Do you have a beware of dog sign? - Page 2 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

View Poll Results: Do you have a veware of dog sign
Yes 16 29.63%
No 38 70.37%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 77 (permalink) Old 08-21-2008, 10:48 PM
Curmudgeon

A sign is just a sign, it won't stop people from suing you, possibly successfully. Having a biting dog is a lawsuit waiting to happen, regardless of whether it happens on your property or someone elses. Signs do not free you of responsibility, or the threat of a lawsuit.

They might reduce your punitive damages, but not your liability. If you have a dog that is a threat, be sure you check your insurance policy. It is possible that under certain circumstances (for instance: you being aware that your dog has bitten people in the past) your insurance may not cover your legal costs or settlements made against you.

This is a tricky issue, state laws can affect your coverage and your liability. You should know what would happen in a 'worst case' situation.

Bob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
I think, therefore I drive fast.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 77 (permalink) Old 08-21-2008, 11:41 PM
Part of the Pack

That's true, Mygala. One way you can get some advice is to call whoever does your home insurance and ask how they cover dogs. If it is an apartment, the property will have insurance for residents that would cover your animals. Ask the apartment manager. I got the information where I am and they said the sign warns the person entering the property, it can also cut down on burglaries, and so while it may not stop a lawsuit, it goes a long way in showing proof of responsibility, especially if the bite happens inside the yard/house and the dog is not running loose.

A dog with a history of biting is considered aggressive and yes, that would count against the owner, but a sign in general is a good warning that there is an animal, whether it has ever bitten or not.

One of my neighbors is a cop, and I brought this up with him, and he said if someone complains about a dog biting them, the sign can make a difference in charges being filed in some cases against the owner, too. If a police report is filed for the purpose of a lawsuit, the finding of the police is very important.

Pets are always your friend no matter what.

Last edited by dogslife; 08-21-2008 at 11:44 PM.
post #18 of 77 (permalink) Old 08-22-2008, 12:05 AM
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple-Hops View Post
we dont have a sign up and never really did,right now though the landlord doesnt exactly know we have a dog....we signed the lease as having 2 cats,but the guy that showed the place to mom was told we have a dog and he told her not to add it to the lease-so its a verbal lease on coco LOL- when he was yoonger though,and lived in the ghetto part of the city(not in ranks of big toronto or new york) kids used to tease him and he did get out a few times and bit a few of them...but they had what was coming! nothing follwed suit from those incidents he quieted down and will only go after skateboards and screaming(loud) kids.
You are really running a risk here. Since it's not on the lease (verbal doesn't mean anything), you could be really screwed if your dog were to bite someone. The landlord's insurance would most likely refuse to cover anything that isn't on the lease, and if you have renter's insurance, they might also try to drop you because you were doing something outside the lease agreement.

I would definitely check with whoever is insuring you, to make sure they cover dogs and damages caused by dogs. Because your dog has a history, you are open to punitive damages. Not sure of the laws where you are, but here if you are without insurance, you could lose everything you own.

Bob

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
I think, therefore I drive fast.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 77 (permalink) Old 08-22-2008, 12:46 AM
Dinky Corsetkisser

my dogs have never biten anyone, and probably never would, they are never out unattended (unless someone has to go to the restroom real fadt) they are inside dogs, but our signs are for our dogs safety, we live in a very very bad area, and I hope that while we are out there the signs might just deter the crazy people here from climbing our fence...its so crazy here where I live.

I was always told that signs were more to try and scare people then to really have a mean dog...but you never know, I do hope mine work and maybe the people will stay away, 7 of our neighbors have been robbed, luckily we have not been yet, but our car was broken into 4 times in our driveway...police say we are in a bad spot cause the highway is right there so its easy to hit and run...so maybe my signs are helping a little lol

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

post #20 of 77 (permalink) Old 08-22-2008, 04:24 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

here, i'm pretty sure if someone goes into your yard if it is fenced, and anyone that comes in your house that is unwelcome, then you aren't liable for your dog biting, as they are considered to be watch dogs

however, if you don't have a fenced yard and your dog is out they aren't covered you have to have a fence

[/CENTER]

post #21 of 77 (permalink) Old 08-23-2008, 10:47 AM
Betta Bomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mygala View Post
You are really running a risk here. Since it's not on the lease (verbal doesn't mean anything), you could be really screwed if your dog were to bite someone. The landlord's insurance would most likely refuse to cover anything that isn't on the lease, and if you have renter's insurance, they might also try to drop you because you were doing something outside the lease agreement.

