Diet and Exercise - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-13-2009, 02:04 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Diet and Exercise

What do you feed? What type, and length of exercise do you guys do for your dogs? Do you keep reccords?

I feed my OBB Merricks Before Grain dry dog food, in the chicken and buffallo flavours. I was kind of disapointed when there wasnt really much actual buffalo in the kibble, as I hear it is super good meat for dogs in general. I am drawn to the fact that they dont contain grains. I went to the local big chain pet store, and asked for a dog food that didnt have any by products or fillers like corn in the first 4 ingredients, and out of 40 different products, they had nothing. Went to the smaller chain pet store, and I found B.G. I know that Merricks has had a recall, but I think that this food is super so far.

As for exercise, We go for an hour and a half walk. And its not a normal walk. It's walk/jog across really rough terrain up and down steep hills over logs ect... Then we come home and later on he runs an hour and a half on the treadmill at 4.3 mph, its the perfect pace for a fast trot. In all of this exercise, he dosnt even start to pant!

I usually add on weights for a half hour interval and slow the speed on the treadmill, to make him work a bit more, and lately I've had him working on the spring pole to strengthen his jaw,neck and back. We're also training for weight pulling.

Plus he goes for lesierly walks to pick up the kids from school, and my little 9 year old brother walks him around the block often.

I reccord all of his exercise and food consumed daily in a little book, so I can track progress. I also frequently weigh, and measure his height, and girth of his legs and neck. It's fun to watch your dog develop!!!

- Mel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-13-2009, 03:55 PM
Hello Earthling

My dogs (sheltie and yorkipoo) eat dry food. I can never remember the name of it, all I remember is the package.

We go to the park and play in the backyard and run in the basement and I am training them to use the treadmill. Theirs a video is Kibbles using it somewhere here.

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-13-2009, 04:36 PM
Newborn Pup

Hello! Over achiever!

Merrick is great dog food. If you feel like switching I'm sure you must be buying Merrick at a place that sells other great foods, but Merrick is awesome. I'm a dog over achiever too and I feed my dog Merrick Turducken.

Your dog is getting plenty of exercise with that regimen.

Is you dog overweight or are you just being extra cautious. For an adult dog, you can feed dry food twice a day for 15 minutes and you dog should get just the right amount of food. If your dog is overweight or if you have other circumstances that warrant it, then go ahead and measure.

Matt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-13-2009, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Nah I just measure and exercise my dog for the benifit. There is nothing more I like then seeing a well fed and muscled dog. My dog has been on the skinny side since he was born, but nothing is wrong with him. I feed him how ever much he wants to eat, but I make sure I record how much it is. some days its less, somedays its more.

Lots of people have came up to me and told me that my dog reminds them of a UFC fighter, lanky, yet very well musceled. I compare his body build to a well muscled thoroughbred race horse, but thats because I was a horse person first.

I'm actually looking at a new food called Orijen.... Its like B.G but slighlty cheaper, as B.G has now been upping it's price every so often now, but just as good, if not better. And it's made canadian! I bought one bag today, and Im going to switch him over just to see if I notice any difference. The crude protein level is 42% rather than 31% in B.G and other differences and just all around seems like it might just be better for such an active dog like mine.

- Mel
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-14-2009, 01:13 AM
Adolescent Pup

I have several dogs so things vary from dog to dog. In general I am pretty anal about records. Recording what they eat, how much, their exercise and weight.

I’m with you on the BG Buffalo (and Salmon too), while there is a little of those meats I consider it a rip off. Because it is mostly chicken. I will only use the chicken formula. Its also crappy that dogs with chicken allergies, it would have been better to make buffalo and salmon exclusive of chicken so that they’d get customers with dogs who have chicken allergy. It also doesn't matter grain or grain free kibble for me. Grain free still can have lots of carbs, starch and contain potatoes almost always. Potatoes are not really better (or worse) then say rice or oatmeal for a lot of dogs. When I want truly high meat or all meat I go with raw. Kibble always needs something as a thickening agent and to bake properly, so you really can't get away from stuff like rice, pea starch, oatmeal, sweet potato.

