Do you have a Maltese? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-11-2004, 11:02 PM Thread Starter
And here I am again, showing my butt!

Question Do you have a Maltese?

Does anyone here have a Maltese and could they maybe tell me something about these little cuties??

Are there Maltese rescues in the NC area?

Any info would help.

Last edited by SpottyPoo; 11-11-2004 at 11:09 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-11-2004, 11:38 PM
Fluffy Potatokisser

http://www.petfinder.org/pet.cgi?act...TN49&preview=1 I don't have one, but there are several listed on petfinder. Check them out

Chin Mom to Lila, Skye, Ty, Rolex, Calypso, Lizzie, Jax, Sam, Sage, Lorenzo, Spitfire, Holly, Dylan, Leia, Punky, Kylie, Skylar, Jetta, Oreo, Emma, Forest, Georgie, Alexis, Picador and all the kits!
Pittie Mom to Kali and Orion
Rattie Mom to Drake and Dumbo
Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Plain ole Mom to Zach, Brandon and Connor!
Come visit us at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-11-2004, 11:45 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

My grandmother in Ohio has two and dotes on them. They're a bit too high maintenance (fur, etc) for my tastes but the two she has have great temperaments.

I just checked our rescue book and didn't find a listing for any maltese rescues in NC specifically.

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-11-2004, 11:59 PM
Fluffy Potatokisser

The ones I saw on Petfinder are in TN but that's not too far

Chin Mom to Lila, Skye, Ty, Rolex, Calypso, Lizzie, Jax, Sam, Sage, Lorenzo, Spitfire, Holly, Dylan, Leia, Punky, Kylie, Skylar, Jetta, Oreo, Emma, Forest, Georgie, Alexis, Picador and all the kits!
Pittie Mom to Kali and Orion
Rattie Mom to Drake and Dumbo
Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Plain ole Mom to Zach, Brandon and Connor!
Come visit us at
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-12-2004, 12:02 AM Thread Starter

I saw them -- thanks!!

Jade, how did your grandmother aquire her dogs??
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-12-2004, 12:19 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I think she found a breeder in Ohio, Susan. She bred her female ( ) via the same breeder and has a male puppy she named after my now deceased grandfather.

Stephanie

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-12-2004, 10:26 AM Thread Starter

Awwww...that's so very sweet.

I've looked up Maltese breeders online and tried to find one in NC and I am just soooo confused at all the stuff that's out there. I know all the "right questions" to ask a breeder, but that could take months and months. How could I find a reputable breeder in this area? And how much can I expect to pay for one?
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-12-2004, 11:46 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I know little to nothing about Maltese issues specifically or their breeders but from my own BAD experience with purchasing what should have been a "perfect puppy" from a breeder please allow me to suggest the following.... IF you are looking for a pure bred pup...

1) If they are not registered with the AKC (regardless what the excuse is..) drop them off your list

2) If the Mother, Father, Grandmother, Grandfather, Great Grandmother and Great Grandfather are not listed as GOOD OR EXCELLENT in the OFA consider moving on to another breeder.... At least try to ensure both parents and grandparents are listed positively.. Ref: http://www.offa.org/
The breeder should be able to give you both parent's AKC Registration Numbers... with those numbers you can perform the required searches...

3) Do some research online to find out what the most common problems are with Maltese such as knee problems and then see if the breeder will give you an "extended warranty" e.g. 1 to 2 yr warranty against hereditary problems. A confident breeder will. A not so confident breeder will not and you'll be stuck with whatever the legal limit is (3 days to a year depending on situation and state)

4) Preferably go with a breeder that only breeds Maltese rather than a breeder that breeds multiple breeds of dogs

Reference: http://www.malteseonly.com/ especially http://www.malteseonly.com/breedque.html

For rescues... you may want to take a look at:
http://www.adoptamalt.com/home.htm#About%20Us

Hope some of this helps..and good luck

- Deb

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-16-2004, 11:29 PM Thread Starter

I just saw your response today, PicOlio. These are all excellent suggestions. I have read a lot of stuff on those two Maltese sites, and they are a source of great info. I'm not familiar with the OFFA, however.

Seems like buying a purebred is a great big hassle -- so many things could go wrong. Ya think maybe one will just drop out of the sky and land in my arms???
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-17-2004, 11:41 AM
I Think I Need a Bigger Bear

Susan, there is a lady in Mooresville that has Maltese puppies. They're about $600-800

We think my Snooper is half Maltese and her fur is VERY high maintenance. She gets a bath twice a week. She's a little doll though. She's become a little more *grumpy* as she's got older but she's still my princess. She's very friendly to people but she's not thrilled with strange dogs. She's really good with dogs here though. She cuddles and plays with Tito all the time. And loves to harass Manto. She's really good with Louie (hedgie), whenever we have him out, she will sit nearby and watch. If he tries to leave the room, Snoop herds him back in the room.

~ Jodi ~

post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-22-2004, 11:38 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jade
My grandmother in Ohio has two and dotes on them. They're a bit too high maintenance (fur, etc) for my tastes but the two she has have great temperaments.

I just checked our rescue book and didn't find a listing for any maltese rescues in NC specifically.

I don't think there is a Maltese Rescue in NC but I know there are rescue groups for Maltese. I foster for NorthCentral Maltese Rescue and currently have one in my home now here in Raleigh that is needing a new home. Do a search on Petfinder.com - Maltese breed - VA location - although he is in NC they have him listed in VA for some reason, his name is Nuno and he is 8, a sweet boy.

I love my Maltese and was thinking about starting a rescue group in Raleigh but it would be difficult and trying I am sure as I also pet sit as well and wouldn't want to get a dog that doesn't get along with other dogs or have more than 5 dogs in my home at a time, so I don't think it would really work. Instead I just foster for groups as they need me, I love it.

Cindy
www.formc.com/happy - to see my Happy Girl!
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-24-2004, 12:29 PM Thread Starter

I found a little 3.5 month old female and adopted her!!! She is such a doll, full of personality and affection. Her name is Maddy.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-24-2004, 12:37 PM

awww, congrats to you, I know you are excited about that and spoiling her to death. If you are ever near/in the Raleigh area, we will have to get our dogs together, my Happy loves to play with other dogs.

Cindy
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-24-2004, 12:53 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

WOOO HOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congrats!!!

I hope we'll be able to see pics and learn all about her

- Deb

post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-24-2004, 01:04 PM Thread Starter

Check her pictures out here.

Tags
pure bred, reputable breeder