I would definitely check with whoever is insuring you, to make sure they cover dogs and damages caused by dogs. Because your dog has a history, you are open to punitive damages. Not sure of the laws where you are, but here if you are without insurance, you could lose everything you own.

Bob

i understand all that and i do live in Canada(no states),Coco is 11 years old now and has teeth as sharp as rubber erasers and like i mentioned he is calmed down and wouldnt actually bite anyone anymore,he'll just bark.The kids that he bit before turned out to be a kid thats my mom's friend and the other turned out to be my sisters friend-both knew it was our dog and both said they would only file suit if any real damages were done.plus,that was soooo long ago and everyones on good terms that nothing can be done about it now.

as for the rent issue,there is no problem keeping pets here b/c the plumber is a worker for the rental agency and said nothing in the way of having a friendly dog hanging out with him as he worked here last week.im not sure of the insurance here regarding pets but we've been here long enough and not actually hiding the animals(coz thats stupid) and theres been no real problems.Coco woudnt even go after an intuder to his yard anymore because we had some guy hop the fence to help put up the clothsline and he just lumbered over and said hello,to be honest im not worried about any trouble anymore from coco being wild because he's not.
post #22 of 77 (permalink) Old 08-23-2008, 05:34 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I have a sign on my gate that says, "I can make it to the fence in 3 seconds, can you?" It has a picture of a Lab on it. Then in my side window along the drive that leads to the gate I have one that says "I can make it to the gate in 2.8 seconds can you?" with a GSD on it. My main intention is to warn people there are dogs in the fence even though they are never allowed outside alone. I do like it though that it gives 'criminals' something to think about.
post #23 of 77 (permalink) Old 08-23-2008, 05:43 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocolatepuppy View Post
I have a sign on my gate that says, "I can make it to the fence in 3 seconds, can you?" It has a picture of a Lab on it. Then in my side window along the drive that leads to the gate I have one that says "I can make it to the gate in 2.8 seconds can you?" with a GSD on it. My main intention is to warn people there are dogs in the fence even though they are never allowed outside alone. I do like it though that it gives 'criminals' something to think about.
Haha! I saw a sign like that with dachshunds on it. I got my dad a sign that says "Dachshund security company" on it with a picture of a dachshund. They have it in their window.

--------------------
~Marcia

--------------------------

post #24 of 77 (permalink) Old 08-23-2008, 07:23 PM
Betta Bomb

cute! theres no real unique signs available in the stores,only ones with a silouhette of some distinctive purebreds which say "crossing"..lame,i have a mutt.
post #25 of 77 (permalink) Old 08-24-2008, 11:33 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I have weird ones like "Beware of attack fish" but none for the dogs. The cocker spaniels are usually indoors and if my dachshund is outside, he's in his dog run in the backyard. None of them are ever left outside if no one's around.

My dogs are all pretty small anyways .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #26 of 77 (permalink) Old 08-25-2008, 09:24 AM
Super Moderator

My parent's have a sign because back in the day Naomi would try to bite ppl if they came into the (fenced in) yard or into the house without one of us out there to tell her the person is okay.

But now poor Naomi is completly blind and partually deaf so we have to worry more about people walking into or stepping on her than we do her biting.

I personally don't have a sign, since I don't have a dog.

post #27 of 77 (permalink) Old 08-25-2008, 06:20 PM
RAT ADDICT

I don't have a sign,because I only foster dogs.
Also the dogs I foster are not aggressive.They will sometimes bark if someone comes here,but they would happily greet someone with waggy tails,then be aggressive.Being beagles and all and when I do have a greyhound here...

However some people see ANY dog and are cautious or stay clear...so I don't feel I need a sign really.Plus I live in a decent neighbourhood.

I want a sign that says "beware of pet rats" or something!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #28 of 77 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 09:18 AM
Dinky Corsetkisser

the man across the street from me put up a new sign today lol it made me laugh, it says forget about the dog beware of the cat lol...its so cute, but yeah his cat does bite lol...

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

post #29 of 77 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 11:54 AM
RAT ADDICT

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyDancer View Post
the man across the street from me put up a new sign today lol it made me laugh, it says forget about the dog beware of the cat lol...its so cute, but yeah his cat does bite lol...
Hahahaha! Thats funny.
However I do know cats can have NASTY bites!
I have heard of people needing stitches and things from cat bites.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #30 of 77 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 01:06 PM Thread Starter
Hello Earthling

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocolatepuppy View Post
Ohhh I just came up with a good one for Kibbles!Stealing chocolatepuppy's thing.

'I am fat and hairy but I can get the the door in -3 seconds what about you?'

I gotta make one of those.

Tags
dog, rawr, sign, woof