What I feed varies from dog to dog, I also rotate the kibbles I use.

Some are on raw, prey model diet. It is what I like best and wish I could really do for everyone but that is just too time consuming and I don’t really have enough storage space. Anyway they eat whole animals in their entirety, small animals. Larger animals might have to be cut into more appropriate pieces. As some are really gluttons, just as some dogs might force down half a bag of kibble some would eat a whole larger kid if you let them. The rest of what they get are various meat cuts or grinds (some with bone), like beef, bison, chicken, turkey, some fish, venison, lots of stuff really. Including organs and all that good stuff.

Others are on kibble.

Fosters, strays, temporary dogs eat cheap foods there are a few different choices so I just go with what I can get at the time. They do ok on it and I wonder if I’m really putting “too much” into feeding my other dogs “good” food.

Some are eating PureVita Duck & Oatmeal currently after their bag of Fromm 4Star Whitefish & Potato ran out. I’m not sure what I will give them next, I rotate the foods when one bag is gone. I think I might go with another Fromm variety.

Some are eating Fromm Puppy Gold it contains chicken, duck and a little less of some other meat. I really like the kcals (430 per cup) and protein/fat (27/18) levels for some of my dogs. The ones who are eating the above mentioned kibble are less active dogs or just don’t require as much intake, while the Puppy Gold works well for more active ones or those that require more.

Some are eating Evo (the poultry based large bites) or having Evo as their evening meal. I also like the levels on this food (537 kcals per cup, 42/22), helps them maintain weight, also eat less of it to keep the weight.

Some are eating Nutrisource Super Performance which again like the levels as most of mine need more to sustain muscle mass and maintain weight. It is 480, 32/21. I also like that they put better ingredients into their foods with positive changes and plan even more in the future.

I also used Precise Canine Foundation for a couple months but I don’t know that I will go for it again.
Some other foods I’ve use in my rotation include Wellness, Wellness Core, Merrick products, Fromm Surf N Turf and other Fromm varieties, Evo Red Meat, ok I really can’t think of what else my brain is not helping me…lol

For canned food Wellness 95% meat, Merrick Gourmet & Before Grain, Evo 95% meat sometimes others but I really like these.
Exercise varies depending on which dog, the weather, their age, energy level, season (on or off, off can be break time for some), what they enjoy. I can give some examples of some though.

1hr running by bike-30 minutes flirtpole-slower paced walk/training session-running around and playing with other dogs
20 minutes flirtpole-3 mile walk drag weight-weight pull (time and weight varies)

15-20 minutes flirtpole-45 minutes springpole-short brisk paced walk or jog

15-20 minutes flirtpole - 30-45minutes running by bike – short training session with active play

30 minutes flirtpole-short training session with play incorporated like chasing a toy, jumping up for toy with OB thrown in the mix-running around chasing and playing with others

30 minutes running-45 minutes springpole-2 mile drag weight-15 minutes flirtpole-then 4 miles walk/job in the evening

Others don’t do much at all. Just walks sometimes and chasing their toys or using the springpole sometimes or maybe flirtpole. Some are high energy though and are happier with the exercise. It isn't really a matter of body condition as some are worked but don't look great and others do almost nothing and are lean and ripped. I've also one who doesn’t do much of anything, she likes to go for walks to get out explore and smell but exercise no way. She wasn’t built for that.

Mine also don’t mind running treadmill either. Some also like swimming too or just chasing the water squirting out of the hose like a maniac.

