digging in yard - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-13-2004, 02:27 AM Thread Starter
Wacky Chimpnose

Question digging in yard

hi there. well, as some of you know, my dog chaquita gets some anxiety when i leave. she used to tear up carpet, but now that we are in the house (they are locked in laundry room with access to the yard) she digs a hole in the yard. she used to dig right by the gate entrance, but then we put some bricks under the gate. she'd still dig by the bricks, so we got about 12 bricks and laid them to make a little entrance for the yard. well, she still digs a little hole by the bricks. it's just the one spot. everytime i catch her i yell NO or knock on the sliding glass door, and she stops. what do i do when i'm not home? i could crate them, but i like for them to have yard access.

i know carmen used the balloons, but mine would eat the balloons. haha.

any suggestions about what to do? thanks guys!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-13-2004, 09:36 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I have a couple of dogs that love to dig!!!!! I have also managed to "control the location of their digging" by giving them a "Dig Zone"

This may not work for all dogs. Dogs have several different reasons for digging and pinpointing WHY she is digging is the first step to solving the problem but what worked for me was building them a "sandbox".

I found this solution by accident by the way lol. When we dug the hole for our spotted turtle pond we dumped all of the dirt to an area in the back corner of our yard claiming we'd "clean it up later" (famous last words). Well the dogs LOVE THAT AREA and have stopped digging everywhere else so I leave that good sandy area there for them and that's the only place they dig now. The kids go out there and dig with them sometimes building sand castles etc and the dogs now know that the area is their playground and enjoy it

Possibly if you give your dog a sandbox it'll help who knows...

- Deb

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-13-2004, 04:28 PM Thread Starter
Wacky Chimpnose

hey there.

she is digging as close to the gate as possible to get out because she doesn't like it when i leave. that's why she digs. it's a little anxiety.

i guess a sandbox would be a last alternative cause we just spent thousands on sodding the yard. haha. i wish i could redirect it, though. but i have a feeling that she'd still dig by the gate area cause she wants to get to me.

she is nutso!! haha, j/j.

thanks for the help! i welcome any suggestions.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-15-2004, 05:19 AM Thread Starter
Wacky Chimpnose

bumpity bump bump...bumpity bump bump...look at jane's thread goooo....

hahahaha!

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-15-2004, 11:05 AM
Poo dont scare me!!!

Ok...here is my idea...it worked for us at least. Harlie and Max both kept digging in a specific spot in our yard and wouldnt stop no matter how many times we would tell them no, or refill it or whatever...but a friend told us this inexpensive way to correct this. Ok it may be disgusting, but it worked! Ha ha...we would scoop up Har and Max's poop and fill the holes with the poop. The immediatley stopped digging, and everytime they went to a new spot to re-dig, it got filled with poop. It only took about three days for our dogs to stop digging. They dug maybe three spots after the inital hole was filled with the poop, and they got the point after they just kept getting filled with poop...they wont touch the poop. At least my dogs wont. I would assume any dog wouldnt want to...The worst part is just that it stinks, but after she stops digging, then you can clean it up. Worth a try. Good luck with it.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-15-2004, 10:47 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

hey that's a great idea Melissa!!! I'm going to try that with Bicuit when we move if she starts digging there!!! Everything here is just a challenge for her to get out now but I'm hoping a new territory a sand box and different fencing will help my situation!!!

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-15-2004, 11:36 PM Thread Starter
Wacky Chimpnose

thanks for the advice melissa...but i don't think that would work here. my dogs eat other dog's or cat's poo and chaquita would just dig it up. she doesn't care. i don't think she would. hmm...i'll see...

i'll give it a: maybe.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-18-2004, 07:33 AM Thread Starter
Wacky Chimpnose

ok...i'm so frustrated! she won't stop digging. even when i'm here, but in the shower. so i think i'm going to try the sandbox thing. i'll just get a plastic swimming pool and put some sand in it. here's my ques:

should i put the sandbox where she digs now and slowly move it away from the spot?

also...should i put some treats in there to make her want to dig? hide some stuff in there every once in a while?

thanks guys!!!!!

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-18-2004, 06:10 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

Jane when I went to help out at puppy parties at work the othe rnight onw of the girls there had a digger!! The woman I work with that runs the parties told her to get a sand pit and bury all sorts of things in there...smelly things...so treats etc. and put things in there for her every day. You can also put a little bit of compost in there to get her really attracted!! That way she will learn by smell that the sand pit gives her surprises and everywhere else is just boring!! I thought it was a great idea and that's what I'm doing with Biscuit when we move.
I think it would be easier on you to put the sandpit where she is digging now and then move it once she likes digging there!!!

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-18-2004, 09:18 PM Thread Starter
Wacky Chimpnose

ok...well today i went to petsmart for food and ended up buying a doggy pool. then i went to lowe's (home improvement center) and got kiddie play sand (cause it's guaranteed clean and all that). i put it out in the yard by the gate but not over her original spot (cause we'd trip over it). i brought both the dogs out there and put some doggie cookies and meat-flavored milkbones on top of the sand. chaquita was more hesitant to get in the pool, but i picked her up and put her in it. they ate the treats. then i started burying them. they didn't really get it so i dug in there like a dog (yes...hardy har har) to show them how to do it. i would find a treat and let them have it. so they got the idea!

and let me tell you.......chaquita is STILL out there and it's been almost an hour! she really likes it and is digging and everything. i also bought some more kong stuffing to go with their kongs and another rope toy for chaquita. i also got two Greenies. hopefully i can really concentrate on keeping her entertained when i'm gone like i used to.

wish me luck!