Do you dress up your dog? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-21-2008, 12:47 AM Thread Starter

Talking Do you dress up your dog?

I was wondering who else (BESiDES ME!) buys clothing for their doggies?
I don't really put clothes on them in the summer...but when the weather gets cold...they get their little jackets& hoodies,& sweaters...& even booties in winter to keep their paws from getting cold (tho both seem to hate the boots,not like they keep them on long) ...they love everything else though!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-21-2008, 09:01 AM
Super Moderator

I don't have a dog (yet!), but Chris and I are planning to get one once I'm done with school...and I'm kind of embarassed to say that I probably will dress it up, lol. Chris says he's not going to let me though, so we'll see

I dress Barnaby up once in awhile. He has a little blue shirt that was a doll shirt, and a halloween costume. I don't dress him up very often, but it's cute to do once in awhile for pictures and such.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-21-2008, 03:48 PM
is a little "special"

My dog AND my rabbit have full wardrobes!!
LOL, I think I have a problem...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-21-2008, 03:53 PM
Betta Bomb

Hmm,we usually dress Coco up every year for halloween and in the winter he wears a handsome coat (with fleece lining) We tried booties and he flicked them off once outside the door,we returned them and havent bothered since

I dont really like it when people dress their dogs up for fashion or for accessories like Miss Paris Hilton does but if the dog is ok with it and its not used as a prop then its ok. If i said i totally disagreed with dog clothes then i would be a hypocrite

As for dressing up bunny, i already looked at the dolls clothes for webkinz and thought what would be adorable on my bunnies and surpassing better judgement ,put them on my list of things to get...(*rolls eyes*)
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-21-2008, 03:57 PM
Dinky Corsetkisser

Lady has a home made sweater, but she will not wear it...when she was a pup she wore it and one year for halloween she was an angel with ashley lol but the wings and halo sort of attatched to the harness so it wasn't really on her lol...

I think in cold weather if you have a dog that gets cold go for it, and in the summer if you have a hairless its ok...but I am not a big fan of dressing up a dog just for looks, mine have beautiful fur coats to show off

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-21-2008, 04:45 PM
Hello Earthling

YES!! I love dressing my dogs up...both Kiwi and Kibbles, although Kiwi more often because Kibbles looks fat in clothes and has weird curves because of the way his fur makes it.

Kibbles, only wears clothes in the winter usually when we go out to play in the snow, because it keeps him from getting armpit snow balls , which anyone who has a long haired dog would know that are a pain to get out.Plus it keeps him warm and stylish.

Kiwi, in the other hand as almost as big of a wardrobe as me (lots and lot and lots of clothes...me not Kiwi). She has little baby shirts that I actually went to Walmart and bough for her, she has a little skirt and blouse type top that I made for her, she has a winter jacket because she gets cold and then refuses to walk and you have to carry her, drama queen.But I think she needs and new coat because I get find hers anywhere, and I think I might have packed it up with on of the dogs I was watching clothes.

Anyways Kiwi gets dressed up to go outside when its cold, it were going to meet someone (she got dressed up to visit the farm Kibbles and her are staying on this Christmas) and when I have nothing better to do. She also gets her hair done in an little pony tail and a bit of ribbon, and sometimes I do her tail too

Both dogs like to be dressed up, and Kiwi is always wagging her tail when she see's me taking out her clothes, because I tell her 'mommy will love you more if your not naked' and because she get lots of attention.

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-21-2008, 04:59 PM

I personaly think it's a shame to dress up dogs becuase dogs arent meant to have clothes! They are animals.....
I think its okay if you have a small dog like a chuhaha becuase they are so small they can't keep the heat in. But the people that get dresses and T-shirts are silly. I am not saying you shouldnt thats just my opinion. tell me what you think please.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-21-2008, 05:09 PM
Hello Earthling

I personally think that as long as the dog or pet for that matter enjoys it and aren't stressing out, its fine.

Some dogs actually like the attention of being dressed up.

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-21-2008, 05:13 PM Thread Starter

Seems some do,some don't

I don't think it's a shame to dress a dog or other furry up..my man thinks it's silly..but I just worry about them mostly in colder weather.Canada isn't the warmest country,& I know I still feel froze to death all bundled up,so I assume my dogs do too...especially since they have short fur.So I keeps thinking putting a warm sweater on them or coat when going out for our walks in the colder months makes it better for them.I don't bother to dress them in the summer much at all,but in the winter it eases my mind...myself I can wear a dozen sweaters a time& feel chilly!
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-21-2008, 05:33 PM
Betta Bomb

Ummm.... if you think its a shame to dress up dogs in funny clothes b/c they are "animals" ,then why would it be ok to put a dress on a chihuahua? to me if your gonna put clothes on it only so its warm in the snow-why agree with the lil dresses and tu-tu's?? im not arguing with you im just trying to get an explanation for your post.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-21-2008, 06:12 PM
Salamander Burgermuffin

Allie has a little hoodie thats really thin, a little purple coat thing, that just goes over her back, and a little insulated winter coat.. since she so tiny, its mostly to keep her warm, if shes going to be outside for longer than to just go potty. But her little hoodie is cute and sometimes i'll just put it on her for fun, but she doesnt mind.
I don't think i would ever dress tanner up, other than maybe for Halloween, altho i do have a few bandannas i got to put on him, but hes such a pretty dog already, and hes got a nice thick coat, unlike allie. he really doesn't need dressing up

I figure as long as the dog isn't uncomfortable in whatever you put on them then it doesn't matter, more than anything I'm sure they enjoy the extra time spent with whoever is dressing them, and of course all the people who say they looks cute and give them extra pets. Just remember if you dress your dog up, then leave it alone for a few mins, and find that they shredded the cute little dress.. your not allowed to get made at them.

My Furry Family
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-21-2008, 07:21 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

Frank and Belle have so many clothes I need to get them a chest of drawers. Frank loves to be dressed up. I say it's because he is a winter baby. We went to dog classes outside in the dead of winter. He always had a coat on because he was so tiny and it was a very cold winter. Belle is a summer baby and she doesn't really like clothes. I still cannot resist the cute dresses they have for girls! I do put sweatshirts or sweaters on them in the winter. Frank doesn't care what one I put on him as long as he is warm - Belle really prefers the plain boring blue sweatshirt. It's funny because she likes the boyish sweatshirts better than the girly things - How does she know the difference?
I also dress them up for Halloween. We usually go to the PetSmart Costume party - we missed it this year. I attend a Halloween industry show every year and tend to pick them up costumes there. I have also made them costumes - one year they were tootsie rolls - that was cute!
I have a kitty tie with a collar that I put on Tyler and Teddy. I once put it on Teddy before the vet tech brought him in the back. It was so funny because I could hear them fussing over how cute he looked and the vet tech showed him to everyone in the back. I was worried I wasn't getting him back!

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-22-2008, 11:11 AM
Playful Pup

Talking

I have 3 Min Pins, and I dress them up, expecially in the winter, they have a large wardrobe, they love wearing clothes and my boyfriend doesn't mind as long as its not 2 girly. They look so cute in cloths
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-22-2008, 01:06 PM
Newborn Pup

Ive only had my dog for a week now, so I havnt had the chance to dress him up yet, but I did buy him a halloween costume , so hes going out as a Jester !!

But my cat Big Booty Boi, I do dress him up in sweaters and he loves it
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-23-2008, 02:18 PM
Adolescent Pup

Yes I do. Especially with hoodies that are warm for them. They have some other clothing though too.

Check Them Out

Tags
booties, dogs, puppy, sweaters, winter