Another thing if I’m up to it is running along side bike on the property, which makes them work harder then on even ground. Heck it makes me work harder going over bumps, hilly spots, ect. Nothing like an off pavement bike ride for some fun.
Some days we do more, some days we do less. Sometimes I switch things around for them so they will get something new to do. Different days I can also work with different dogs to give a rest day as well to others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Check Them Out

Last edited by Spicy_Bulldog; 02-14-2009 at 01:17 AM.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-14-2009, 01:56 AM
Adolescent Pup

Oops here are some pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by kody View Post
For an adult dog, you can feed dry food twice a day for 15 minutes and you dog should get just the right amount of food. If your dog is overweight or if you have other circumstances that warrant it, then go ahead and measure.
Huh? Feed a dog for 15 minutes twice a day. I've never heard of this, but wow a dog can eat a lot of kibble in 30 minutes. Unless I misunderstand. My dog can eat their meal in a couple minutes or sometimes less. One time I turned my back just for 2-3 minutes maybe and my dog had eaten a "ton". There was a small bucket with kibble for my in laws dogs as we were sitting for them. Man she was huge, threw up, the runs, lots of gas all that good stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spunkerella View Post
I'm actually looking at a new food called Orijen.... Its like B.G but slighlty cheaper, as B.G has now been upping it's price every so often now, but just as good, if not better. And it's made canadian! I bought one bag today, and Im going to switch him over just to see if I notice any difference. The crude protein level is 42% rather than 31% in B.G and other differences and just all around seems like it might just be better for such an active dog like mine.
Must be because you are in Canada. Lucky you. Here Orijen is extremely expensive, a lot more expensive then Before Grain at most stores. It is between $60-75USD a bag for under a 30lbs bag, like 13 and something kg bag.

Check Them Out

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-14-2009, 05:23 AM
Betta Bomb

I just have a companion dog. none of that hard training or work to shape him up,he was always squishy but not fat.
Food he's on now is some sort of brand called Natural's or something for seniors.Since he likes it soft i add water,milk or a little bit of wet food.His exercise is a walk a day and in the warmer months we run and explore fields and tree terrain around parks.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-15-2009, 01:19 PM
Newborn Pup

You seem like an awesome involved dog owner. I wish more dog parents were like you. Your dogs are well taken care of and you're involved and get them plenty of exercise. Your dogs mostly love life.

Having said that, I'm going to express some concern. Seeing these pictures I think your dogs are under weight. You're doing so much good, so don't get me wrong, but the reason they scarf down their food in 2 minutes is that they are really really hungry. It's also not good for dogs to eat so fast.

Dogs that win dog shows don't look like that. So why would you choose to take a dog below the dog show weight? It's not healthier for the dog to do that.

I'm just saying your preference for how your dogs look is making them hungry all the time for no good health reason. Is it worth it? Especially given the dogs don't have a choice. If they did, they would eat more.

Matt

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-15-2009, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

I think her dogs look good. THey look like atheletes.
When I see APBT and similar breeds like that, imo they're supposed to look like that. Tucked up in the waste, slighlty able to notice the ribs, you can see all the muscle, and especially in the back, it looks like you could pour water on the backs and it would sit on the spine, cupped between the muscles.

At least that's how I see it. I compare a dog similar to as how I would compare a fine horse. Lean, yet a sense of power when looking at the dogs. And that is the effect I get when I look at her dogs pictures. Raw power.

That being said, I wouldnt compare a stocky Quarter Horse the same way I would compare a fine Thorougbred. It is different between dog breeds aswell. Just as I wouldnt compare an APBT to a Lab the same way.

