Distemperment shot reaction. - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-09-2005, 01:07 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Unhappy Distemperment shot reaction.

Hiya..

My year and 6mo old Maltese had a distemperment vaccine and within 1/2 hour of bringing him home he threw up everything in his belly and went into shock! He was totaly listless.
I rushed him back to the Vet and they hooked him up on IV and watched him for a few hours. He was doing so much better.
We brought him home soon after and he is doing great
His heart was racing last night but it is normal now.

Anyone ever had this happen?
He can no longer have the shot and must stay away from dog parks and strange dogs.
I was a nutcase to say the least.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-09-2005, 02:23 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

A vaccine reaction is not uncommon, especially in a small breed dog. Lepto is the one we see reactions to the most, but Distemper can happen too, along with any other vaccine. Do talk with your vet about pre-medicating him before any other vaccines and I'd recommend some research into how often you want to vaccinate him. A lot of vets are switching to every 3 years after the initial puppy shots are given. It's something you and your vet have to discuss.

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-09-2005, 03:03 PM
Angel to Abandoned Puppies

Like Steph said, reactions are common. Honestly, I would suspect Lepto first. Ask the vet if that vaccine had Lepto in it and if so was it the first of that kind.

I'm sorry your baby had to go through that.

MCBA Member

I've Been Frosted

Tags
dog park