frosted!

Interested in Photography or Art? Want to show off your pictures or artwork? Please join the

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-23-2004, 10:38 PM
Fluffy Potatokisser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gecko
I just got my puppy last sunday and I know she is teething and likes to bite a lot!! and not really just anything...mostly me or whoever else is out there....shoes, pants, my hands whatever she can get hold of....everytime she does i tell her NO or STOP IT and give her a toy which she will play with for a couple minutes then go right back to biting me and her teeth hurt....im not sure what to do to get her to quit that....i am taking her to the vet in the morning so hopefully he can help...and ill have to get a quirt bottle and try that too...but if you have any other suggests please let me know...she was soo sweet the first day or when she's tired or in the car she will be sweet ...but she sleeps when im at school and i come home and she goes crazy biting me...
Play biting! It's what she did with her littermates, plus it feels good on those teething little gums. She doesn't understand yet that it hurts us much more than it hurts them

Chin Mom to Lila, Skye, Ty, Rolex, Calypso, Lizzie, Jax, Sam, Sage, Lorenzo, Spitfire, Holly, Dylan, Leia, Punky, Kylie, Skylar, Jetta, Oreo, Emma, Forest, Georgie, Alexis, Picador and all the kits!
Pittie Mom to Kali and Orion
Rattie Mom to Drake and Dumbo
Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Plain ole Mom to Zach, Brandon and Connor!
Come visit us at
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-23-2004, 11:26 PM
I'll name him Squishy!!

yeah i know its just playing...and because she is teething....but when i try to get her to stop she thinks i am playing...but i cant just let her do it....for one it hurts and because she has to learn she is not allowed to bite people

I've been frosted!

Interested in Photography or Art? Want to show off your pictures or artwork? Please join the

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-23-2004, 11:45 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

For sore teeth and gums I used frozen towels and offered several ice cubes..it worked wonders for us....

Frozen Towel Recipe

Soak a towel and then wind it up tight like you're going to smack someone's behind with it... (size of towel greatly depends on size of dog lol)
Set it in a plastic container and stick it in the freezer...
Once frozen, pull it out and give it the pup as a chew toy

It will feel soooooooooo good on their gums and really help to soothe the pain...

My dogs also LOVE ICE CUBES which also helps pup deal with chewing and again cools down those sore gums...

Some toys can also be frozen or chilled....

Cold things will really help to soothe those extremely sore gums and which helps deter their need to chew on everything during the process.... try to make the freezer your treat and toy cupboard for a bit...it may help

- Deb

Tags
chew toy