- Mel
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-16-2009, 12:41 AM
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by kody View Post
You seem like an awesome involved dog owner. I wish more dog parents were like you. Your dogs are well taken care of and you're involved and get them plenty of exercise. Your dogs mostly love life.
Thanks! That is nice of you to say. Yeah they love life a lot, especially the APBTs, they have such a zest for life.
Quote:
Having said that, I'm going to express some concern. Seeing these pictures I think your dogs are under weight.
Thanks for the concern but its not at all warranted. You might think they are underweight but they are not.
Quote:
You're doing so much good, so don't get me wrong, but the reason they scarf down their food in 2 minutes is that they are really really hungry. It's also not good for dogs to eat so fast.
Um no the reason they eat in about 2 minutes has nothing to do with being really hungry…lol You’ve never met my to know. It isn’t a matter of eating too fast, I can take video so you can see how non fast they eat. I’ve had a few that ate too fast and worked on ways to stop it. This theory does not even hold water because it wouldn’t explain why obese dogs eat too fast, which I’ve seen firsthand. Choking and gagging on their food, sometimes throwing up afterward, IMO too fast yet they are what any vet or weight chart would call obese. Why would fat over fed dogs that eat several times a day be really hungry? My friend has 5 dogs alone like this. APBTs are usually “always hungry” or willing to eat anytime you offer them food, whether they are lean or fat.
One male I got as an adult, when he came here he was actually overweight and I’m talking compared to ideal/pet weight recommended by a vet. He had no waste line, fat on his sides and some under his chest some around his neck. I was warned that he is “always hungry” and would eat a whole bag of kibble if you let him along with other info from his previous owner. It took time and training to help get him over feed me, feed me, food obsession and eating to fast. Rushing the food bowl while you’re still trying to pour food in, eating too fast and choking (sometimes gagging it back into the bowl), always looking for food, always tapping your hands with his nose/licking your fingers to see if there is food. This was a very fat dog! Now he is closer to a gentleman, sits and waits for his food, doesn’t have to scavenge all the time sniffing the floor and looking everywhere, doesn’t go getting your fingers wet with saliva or nose, nor push you around for food whether it be dog food or people food that I’m messing with. Yet he is now a lean and muscular dog.
It doesn’t take them 15 minutes to eat properly. A dog that takes 15 minutes to eat either eats extremely slow or is eating entirely too much. My CO eats slow, typical of that breed from what I’ve seen. I’m guessing it would take her maybe around 5 minutes to eat a chicken quarter. When eating quarters it should be around 2 large ones a day. So by the theory of 15 minutes twice a day that’d be a major 6 quarters.

Quote:
Dogs that win dog shows don't look like that. So why would you choose to take a dog below the dog show weight? It's not healthier for the dog to do that.
LMAO Weird how they get Best in Shows/Best In Breeds and such, then fact that I have several champions. I wouldn’t and don’t take them below that weight. Show (or working weight) is lean enough so I don’t feel that leaner would be needed. You don’t know what you are talking about huh? No below weight wouldn’t be, lean yeah its healthy for a dog.

Quote:
I'm just saying your preference for how your dogs look is making them hungry all the time for no good health reason. Is it worth it? Especially given the dogs don't have a choice. If they did, they would eat more.
No the fact that they are always willing to eat or would over eat isn’t because of a certain weight they are at. Well no kidding they would eat more. That would be a problem. Obese dogs suffer from health problems. Not only that but some actually die from over eating. It would be highly irresponsible for me to let them eat to their hearts content or even for 30 minutes a day. Just like some breeds regulate themselves very good other breeds do not. You can’t always let a dog do what they want or what they would do.
Yes it is certainly worth it, I’ll stick with what gets me results. Healthy, full lives. Champions that look good showing. Hard working dogs that can go longer with more stamina energy and responsiveness even in hot weather then a heavier dog.
Health reason is always a good reason! I’m not even sure which you consider underweight? Ideal weight for most any dog is considered to be with a waste line, ribs easily felt and last 2 ribs visible. Then there are certain breeds you will see that are leaner (usually the muscular athletic breeds – see a bit more rib, some vertebra or sighthounds which have even less body fat and hips show a little). Others while they might not be at the ideal they are actually not really overweight, their build just doesn’t allow for them to have a good waste line nor last 2 ribs showing, if you try to lean them down they’d be too skinny and have all ribs showing.
The fact that lean dogs lead lives with less health problems within reasons is a big plus. Of course something genetic like hip dysplasia doesn’t just go away but a dog kept leaner would be better off, to begin with and especially if the disease is getting worse. The same with the early arthritis. The more weight the more pressure on the joints. The heart and lungs also have to work harder and the entire body and system is labored during work for a heavier dog. Which can lead to not only the dog tiring quicker but in the long run possible issues with the heart (which isn’t fair to the dog). Living longer is a huge factor too, since lean dogs have shown to live longer and I want mine to live as long as possible it is totally worth it.
So this dog will eat at any given time and would eat way too much if allowed why? Or is she under weight for your taste too?

Oh and what about this one? I can’t imagine someone thinking she’s underweight. Only had done some mild walking around and already worked up a pant. She’s “always hungry” too or at least thinks she is. Just because a dog (thinks) they are always hungry doesn’t mean they are actually hungry.

Since I already posted my dogs I thought it’d be great to post some others too. Like this ***** since she has had an awesome show career and looks similar to my Jaxon who was posted above.

Then their other dog I like because has the same head and ears as Jaxon’s grandma. Also accomplish.

If you have a concern that is one thing. Pretending to know about a breed or another person's dogs, that's totally different.

Check Them Out

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-16-2009, 01:49 AM
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spunkerella View Post
I think her dogs look good. THey look like atheletes.
When I see APBT and similar breeds like that, imo they're supposed to look like that. Tucked up in the waste, slighlty able to notice the ribs, you can see all the muscle, and especially in the back, it looks like you could pour water on the backs and it would sit on the spine, cupped between the muscles.

At least that's how I see it. I compare a dog similar to as how I would compare a fine horse. Lean, yet a sense of power when looking at the dogs. And that is the effect I get when I look at her dogs pictures. Raw power.

That being said, I wouldnt compare a stocky Quarter Horse the same way I would compare a fine Thorougbred. It is different between dog breeds aswell. Just as I wouldnt compare an APBT to a Lab the same way.
Thanks a lot. I know they look like they should. So do the judges and other APBT fanciers. Lean, athletic and muscular.

Your thoroughbred comparison is a really good one. Reminds me a friends family we visted. They had a culled thoroughbred, when they first got him he was in running condition. At this time he was still lean with tone but they were concerned because of how much they'd been feeding him and he still didn't looked like their other horse.

Good point with the muscles. Starved or under fed dogs won't be able to maintain muscle mass. Once the fat reserves are gone the body starts to use its last reserves which is muscle. You can see a lean and muscular dog's ribs for the same reason you can see a lean, athletic person's ribs. They have a lower percentage of body fat. Or maybe Bruce Lee, my Dad, myself and athletes out there are just skinny underfed humans who somehow maintain muscle.

Here is another nice pic for you. All natural, good muscle tone. Day after she took two 1st, first time I showed her, large class and she behaved perfectly.

Edit for my first post, this is pic of the 2nd dog.

Its also interesting how my pig dog that I had to teach not to eat too fast was not kept lean (back when she was one that ate too fast). Her dam was soft not naturally toned and wasn't put into lean condition. She would have done much better at shows if she was lean, muscular and had a better attitude showing. Those 2 things hurt her dearly even with good conformation. Anyway my point is the fact that she ate nearly half a bag of dog food once and another time a bunch of food quickly out of a bucket. My female pup off her was the same and her grand daughter is the one who ate my in laws dogs food so quickly.

Check Them Out

Last edited by Spicy_Bulldog; 02-16-2009 at 01:56 AM.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-16-2009, 09:27 AM
Hello Earthling

Just making a note... love the picture of the dog with the glasses. Kinda looks like a dog version of Ozzy

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 01:08 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I don't keep any records or anything (I guess I'm not that organized, haha!), but both of my dogs eat Innova. I tried Evo, but it made my mom's dog REALLY sick and we prefer to have all three dogs eating the same food.

My Cocker Spaniel has allergies to wheat, corn, and soy, so I have to be really careful about what she eats.

As for exercise besides running around in the yard and whatnot, I walk the dogs at least once a day. Usually, though, they get walked twice...one time it's a normal fast walk and the other time we go running or jogging. Sometimes I take my dogs hiking or to the park.

If the weather's bad, I don't walk them, and instead we play games inside (fetch, find the treats, keep away, etc.).

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 06:35 PM
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiancritter View Post
Just making a note... love the picture of the dog with the glasses. Kinda looks like a dog version of Ozzy
Dog version of Ozzy....lol

Although that isn't a dog, its a furry human.

Check Them Out

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 06:29 PM
Hello Earthling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spicy_Bulldog View Post
Dog version of Ozzy....lol

Although that isn't a dog, its a furry human.
With four legs and a tail

Tags
bull dog, conditioning, exercise